Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:52:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlade of Verdance - A 2D turn-based J-RPG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Blade of Verdance - A 2D turn-based J-RPG  (Read 38265 times)
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2017, 07:49:14 PM »

Congratulations on the demo release!

I know I don't really say much, but I really enjoy following the updates. :'3

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »

Congratulations on the demo release!

I know I don't really say much, but I really enjoy following the updates. :'3

Thanks for the kind words! Do not hesitate to leave a comment on the itch.io page if you played the demo!

Update 50
Hello everyone and sorry for the long silence, I have been busy moving for the last couple of weeks!

I am currently working on the skill system and making a lot of progress.

The main idea of the battle system is to combine atomic elements (heal, bonus damages, buffs, etc.) to create complex actions.

The previous demo showcases a limited version of this system. We felt it was appropriate for a first demo but it only allows for very simple combinations. Thus I decided to break the game for a week and rebuild this system completely.

The previous system only allowed for one list of effects to be applied at once when using a skill or an item. All effects had to be applied to the same target, so it was impossible for instance to add a life-stealing effect to an attack.

The new system allows for several lists of effects to be applied in sequence and on different targets. It is also possible for a single attack to hit several times or attack random targets. Furthermore, we keep track of how much damage and heal have been dealt at each step. The code is also much cleaner and more flexible, so it is easier to add new features!

I promise it would be more impressive with better art. Just imagine raining arrows or something.

The only downside is that adding new skills and items is now a little longer. Also the system is not backward compatible, so all previous skill and item assets have been lost. Fortunately, there were not that many of them.

Next step: buffs. After that, I will properly recode features that were hacked together for the demo, then start working on the UI.

Cheers!  Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »

Update 51
Hey there! Time for an update!

I just wrapped up the new combat system and recreated all the assets that were made for the demo (it still needs some testing though). With this, Blade of Victory v0.5 is about 30% done.

Previously, buffs were updated with various timings: attack buffs were updated after attacking and defense buffs after receiving damages. It turned out to be quite confusing, so now buffs are simply updated at the end of the caster's turn (even after his death).

The action enhancement system introduced in the 35th update also received a major overhaul. We had to remove it from the demo at the last minute because of balance issues. We finally came up with the following solution: the player has to build a "deck" of enhancements and each enhancement can only be used a limited number of times per battle. We hope this will introduce a new element of strategy during and outside of battles.

Finally, charged attacks, which were only available to the AI, have been recoded and can now be used by the player.

Next step: improving the UI during battles.

Cheers! Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »

Update 52
Hey there! This week's update is a bit on the short side.

The new buff system completely broke the buff-related UI code, which was written at the last minute for the demo, so I fixed it this week.

I am currently working on improving the menu navigation and fixing some UI bugs. It is proving a bit more complex than anticipated but it should be done pretty soon.

In the mean time, we looked for a better font and settled on Arpegius by Hazel Abbiati for now. Not perfect, but it fits the game a lot more. Here is a little preview:

What do you think? Is it readable enough? Any font you would like to suggest?

Next step: more UI.

Cheers  Beer!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:57:57 AM by tchassin » Logged

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »

Update 53
Hey there! Another week, another short update.

I updated to Unity's last version: it introduces many features I want to use but also many bugs I had to chase down. I also added a simple cursor system and sounds for the UI. I'm now working on general readibility.

(The cursor sprite is a placeholder)

In the meantime, Pierre is working on character portraits and they are looking pretty great, so it's eye-candy time! Here is a comparison between a quick coloring of a sketch I did for the demo and the new portrait:

Much, much better.

Next step: displaying messages to the player when things happen during a fight (so, more UI).

Cheers Beer!

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2017, 05:34:33 PM »

That is a fantastic portrait!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »

That is a fantastic portrait!
Thank you very much! I'll let Pierre know!

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2017, 01:50:29 PM »

My first thought when I saw the battle system was Breath of Fire 3 (and Nut People, to be exact)ーwhich is a good thing!!  Hand Fork Left Gomez Hand Knife Right

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »

My first thought when I saw the battle system was Breath of Fire 3 (and Nut People, to be exact)ーwhich is a good thing!!  Hand Fork Left Gomez Hand Knife Right
Thanks! Breath of Fire was the first JRPG I played and the series had a huge influence on Pierre and I. The isometric perspective during fights is indeed borrowed from those game, as it was something we wished there was more of.

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »

Update 54
Today's update will be a bit different.

I had some friends play the demo last week and saw them experience a number of crashes. It seems these were caused by the way the game handled assets back when we built the demo. So I decided to update it and fixed quite a lot of bugs. The new build finally seems not to have any missing assets! Hurray!

The user interface has also been improved thanks to the new font and cursor system.

On the graphic side, Pierre is still working on the portraits. Here's a comparison between Latharn's portrait in the demo and the new one (WIP):

Next step: migrating the bug fixes to the master build, then back to the UI.

Cheers!  Beer!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:07:55 AM by tchassin » Logged

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2017, 02:32:35 PM »

Update 55
Hey there!

I have great news today: I am quitting my job at the end of the month and will start working full-time on Blade of Victory! Huzzah! I think I will keep posting once a week, but hopefully I will have a lot more content to share every Sunday! I will tell you more about what that means for the game at a later date, I have a lot of thinking and planning to do first!

Regarding the game itself, I spent most of this week working on the user interface as promised. I tried to make damage labels more readable by adding an outline and gave them a non linear speed for some extra oomph. MP-related labels also have a different color now. I spent some time improving the HP (and MP) bars by making transitions smoother. Here is a little preview (with placeholder colors):

It still needs some work, but I will be sure to post an animated gif once it is done!

Pierre finished Latharn's portrait and I think it is pretty amazing. It really makes my sprites pale in comparison! See for yourself:

Next step: displaying messages about what is going on in the help window.

Note: I found a game breaking bug yesterday that can be reproduced in the demo. I will upload a fix later this week on itch.io.

Cheers!  Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2017, 02:42:09 PM »

Update 56
Hey there!

Today's update is a bit light on the code side as Pierre and I focused on improving the UI this week. We split our work between improving existing elements and designing new ones.

Our main concern at the moment is to display all the information needed in a limited resolution: we're basically trying to fit a PS2-era UI on a SNES resolution. We want to avoid the battle UI getting cluttered and the layout may drastically change in the future.

Next step: more visual improvements then back to displaying messages.

Cheers!  Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2017, 02:31:20 PM »

Update 57
Hey there! I'm now two weeks away from working full time on the game!

Another week, another update without code since Pierre and I spent most of the week planning the future of Blade of Victory.

We've decided I would work a bit on the dialogues and sprites every week rather than cramming them into sprints. I'll spend one day a week making sprites, one day writing dialogues and the rest of the week coding. Improving the visuals will both keep us motivated and help us communicate on the game.

We're now working on Blade of Victory v0.5. After that, we'll work on a vertical slice polished enough to be sent to game journalists, bloggers, youtubers, etc. Once it's done, I will implement all the features required to play the game from beginning to end: save system, events, cutscenes, etc. Then Pierre and I will work on greyboxing the entire game, add dialogues and minimal cutscenes. Finally, we'll iterate on this minimal version until the game is done.

We also spent quite some time planning the UI. We want to keep it simple so we try to convey as much information as we can through animations or other visual effects rather than using text or displays. This means I'll have to slightly modify the skill code this week. We're also working on other small visual improvements, but it's a bit too early to show.

Next step: more visual improvements!

Cheers!  Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »

Update 58
Hey there! Today's update will be quite short.

This week was quite busy so I didn't have much time to spend on the game. I modified the skill code as planned, fixed some bugs and made several small improvements such as basic visual transitions between maps. There is always room for improvement and I could spend months on polishing the UI, but I think it is time to add features again.

Pierre took a break from the character portraits and UI to focus on monster design so I can work on new sprites starting next week.

Next steps: display the turn order during fights.

Cheers!  Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »

For now I had to squint at everything- I'm sure in full screen it will be fine. Colorful world and the character design is nice- like Toriyama's they're not too busy looking. So when I found out I could hit things with my sword, but not monsters on the field until in-battle, I immediately thought: maybe there could be some small benefit in battle if I managed to hit them on the field
First of all, thanks for playing the demo and for the kind words! Glad to hear you liked our sprites, we try to keep things as readable as possible!

Sorry about the screen size Embarrassed. It is indeed hard to read on small screens or at a very high resolution. I tried enabling the fullscreen button and enlarging the canvas on itch.io, but it only add a blank space around the screen. I will try to have pixel-perfect scaling up and running in the next demo so that no one has to squint at their screen anymore!

Finally, trying to hit enemies with your sword on the field was the right idea since it lets your characters act first in battle. Unfortunately, we forgot to add fast enemies in the demo and since there is no feedback of any sorts there is no way you could have guessed. There are lessons to be learned here:
  • Without proper feedback, a feature is useless to most players.
  • Letting the player act first is not a very interesting mechanic.
I think inflicting some damages on all enemies would be both easier to feedback and useful against slower enemies. I will have to discuss this with Pierre, but I promise to improve this feature for the next demo!

AdamAlake
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2017, 09:45:59 PM »

Good luck!

Visit my website if you need cool scifi music!

Website
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »

Good luck!
Thank you! We will need it!

Update 59
This is it. I am free! Starting tomorrow, I will be working full time on Blade of Victory! I a bit nervous but very excited!

I spent the last few days working on a new turn display system. It took a bit more time than expected, but it is now 90% done. Once the last few bug fixed, I will replace the placeholder graphics so I can show it to you next Sunday.

Since CorazonAzul mentioned Chrono Trigger last week, I went back and played it again. I noticed that the animations had fewer frames than mine, but were very readable and expressive. I am considering doing the same for Blade of Victory and removing most in-between frames. The animations will be less fluid but the process has several advantages:
  • It makes adding animation easier.
  • It reduces the cost of screwing up.
  • It shortens the iteration time.
  • It is easy to add in-between later if necessary.
I will try this on the new batch of sprites for the next demo.

Pierre is currently working on the monster and UI design. I hope we will soon have some eye candy to show!

Next step: wrapping up the battle UI code (for now)

See you next week!

Cheers!  Beer!

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »

Update 60
Hey there!

This week was the first I worked full-time on the game. I finally decided to focus on coding and as a result, I got quite a lot done on the programming side!

First, I finished adding the turn order display to the battle UI. Take a look:

As you can see, the current target is highlighted so that similar enemies can't be confused with one another.

I also worked on fixing the pause menu. It was almost two years old and so buggy we had to remove it from the demo build. Now the pause menu is almost entirely functional. After fixing the last bugs, I'll spend some time on visual improvements. Here's what I have at the moment:

The layout is more or less final, but the rest is 100% placeholder.

See you next week!
Cheers!  Beer!

Sersh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2017, 01:10:26 AM »

you make good progress. And i like the breath of fire inspired composition you use in combat aswell!

Monster Sanctuary | DevlogTwitterFacebook
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2017, 02:08:41 PM »

you make good progress. And i like the breath of fire inspired composition you use in combat aswell!
Thanks!

Update 61
Hey there!

It has been another code-intensive week, but I managed to finish coding the menus! Yeay! The visuals are still WIP so I will show some screenshots later.

I also added pixel-perfect scaling and fullscreen support to the game. These features will be available in the next desktop demo build and the next web build will also be scaled up.

Gameplay-wise, hitting enemies with your sword on the field will now damage them when the battle starts. It needs some balancing, but it works.

On the graphic side, Pierre did sketched some visual references for the characters sprites and I started working on a new batch of sprites for the demo:

See you next week!

Cheers  Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic