Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:40:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDETOX (working title) - Difficult Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DETOX (working title) - Difficult Platformer  (Read 777 times)
soundlust
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »

DETOX is a platformer being made by me and Deadhog, that leans more towards difficulty, avoiding traps and making it through a level alive.

You play as our heroic blob, a special chemical who is needed to purify his world's water supply, which has been corrupted by his evil doppleganger. No one had a will strong enough to take on the mission, so he took up action!

This is our first game as partners( and my first game, period!) but it's been a lot of fun so far and we have made quick progress. We decided to start small and see how well we worked together and work up to our ideas of grandeur as we went.

Some things the two of us are thinking so far:
  • We wanted to make a platformer that was similar to games like super meatboy and IWBTG, but hopefully as approachable as meatboy
  • We are still working on the system that will link all our levels together, thinking of a main hub that links sections together like the paintings in Mario 64
  • To have as many animations as we can, so it feels polished and lively but also as training for oncoming projects
  • We are trying to keep it so that we don't need a tutorial or a readme to explain, making it easy to pickup and go

We have a lot of mechanical stuff done, right now it's been difficult making levels that are as challenging as we want while being fair, and not TOO frustrating!.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:01:27 AM »

Looks cool. I like the liquid effect in the corner. I think you could make the side tiles for the two-tile pillars be a little less obvious that they repeat. Otherwise, looks pretty good.

soundlust
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »

Yeah SolarLune, I plan on to keep tweaking all the art as things go along. Thanks for the feedback.

Updates

We added a double jump refresh orb, and also finished adding a lot of the mechanics for the first world, and plotted out most of the levels for it. We want to make some small tweaks to the level layout so every death is deserved, watching a ton of Let's Plays of classic platformers. They handled things sooo well.

We have a few small bugs we want to get ironed out before moving onto the next world. We have quite a few ideas for new mechanics to add in the next world, and I get more practice with pixels and animation.
Also a quick rough for colors/ideas for next world
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic