Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:53:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlade of Verdance - A 2D turn-based J-RPG
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: Blade of Verdance - A 2D turn-based J-RPG  (Read 38253 times)
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »

Update 102
Hey there! Long time no see!

After a break, we resumed our work on the game and made lots of small improvements and fixes.

Pierre made new props and we had to rethink how we handle sprites: it's now very simple to update a number of them in a single batch. I fixed some bugs and improved the sword attack on the map. We're also making sprites and writing dialogues for the NPCs of the demo:

Meet the old foxman!

More importantly, the long (and overdue) menu overhaul is on its way: no white backgrounds anymore! In addition to improving visuals, we're working on new features, such as items tabs, and new assets: character portraits, items sprites ans skill icons. We're also looking for a new font to replace Arpegius, the one we currently use. We're trying the cool-looking fonts at Pentacom.jp and hope to settle on a new one in the next few days.

See you next week!

Cheers! Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2018, 10:59:45 AM »

Update 103
Hey there!

We're still working on the new UI. The generic symbols we were using for items category were not fancy enough, so we're now replacing them: each item has now its own icon! We also settled on a new font, Karen Bold. We'll need to edit it a little but it should make dialogues easier on the eyes.

Pierre is currently reworking menus so as to provide more information without using more space and give them a more cohesive feel. It's a lot of work but we're getting there!

A preview of the WIP merchant screen with the new font and icons

The pause menu screen (also a WIP)

We also remade the status screen to something more expressive. Now, for each character we display:
  • The character's stats
  • A short description with some backstory elements
  • An artwork

This should help providing some context to the demo.

See you next week!

Cheers! Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2018, 08:16:49 AM »

Update 104
Hey there!

The new UI is mostly done! It still needs some polish, but the layout is more or less final and I think we've reached a point where we can share some screens with you:

The new character menu, without the ugly white background (WIP)

The improved equipment menu

The main merchant screen

Here's a higher resolution version of Marguerite's portrait:

Meet Marguerite, merchant extraordinaire.

Pierre is on a vacation so clean assets will have to wait for a week. I'll post a new update as soon as we have cool things to show.

See you soon!

Cheers! Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »

Update 105
Hey there! It's been quite a while!

We've both been busy with personal stuff, but the project still made a lot of progress nonetheless!

Enemies and cutscenes have been added to the game, which is now in a playable state. We still need to polish the demo before releasing and I guess I also have some bug fixing to do:

I must go, the forest needs me!

Joking aside, I worked on stabilizing the game and while it still needs some more testing, it's a lot more solid than previously.

We also added some polish to the game, mostly to the user interface: menus are a pretty important part of the experience in a JRPG, so we've decided to make them our number one priority. They're still work to do (especially in terms of animation) but we're getting ther bit by bit:

Oooh, shiny!

On the visual side, Pierre made lots of new assets and the game now looks way better. I'm probably certainly totally biased but I really think it's pretty good. But don't take my word and see the result for yourselves:

The clearing is getting more lively!

We hope to release the next demo very soon. See you next week!

Cheers! Beer!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 07:55:39 PM by tchassin » Logged

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2018, 04:41:04 PM »

yes good

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2018, 08:19:22 AM »

Glad to see this coming together, I'm a huge fan of the breath of Fire 4-esque battle view. Looking forward to the demo  Hand Joystick

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2018, 07:10:23 AM »

yes good
Thanks!

Glad to see this coming together, I'm a huge fan of the breath of Fire 4-esque battle view. Looking forward to the demo  Hand Joystick
Thank you, we hope you'll enjoy it!

Update 106
Hey there!

Bug fixing and polishing is coming along nicely, and the known bug list is almost empty! The game is now much smoother but, unfortunately, it's nothing very exciting to write about. I can't really risk introducing new bugs by adding features, so updates are going to be a bit bland on the code side until we release the demo. Which should happen pretty soon, hopefully.

I also worked on balancing the game witht the feedback from the previous demo, and I think we're getting somewhere. We still need a few more people to play it so I can get feedback on that.

Pierre made some nice looking cliffs so we can have something other than trees in the game. Still mostly trees though. I mean, the demo takes place in a forest, so there's always going to be a lot of greenery.

Don't worry, she's not hungover, she just jumped off a cliff.

Once we're done with the finishing touches, we can finally release the demo, so this should happen next week (unlikely) or by the end of the month (more likely).

See you next week!

Cheers!  Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2018, 07:03:12 AM »

Update 107
Hey there!

I have good news and bad news. The good news is the demo has been very kindly translated to Brazilian Portuguese by Ricardo Douglas, so be sure to tell your Brazilian friends about our game! The bad news is of course that the demo is not out yet.

Pierre and I have been working together on improving the treant sprite, which was too dark and not readable enough. It took a little longer than expected but we think it was worth some extra work:

Life's not always easy when you're a treant.

Pierre also made new item icons so those featured in the previous screenshots are already outdated. It took some time to find the right style for our game, but I think we're pretty much settled for now.

I will be presenting the game in public for the very first time next month at Tokyo Indies, which is a little scary but also very exciting!

See you next week!

Cheers! Beer!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:42:21 PM by tchassin » Logged

Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 21, 2018, 11:45:50 PM »

oh, i saw it on indiexpo few time ago. Is it right? Good luck! The good thing is that you can played it onlinen :D rare for a good rpg!
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2018, 07:32:03 AM »

oh, i saw it on indiexpo few time ago. Is it right? Good luck! The good thing is that you can played it onlinen :D rare for a good rpg!
Thanks! We do have a page on Indiexpo, and while we hardly post anything there, we'll definitely update the demo once it's ready. Making the game playable online was something important to us and one of the reasons we switched to Unity a while ago. I learned the hard way that a lot of people don't like having to download and extract a zip file to try a game. The finished game however, won't be playable in browser.

Update 108
Hey there!

The demo is almost ready for release! Unfortunately, I'm moving again this week so I'll be quite busy and won't have internet access for some time. If we finish the demo after Wednesday, I won't be able to upload the build until I get a new one. Sorry about that Sad

See you next month!

Cheers! Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2018, 07:10:01 AM »

Update 109

Hey there!

It took longer than expected but the demo is finally here! It features a lot of cool stuff people seem to like having in their RPGs such as some story elements, a merchant and a boss at the end. We hope you will have fun!

We'd love to hear you thoughts on our game, so we made this handy (and short) survey. It takes less than 2 minutes (unless you have a lot to say) and really helps us!

We might not be able to resume weekly updates before 2018 but we'll certainly try to wrap up the year with another post.

See you later!

Cheers!  Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »

Update 110

Hey there! Happy holidays!

We've been busy with patching the demo to fix a number of bugs found by players and also took some time off for the holidays.

We also hired a professional translator to help us localize the game in Japanese. Because the language is very different from those based on the latin alphabet, it took a while to get it working correctly and I had to fix text-related issues after releasing a first patch for the demo.

With the demo released and patched, we can resume working on the rest of the game in 2019!

See you next year!

Cheers!  Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2019, 06:57:51 AM »

Update 111
Hey there!

It's been a while! We're going to switch to monthly updates from now on.

After refactoring and making a number of improvements, we've started working on the next town, Ver Lanec, a foxman village that will replace the merchant clearing featured in the previous demo:

No new features are planned until we're done so get ready for a lot of level design.

See you next month!

Cheers! Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2019, 05:06:00 AM »

Update 112
Hey there!

This month haven't been productive for various personal reasons so we're still working on the village. Pierre has been working on the foxmen's burrows and it's slowly coming together. Have a quick look at some WIP tests:

Sorry if this doesn't fit on screen but I refuse to downscale pixel art.

I've also started polishing some things that we were not satisfied with, such as making black flames flash white then turn red while they chase the player around. We also made the enemy sprites flash white when hit for some extra impact. It's still a bit rough right now but we'll be sure to share some gifs later.

See you next month!

Cheers!  Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic