Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:29:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkEva Project
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Eva Project  (Read 8676 times)
Starkiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 01:57:21 AM »

Music is all good but as many composers told me in the past, it is always preferable to have content (like graphics) and a prototype (not some youtube video about another game), that way it'll give them a better sense of direction and what type of music would match the actual content.

Now since the beginning of this thread, it seems to me that you are trying way too hard to have a project up and running. I didn't see any relevant skills on your part, seems you're doing a little bit of this and that. Having experience as a gamer is nice but 20 years of experience playing games wouldn't be much different as having only 1.

My advice as others have already said, learn something relevant that you can contribute on the project. If you can't do programming, at least look for a game maker software. If you can't draw, look for free graphics, there are a lot. That way you can start doing something by yourself, build a prototype and THEN have key members in place (a programmer, an artist) and later a musician.

Let me give you an example, right now i'm building an 2D rpg and 3D rpg engine using XNA. I made lot of progress and i still have a long way to go before i approach anyone to join me.

win/linux/ios/macos/wp7/xbox360 developer
- C#, Objective-C, Javascript, PHP.
- XNA/MonoGame, OpenGL/ES1, Direct3D.
jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 03:14:50 AM »

"Let me give you an example, right now I'm building an 2D rpg and 3D rpg engine using XNA. I made lot of progress and i still have a long way to go before i approach anyone to join me."

Why didn't you go with Unity 3D much simple approach, you using a framework that Microsoft it self public announced it will be discontinued.

It's not about trying to hard, it's about knowing where are you going, and the time you investing in a project will pay off in any way. Portfolio or direct income.

At this time Investing in Unity is a great choice for any one who want to become a professional.

Another thing working with out a proper game designer for me is futile task. Not knowing if your project will at lest have a chance to be successful. Working like that is to be a bit blind...

When I was invited to that short film on the curriculum. The leader of the project was not academic qualified he ask me if i wanted to be the leader for the project, which I declined promptly. Why? Because he's perspective was much broader them my own. He was a much better "designer" to give a perspective to the project.

Most posted project about game dev are not going any where, why? Because people have no perspective on what they are doing. They don't have the experience to be the leader.

Any why it's my 5 cent about project management hope it helps some one.

Starkiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 03:51:30 AM »

First of all the fact that Microsoft has discontinued XNA doesn't mean we can't keep using it. It is still widely used, especially for Windows phone games and applications and it does work with Windows 8, XNA is far from dead, it just won't be updated that's all. So that argument is invalid, especially to the fact that i can mix whatever other framework i want with it or even build my own, in my case, the sky is the limit in that aspect, the only downside is cross-platform deployment and for me that's not even an issue. That way of thinking got me to actually learn Objective-C rather then just rely on Unity to do it for me, but then that's just me, i prefer to go to the heart of things and learn it in detail as i'm not in a rush to release something too quickly.

As for Unity, sure it is convenient for many reasons, especially for multiple platform deployment. Personally i don't give a rat's @ss about releasing on multiple platforms, as someone said a while back, Apple app's store has become a HUGE failure for indie developers and as a long time programmer (of over 25 years) i am used to code from scratch and i'm in no way comfortable using it things like Unity, not because it's not good, it's just the way i prefer it. Back in the days, i've programmed in assembler, c++, qbasic, pascal, powerbasic. There were no such thing as automatism like we have today and i feel that the people who have a similar background such as mine would appreciate the befenits if brings.

I'm sure you cannot fully understand this as you have no experience whatsoever in programming but i suggest you start learning something useful and relevant before issuing statements such as "Why didn't you go with Unity 3D much simple approach, you using a framework that Microsoft it self public announced it will be discontinued.". XNA won't be discontinued, IT ALREADY IS and thousands are still using it and i will still be using it as long as i plan on developing on Windows Phone, Windows PC & XBOX 360 (yes i even have a prototype of my engine running on xbox).

Can you say the same about yourself? I think not.

jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 12:26:43 AM »

Eva project is recruiting

Looking for members to join my project their profile can people that are starting to learn or more experienced user's. To gain experience on a hobbyist base.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:59:51 AM by jdc_01 » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 08:11:10 AM »

I'm not sure how tolerated continuously spam-bumping your own thread with the same post is, but if I were you, I'd knock it off.

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 05:22:27 PM »

Ain't nobody gonna join your project and work for free.
jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 01:14:39 AM »

Eva project is recruiting

Looking for members to join my project their profile can people that are starting to learn or more experienced user's. To gain experience on a hobbyist base.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 01:34:59 AM »

Please don't bump your thread unless you have something new and important to post. Consider this a warning.
Ashkin
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 01:41:31 AM »

this project sounds
*sunglasses*
dum
jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 02:09:14 AM »

Updated project status at: http://www.gamedev.net/classifieds/item/1788-eva-project/

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:08:45 AM by jdc_01 » Logged
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 03:20:15 AM »

I like the Akira bike.

Yeah.
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 03:18:00 AM »

Trains are epic ,
jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »

A update:

-Navigation
-Interaction
-Alignment/char progression
-Political
-Progression
-Crafts
-Action rule/History/
-Economy
-Rewards
-Multiplayer Battle arena
-Missions
-Classes
-Races
-Factions
etc...

Now the game have more functions, a deeper mechanics, and several modes.
Starkiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 04:49:23 AM »

A update:

-Navigation
-Interaction
-Alignment/char progression
-Political
-Progression
-Crafts
-Action rule/History/
-Economy
-Rewards
-Multiplayer Battle arena
-Missions
-Classes
-Races
-Factions
etc...

I assume you have screenshots or videos of your progress? (of your game that is, not someone else) and what is exactly the point of your last post because i didn't see any questions or requests...

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 05:04:28 AM »

-Really long, not-even-bothering-to-disguise it farts
jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 11:16:18 PM »

Starkiller are u interested in joining in to this project?
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 11:59:07 PM »

dum name.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Starkiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »

Starkiller are u interested in joining in to this project?

Don't you already know that i don't use game engines? Your update seems theoretical, especially with the etc... at the end, makes me wonder what features you didn't tell us about.   Shrug

Why not provide visuals if you already have mechanics and navigation?

jdc_01
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 12:11:51 AM »

I not the owner of the images used in the interface are from www.deviantart.com art and belong to their respective owners. They were used to serve as a place holder.

One of the 2 versions of hangar that I'm working:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92734064@N04/9056562614/in/photostream/

The navigation:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92734064@N04/9054335443/
Starkiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 12:34:02 AM »

I not the owner of the images used in the interface are from www.deviantart.com art and belong to their respective owners. They were used to serve as a place holder.

One of the 2 versions of hangar that I'm working:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92734064@N04/9056562614/in/photostream/

The navigation:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92734064@N04/9054335443/

Very nice hangar indeed, the giant robot looks really bad ass!  Ninja

Cool interface too, looks very promising, don't give up!  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to: