Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 12:39:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsComposer looking for new projects
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Composer looking for new projects  (Read 788 times)
Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »

Hi there,

Here are some compositions to give you an idea...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

https://soundcloud.com/cathaysanssoleil/sets/casiotone-tape-machines

This first set was made almost entirely with one little casiotone keyboard and a tape machine.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

https://soundcloud.com/cathaysanssoleil/sets/selections-from-the-memory

The second set is, as the title says, a few selections from a trio of recent self-releases.

https://soundcloud.com/cathaysanssoleil/sets/sunless

This last set consists of two short pieces using acoustic and electric guitar as jumping off points.

I take a naturalistic, experimental approach to music writing. I try to stay away from midi instruments, hoping to avoid writing cookie-cutter game music that you've heard a thousand times. If you would like free, original music for your game, please do get in contact;

[email protected]

Thanks!
Kaaeden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »

I really love the style to your music.

Ambient, uniquely progressive and enjoyable.

It reminds me of soundtracks from Machinarium and Botanicula.

If you made some tracks with your style and elements found in Nujabe's music; You'd have some really good stuff. Coffee

There are three types of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't. -bumper sticker.
Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »

Thanks for the kind words Kaaeden; glad somebody seems to have listened!

I really liked Machinarium, and ideally, I'd love to soundtrack a game like that. Would you know of anything?

Also, been listening to Nujabes (I'd never heard of him), he's pretty great! Could you expand on what you meant by combining my music with his? His music is very beats based and hip hop influenced, far as I can tell. Whereas mine is looser, and more influenced by free jazz and classical composers. Perhaps, trying to create some strong beats as a good backbone for the more ambient stuff would make some nice music.
Kaaeden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:34:30 PM »

Sure thing,

I'm sure you've heard some variation of the saying "songs are rides", "musical roller coaster" or something similar.

The majority of songs that reach a high level of quality tend to pick the listeners up, take them on a ride and then soundly drop them off somewhere they were or could have expected.

While doing the above, Nujabes has this re-occurring theme in his music; nearly each of his songs progress as if it were a melodic transitioning between photos and clips of the same theme. So you're getting variations of similar sounds that meld together in a rhythmic pattern that produces this sense of movement.

Your songs sits the listeners down and gives nice ambient music to one or two scenes or 'photos'. Which isn't entirely bad because it's a nice array of sounds for those seeking restful progression in music; but from speculation most people are looking for movement("the ride"). A flaw lots of ambient music is subjected to, is that it leaves the listener with an unfulfilled urge to move.

One way to produce this movement and keep your unique style is to have an occasionally surfacing rhythm or melody.

Hope this helps! and I hope my metaphorical references haven't left you confuzzled. Smiley

There are three types of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't. -bumper sticker.
Tipsheda
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:26:55 PM »

Your music is so ambient.  It would go great as a soundtrack. 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic