Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411978 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 15, 2024, 06:25:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessUnity | PS4/Vita/PSM
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Unity | PS4/Vita/PSM  (Read 1995 times)
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »

Through this partnership, SCE will offer Unity for PlayStation® with optimized deployment for PlayStation®4 (PS4™), PlayStation®3 (PS3®), PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) and PlayStation®Mobile (PSM).

Press Release
Unity Blog
PS Blog
Joystiq

What say you? I think Unity to PSM is the most unexpected and exciting.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:12:13 PM by Ouren » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:29:31 PM »

The PS3/PS4 exporters will probably be unavailable to indies
the vita/mobile one will probably cost an arm (just like the IOS /android exporters)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:50:56 PM »

Jeez.
You weren't kidding.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:57:48 AM »

I received a mail from unity recently
I'm not sure if I understood it correctly, but apparently you have to pay to upgrade your already paid unity3+exporter to unity4.

Quote from: unity email
Plus, we’ve got an extra perk for our loyal customers. 125 dollars. That’s all it costs to upgrade existing Unity 3x Basic add-ons to Unity 4. Just use the “upgrade” tab at the Online Store where your specially discounted rate will be provided automatically!

they're really just a bunch of greedy fuckers

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
cplhasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:22:05 AM »

I received a mail from unity recently
I'm not sure if I understood it correctly, but apparently you have to pay to upgrade your already paid unity3+exporter to unity4.

Quote from: unity email
Plus, we’ve got an extra perk for our loyal customers. 125 dollars. That’s all it costs to upgrade existing Unity 3x Basic add-ons to Unity 4. Just use the “upgrade” tab at the Online Store where your specially discounted rate will be provided automatically!

they're really just a bunch of greedy fuckers

Facepalm
SF
Level 0

Game Builder Club and 3d Game Birds Gameapp Maker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:54 AM »

Maybe I'm not as indie as I thought I was.

But I consistently get blown away by the people I see on this forum calling Unity expensive for what you get.

Can you imagine paying someone to port your current game (and all future games you make on your current engine revision) to a new platform for $125, royalty free?

It's a bad day to be travelling, but it's a great day to drink it!
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »

I dont think thats whats offered.. the offer is to upgrade unity 3 basic ios/android to unity 4 basic ios/android (and I suspect $125 each)

Which is still a deal since they were giving away unity 3 basic ios/android licenses last year, so if you snagged on you could be doing unity 4 basic ios and android for $250 instead of $800 if you just got basic unity 4 ios/android today.  Of course to go pro would cost $4500 ($1500 for unity 4, plus $1500 for unity pro ios, plus $1500 for unity pro android)  The basic version is very indie friendly.
SF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 12:18:06 PM »

You're right I misread that.

Even at $4500 that seems cheap to me for what you get. Unity 4 and the next console gen are going to be around for quite a while too, and it's not like they deactivate your old version if you don't want to upgrade.

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »

I kinda wish they had a subscription pricing model though.  Right now is the best time to buy into unity 4 as you will probably get 2 years of it (based on unity 3's lifetime).  However, if I had bought Unity 3 (everything $4500) then they announced Unity 4 (which they left some lead time in fairness), I would be like "shucks, I want the new one of course".  A subscription pricing option (say split the price out over 2 years for instance, say $75/mo instead of $1500, make a deal and say $200/mo for pro with ios and android pro) that lets you get all updates when they happen.  You lose the ability to stop paying and keep using it, but it helps get over the "geeze thats pricy for me pluck down today" hurdle (I can still use unity 3 now that 4 is out and I do and I am happy with it).  It would be a lot easier for me to swing $200 this month than $4500

Of course if I were studio-ish it wouldn't be an issue at all.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »

Yea, I'd much rather pay-per-month of development time or something.

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 02:22:21 PM »

ya know, even if I had to agree to pay for a whole year at a time I wouldn't mind.  I just hate the "oh dang I should have waited" feeling.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 02:25:16 PM »

Well, that happens so much these days. Sad
Phones and whatnot.

Unity DOES seem to be really too pricey for what I've seen it do. Hell, UDK is technically cheaper.

SF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »

Phones and whatnot.

Unity DOES seem to be really too pricey for what I've seen it do. Hell, UDK is technically cheaper.

How so?

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »

Phones and whatnot.

The moment you cross $50k you owe them 25% (which at 50k is $12,500).  You might get away with staying under 50k for a single dev studio, personally for me to quit my day job I need to make a lot more than that.  If you want to talk about a studio with say 5 devs, unity you'll need 5 license sets (lets asume android and ios, 4500 per dev).  If you make enough to pay each dev 50k (which is really low) you are easily looking at ~70k in licensing compared to 22.5k for unity for unity.  On top of that the unity license is useful for more than 1 year, so year two unity licensing is $0 and UDK is still ~70k, year 3 next unity (5?) comes out (speculation it might be 3 years cycle) and you get a discount of some kind most likely, but if not you spend 22.5k again after 3 years you've spent 45k on unity licensing and $210k on udk licensing, thats assuming fairly bare bone sales to sustain a studio, hopefully the studio is making twice that (putting ability to pay salaries in a reasonable level), then you would have paid $420k to udk and still only 45k on unity.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »

Phones and whatnot.

The moment you cross $50k you owe them 25% (which at 50k is $12,500).  You might get away with staying under 50k for a single dev studio, personally for me to quit my day job I need to make a lot more than that.  If you want to talk about a studio with say 5 devs, unity you'll need 5 license sets (lets asume android and ios, 4500 per dev).  If you make enough to pay each dev 50k (which is really low) you are easily looking at ~70k in licensing compared to 22.5k for unity for unity.  On top of that the unity license is useful for more than 1 year, so year two unity licensing is $0 and UDK is still ~70k, year 3 next unity (5?) comes out (speculation it might be 3 years cycle) and you get a discount of some kind most likely, but if not you spend 22.5k again after 3 years you've spent 45k on unity licensing and $210k on udk licensing, thats assuming fairly bare bone sales to sustain a studio, hopefully the studio is making twice that (putting ability to pay salaries in a reasonable level), then you would have paid $420k to udk and still only 45k on unity.

We're basically at the point where we're writing our own engine for this stuff, and most actual studios should be if they're doing console development. However, for much smallers and less experienced teams, Unity and UDK are easier to use, but they essentially are buying their way out of making their own engine, which requires substantial capitol for most.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:22:40 PM by Ouren » Logged

cplhasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »

If you can write a better multiplatform 3D engine for less than $4.5k then good for you, that doesn't mean Unity is expensive and that the people making it are "greedy fuckers". You're not really making a strong case here.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »

... that doesn't mean Unity is expensive and that the people making it are "greedy fuckers". You're not really making a strong case here.
I never said that. That was moi.

We may eventually use Unity for these platforms, but right now we've already got a little engine that works nicely for it.

I DO WANT TO USE UNITY, but it just can't be another $4-$5k for use right now. I think it's going to be wonderful for us to use later, but not now.

EDIT: The Wii-U kit currently just comes with Unity, so I suspect that PS4 and Vita kits will soon.

SF
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »

You talk about Wii-U support like that's a selling point.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »

You talk about Wii-U support like that's a selling point.
No, I was just saying that if you're planning on getting a PS4 or Vita kit soon from Sony (which is super easy to setup with them now), that they will likely toss in that Unity license like Nintendo does.

cplhasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 05:54:13 PM »

... that doesn't mean Unity is expensive and that the people making it are "greedy fuckers". You're not really making a strong case here.
I never said that. That was moi.

We may eventually use Unity for these platforms, but right now we've already got a little engine that works nicely for it.

Yeah sorry got you mixed up
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic