Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 09:01:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 317562 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: April 21, 2016, 05:32:50 AM »

NEW NEWSLETTER GOING OUT SOON!!! FIND OUT WHAT WE'VE BEEN UP TO + GET NEW SCREENSHOTS...

JOIN HERE NOW

I finished many of the sprites this week after joni did the art.  it was more tedious than i thought in some cases, sometimes it was very easy. to be honest in a large project i'm not sure what i would do differently. i think i might make placeholders the first time, but it's hard to know because sometimes there ends up being art polish you have to add in at the end.

my tip might be to make a game that you don't need to polish. butthen no one might buy it... which is why we're polishing ETO, then hopefully we don't have to make polished games! though, polish sure looks nice i guess and sometimes it can help communicate how certain things in the game work.

This week joni's been doing animation for a 2nd trailer we're hoping to release soon to get some press, I hope it works! It has a different approach to it, more narrative-focused and less focused on game footage. We're trying to figure out a stronger marketing angle that makes the game more interesting to first-timers, without being too disingenuous about the game. marketing sucks!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: April 26, 2016, 08:40:36 AM »

NEW NEWSLETTER GOING OUT SOON!!! FIND OUT WHAT WE'VE BEEN UP TO + GET NEW SCREENSHOTS...

JOIN HERE NOW

We've been working on debug/game mode secret stuff, and this image and a trailer for marketing! Find out more... with our next newsletter.... coming out tomorrow! Join here!

(Here's a preview)

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: April 29, 2016, 07:05:54 AM »

Newsletter soon! Join at www.eventheocean.com !

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 04, 2016, 12:19:46 PM »

So this week, making lots of portraits for the characters, and finishing up the entity sprites/animations. almost done!

we also updated the website, should go up next week. tomorrow we are going to email the press to try to get some coverage for next week.

stay tuned for the new trailer! hopefully this way of showing the game will be more useful

I forgot if I mentioned, but I've been working on a feature that's led me to testing hte game more, making sure it's stable, etc., which it mostlyy is! Bugs pop up here and there but they're usually pretty easy to fix.

in the next months as more environment art is finished we'll be able to better get a sense of the whole game as people test it.

play hydlide 2
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1664 on: May 05, 2016, 04:50:22 PM »

looking good! its amazing how you have so many placeholder assets and then suddenly: "BOOM!" its all together in a complete thing. its quite the way to do a game, cause you never expect it.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: May 07, 2016, 07:12:43 PM »

Thanks connor! YEah that's how we like to work, don't finalize stuff till things are really done, since you're usually just wasting time on needless polish (That will probably change, or worse, you'll be locking yourself into bad design decisions)...

Anyways we sent stuff to press this week, so yeah!

If you want to support our new trailer release, pledge a tweet or FB post here:

https://headtalker.com/campaigns/even-the-ocean-balance/

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: May 13, 2016, 05:36:32 AM »

new trailer~~

I've also started streaming recently: Over on twitch , streaming dev, MWF, 4-5 US Central time.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: May 15, 2016, 06:23:03 AM »

Just updated ETO's devlog's front page! Hooray.

(also add Even the Ocean to your Steam wishlist!!! Right here!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: May 17, 2016, 04:42:25 PM »

Good progress on art and stuff!

I've been streaming level design over at Twitch on MWF from 2-3 PM Pacific, so come on by tomorrow.

play hydlide 2
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 26, 2016, 08:52:20 AM »

This is looking real good!

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 31, 2016, 07:34:10 AM »

Thanks xix! Progress is great. I'm sending out a newsletter today if anyone's interested, sign up at www.eventheocean.com .

Past few weeks I've been finishing up that level design stuff and doing lots of other misc. things. Almost done!

play hydlide 2
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: May 31, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »

Tried signing up for the newsletter with gazer at interdimensional dot space but it doesn't seem to recognize space as a valid email ending!

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: May 31, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »

should work now! didn't know people had email addresses with those long endings.

play hydlide 2
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1673 on: May 31, 2016, 02:43:44 PM »

Wow , art changed really a lot since i came here

It's looks very impressive , the trailer video is also very cool

It wasnt a guy in the beginning ?

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: June 03, 2016, 05:56:57 AM »

hi, thanks airman4! And no, at first I don't think we decided on Aliph's gender yet (I think we were keeping it ambiguous like in Anodyne). But then as we fleshed out the story we made her a woman.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: June 11, 2016, 11:56:47 PM »

screenshotsaturday woo

play hydlide 2
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1676 on: June 13, 2016, 06:06:45 AM »

screenshotsaturday woo

Oh damn. Nice! The freeform painted backgrounds really pay off here. Do the clouds/water/leaves move or is there any parallax?

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: June 13, 2016, 04:46:14 PM »

screenshotsaturday woo

Oh damn. Nice! The freeform painted backgrounds really pay off here. Do the clouds/water/leaves move or is there any parallax?

thanks! yeah, some stuff moves. the water looks pretty nice as it moves, i figured out how to modify the UVs or whatever that flixel is using to pick where from a spritesheet to draw, so adding tessalated/moving tetxtures is easy now.  i mean, that sort of thing should be easy but i don't think the engine is really intending you to do that so it's kind of a matter of finding the right variable to tweak in the engine and exposing it... bad practice, but who cares!

(one gif won't hurt here... this is 60fps in game of course)

better quality
https://gfycat.com/VelvetyBronzeKingbird

we have the tools/etc so we can add leaves/grass oscillating in their rotating/scaling for the illusion of wind, as well as basic particle effects.  same with moving clouds. some areas do that. Right now the focus is finalizing the layers in each area, then if we have time we'll add more polish things, which i'm not sure if we'll get to if we want to ship by september or so.

--

also, i'm in kyoto for a while. i'll be in tokyo starting middle of july for a month, so let's meet up!

play hydlide 2
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: June 13, 2016, 04:48:32 PM »

The game looks lovely! Following Smiley
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: June 21, 2016, 03:37:32 PM »

Thanks!

new interview!

https://medium.com/@sean_htch/an-in-depth-q-a-with-sean-htch-han-tani-chen-hogan-the-co-designer-composer-and-programmer-of-89647d0ffe1b#.t2f1le5qp

Been doing some self-QA of the game this week. Ironing out bugs, fixing stuff. Joni's been working on environment art. Progress is steady and good!

play hydlide 2
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic