Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412072 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 25, 2024, 03:10:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat's up with indie game reviewers?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What's up with indie game reviewers?  (Read 2358 times)
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 03:40:45 AM »

Nice take on Pong, I don't know about getting noticed by reviewers, but a few suggestions off the top of my head, in addition to the ones others have already made:

• Graphics that Stand Out in a Screenshot: A problem many games have is that they need to be seen in motion or played to get the whole picture, and a simple screenshot often fails to capture that. One solution (besides video) is to make graphics stand out for the screenshot, either by working on the art style (your art is cute, but is very flat and simple) or by doctoring screenshots to convey motion (add a trail to the ball, or compose several actions into one shot to give a general idea, but never lie about the actual content!).
  • I think you could make a little world outside of your game, you have nice characters and funny little details.
    This, something that really stood out for me from your game was the little story and characters about it. Maybe add pre-match and post-match dialogues with the opponents, something simple, maybe a short phrase they throw at you. Or add a little world map showing where you travel to... Pretty much what Street Fighter II did. Simple things like this give your game more depth beyond the game mechanics.
  • Hints and Tips: Add little text hints that explain game mechanics and details. Like, what is that cat doing there? And what causes the fireball to happen? Could also be used to reinforce the world as per the previous suggestion.

And maybe, if this iteration of the game does not get noticed... Work on the next version, take all the ideas and improve upon them! Smiley

Just my two cents anyway.

B6ka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 05:22:03 AM »

Yeah, I am an indie game reviewer that isn't paid and I do it as a hobby.

I also develop them as a hobby (did not even put adds in it). It would be great if you could feature it on your website, I would really appreciate.

B6ka
Game developer, cat-gun enthusiast, alligator farmer
B6ka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 05:29:23 AM »

Nice take on Pong, I don't know about getting noticed by reviewers, but a few suggestions off the top of my head, in addition to the ones others have already made:

• Graphics that Stand Out in a Screenshot: A problem many games have is that they need to be seen in motion or played to get the whole picture, and a simple screenshot often fails to capture that. One solution (besides video) is to make graphics stand out for the screenshot, either by working on the art style (your art is cute, but is very flat and simple) or by doctoring screenshots to convey motion (add a trail to the ball, or compose several actions into one shot to give a general idea, but never lie about the actual content!).
  • This, something that really stood out for me from your game was the little story and characters about it. Maybe add pre-match and post-match dialogues with the opponents, something simple, maybe a short phrase they throw at you. Or add a little world map showing where you travel to... Pretty much what Street Fighter II did. Simple things like this give your game more depth beyond the game mechanics.
  • Hints and Tips: Add little text hints that explain game mechanics and details. Like, what is that cat doing there? And what causes the fireball to happen? Could also be used to reinforce the world as per the previous suggestion.

Just my two cents anyway.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I also had something similar in mind, but I am working on it alone, and making really nice graphics takes lots of time. Besides I am kind of perfectionist so I often discard lots of drawings, so this adds even more time. On the other hand, I do have some other ideas and I am tempted to move on Smiley.

P.S. the cat just watches you play, no specific reason for it being there.

B6ka
WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 01:40:57 AM »

Yeah, I am an indie game reviewer that isn't paid and I do it as a hobby.

I also develop them as a hobby (did not even put adds in it). It would be great if you could feature it on your website, I would really appreciate.

Didn't add ads either. What do you mean feature it? Mention your site?
B6ka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 07:49:23 AM »

Didn't add ads either. What do you mean feature it? Mention your site?

I meant if you do reviews and have some section where you give a list of free games of the month/week/day etc you could mention my game. Cheers.  Toast Right

B6ka
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 02:02:58 AM »

You've got to feel sorry for big reviewers like RPS, Totalbiscuit, etc. They must get CONTINUOUS "pls reviw mah gam pls rckpaprshutgon/tutolbescket" spam. TB actually says "I don't do requests" on his yt channel, but I BET he still gets spam.
In fact most famous people must have a horrible time on twitter - I'm surprised Notch's account is even USABLE with all the mentions he gets

So long and thanks for all the pi
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic