Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:07:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsANTRAXX - Bringing Back The Isometric Mech Shooter
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: ANTRAXX - Bringing Back The Isometric Mech Shooter  (Read 61551 times)
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2016, 01:28:12 PM »

Created some fun in-game GIF's:

how do you gather for bloom? Simple threshold? Maybe you should base it on luma.

I guess you can probably render the particles in another renderpass and blur only this one, I think the image looks too soft when you apply it to the normal screen, but looks great on particles

Sam has been busy and unable to respond. He might get back to you about this soon. I (Leendert) have 0% knowledge about code unfortunately. personally I feel bloom can still hugely improve one way or another. Being a pixelartist I quite dislike using it. Perhaps what you are describing would be the best way to go. I dont know! Smiley

Looking better and better!
Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:59:48 PM by Antraxx » Logged
nam1995
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »

Looking forward to see the final version of Antraxx. Keep up the good work! Smiley

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2016, 08:56:35 AM »

Thank you so much nam!   Hand Money Left Gomez  Hand Money Right
SkullPixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2016, 03:25:15 PM »

This game really makes me think of Battletech and Mechwarrior Online: which have, in my opinion, the coolest mechs. Nice job so far. :D

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2016, 12:16:16 AM »

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to replying to our devlog SkullPixel - going to be posting more updates here soon! Hand Joystick
Pengus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2016, 05:40:53 AM »

This game is so awesome. I've played the alpha demo a couple of times, and today I had some free time so I borrowed this game for some audio experimentation. I started with just poking around with some 16-bit FM music, but then I also experimented with some convolusion reverb in FMOD. I hope this is OK!

I centered the SFX because it felt weird that it panned to the sides when you walk different directions even tho the robot remains in the center of the view. What I then did was load a convolusion reverb into FMOD and imported a recorded impulse response from a cargo dock alley (where trucks drop of cargo you know). I thought the acoustic space sounded really cool in this game. If your engine supports FMOD, you can have this impulse response generate in real-time in the game, also have the other players or events inside the same acoustic space and 3D panned correctly depending on what direction they are. That would be sick!

Also I did a fun little 16-bit battle loop song Smiley

I just did all of this for fun and for practice, but anyway I can't wait to try out the updates or full release version of this game. Awesome work!

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »

This game is so awesome. I've played the alpha demo a couple of times, and today I had some free time so I borrowed this game for some audio experimentation. I started with just poking around with some 16-bit FM music, but then I also experimented with some convolusion reverb in FMOD. I hope this is OK!

Thanks for the kind words, and sure I have no issues with anyone playing around with audio/gfx.

I centered the SFX because it felt weird that it panned to the sides when you walk different directions even tho the robot remains in the center of the view. What I then did was load a convolusion reverb into FMOD and imported a recorded impulse response from a cargo dock alley (where trucks drop of cargo you know). I thought the acoustic space sounded really cool in this game. If your engine supports FMOD, you can have this impulse response generate in real-time in the game, also have the other players or events inside the same acoustic space and 3D panned correctly depending on what direction they are. That would be sick!

"it felt weird that it panned to the sides when you walk different directions" - completely agree, have resolved this and all other mechs now have 3d positional audio. I'm not sure about FMOD support I'll have to look into it, but thats a great idea.

Also I did a fun little 16-bit battle loop song Smiley

I just did all of this for fun and for practice, but anyway I can't wait to try out the updates or full release version of this game. Awesome work!

Fan art and fan sound all in one day? Feels like christmas. We'll be releasing periodic updates to the demo (such as just as of this post). I will say that sound design is nowhere near done or at a level we're happy with currently, it was thrown in last minute but this does give me something to think about. I like the tune too, seems to fit Smiley

Pengus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2016, 01:21:48 AM »

"it felt weird that it panned to the sides when you walk different directions" - completely agree, have resolved this and all other mechs now have 3d positional audio. I'm not sure about FMOD support I'll have to look into it, but thats a great idea.
Yes, but I'm not sure it would work if the game is going to be web-based though.  Droop I get so fascinated by these things, having the sounds in the correct acoustic position. Like if a sound is 3D panned before going through the convolusion reverb, it will sound like it's "over there on the right side of the docking area, close to the harbor". Reflecting on the walls differently than the sounds in the middle. Wow Tongue

Fan art and fan sound all in one day? Feels like christmas. We'll be releasing periodic updates to the demo (such as just as of this post). I will say that sound design is nowhere near done or at a level we're happy with currently, it was thrown in last minute but this does give me something to think about. I like the tune too, seems to fit Smiley

Cool! If you want I'd be happy to play around with some more advanced sound processing, as if the game is web based I can use a DAW with more complex software to then render into samples instead. Glad you liked the music, thanks! However it was just for fun, I think for this game some way more subtle ambience stuff would suit as you'd get really sick of that melody quite fast haha. I mean it's supposed to be a online game that takes time, right. Having such a distinct high energy 40 second loop play over and over would make me pull my hair off haha.

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2016, 02:28:39 AM »

Having such a distinct high energy 40 second loop play over and over would make me pull my hair off haha.

we'd rather not have that. Especially not me (Leendert) since I am an audiophile that used to create reese DNB bases all day long!  Apoplectic Epileptic

Also; been looking at your portfolio and your quality is great - awesome stuff you got there!

As for updates we just got this faction model finally implanted in the multiplayer demo:

Thank you for reading..
Leendert Cool
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2016, 08:35:11 AM »

Having fun testing out our work in progress jump feature.
Want to test it out? come join us!
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2016, 02:40:01 AM »

Hello everyone!

Ever since we've released our demo a few weeks ago we have had a great response of the gaming community. Thank you for participating in helping us improve our player experience by testing features, reporting bugs and making other cool suggestions.

The request to hit in more then the limited 8 directions was probably the most common and undeniable. We have since then upgraded shooting to work 360° with bullets. Truth is we have tried doing this for beam-lasers and it just didn't work.

Luckily we personally felt that the mech bodies where still flipping too much. The lasers made us decide to add another 8 angles to all of the existing mechs. We are now going with 16 angles for each of them. Here are some work in progress examples of 16 mech part angles from the Tarantula mech.

shoulder rotation 16 angles

cockpit body rotation 16 angles

Another feedback request we've heard a lot is jumping. Now we don't think jumping would suit the game. We did however think of a solution for it.

jetpacks

Although we have had very low feedback on the graphical side of things - probably since we've announced it is a early pre-alpha demo - we did figure of some big revisions and changes.

Map construction is one of our big things for the game. Being able to have a lot of freedom is what our sandbox gameplay is all about. Because of the screen resolution and amount of art things get repetitive fast. We are going to adjust the tile visibility by removing the black outlines. A lot of new combinations for tile tops, walls and geometry are going to be created.

Newly features that are going to be implanted soon are:

The Mechbay
You can find our work in progress mechbay video on Indie DB
The actual parts still need adjustments when it comes to positioning. Since its a lot of work we are scheduling to do so after we have finished the 16 angle designs on all of the mechs.

Conquerable world map
This worldmap will represent non-player created conquerable maps. The maps will host various spots to either place a gun-turret or a sovereignty claim unit. Sovereignty is conquered when a faction team beats the map multiple times. Teamwork is essential here.

We'd like to end this update by letting you know that a lot of reported bugs and requested changes have already been implanted. We hope you are joining for another round to play. Your feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks for participating,
Team Antraxx

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2016, 02:19:16 AM »

After some issues with the NeuroVoider game we where able to settle things with the developers.

This issue has been sorted out, the Antraxx team and us analyzed the situation and came up with a conclusion. Thanks to them for being such gentlemen in discussing this.

Yes, we did infringed copyright of the Antraxx Osiris Mech design in the linked mockup and acknowledge it. As a consequence, we removed it from online spaces and shared with the Antraxx team all materials we could to make sure that no other infringement has been made. This mockup has never been reused.

How did this happened? We traced the origin of this mockup back to October 2014. At the time, NeuroVoider wasn't a playable game and we were still doing lots of design researches. My teammate came up with this mockup in the search of a graphical mood and to see if our idea of procedurally generated bosses was possible. He acknowledge using Antraxx pixels in the mockup. Nothing in this mockup has been reused since then.

This post is not meant to be an excuse, we made a mistake and discussed it with the Antraxx team, but I feel it is important to share this kind of facts within a creative community.

The team indeed changed the design at a later stage. Although that the game is still heavily inspired by some of our ideas, use of color in their color palette, design shapes and several other things, we do feel very honored for this.

When we started Antraxx 5 years ago there was literally little to no activity on mech games for as far as we know.
Today we see a lot more indies creating mech games and the E3 this year was full of them. Although there is no way to prove it we'd like to believe - we do not claim - that Antraxx inspired developers to start creating mech games again. We love the fact that mech games are back on the map and to anyone we have inspired we feel honored and flattered we where able to do so.

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2016, 05:41:00 AM »

Hello TIG!

It has been a few weeks and that means its time for another one of those article updates.
We still feel that releasing our tech demo in June was probably one of the best decisions we could have made. In a short amount of time we've been able to receive a lot of feedback and bug reports. This made it possible for us to modify, adjust and fix a lot in a short amount of time. And since we are running a Kickstarter campaign in Oktober time is extremely valuable to us.

We are getting closer to a fully functional alpha version of the game. The mech graphics are starting to look as polished as desired, map objects and tiles are functioning as supposed to. They're no longer repetitive and the visual grid has been removed.

The mechbay is fully functional and we where able to align most of the parts to their exact position. It has been a ton of work but it has been well worth it.

Next to this GIF animation we also updated the Mechbay video which you can watch on Indie DB.

When creating maps you can adjust the time of the day. To make the mechs stand out and make them more visible we've added another cool feature where some area's of mech parts light up in dark environments. The current preview is just a visual example. More elements of each mech component will light up like this soon.

The pick-up boosters are fully functional in-game. Not only visually working but the mechanics behind it for recharging or a temporary shield booster that actually works are functioning as originally intended.

Map construction is becoming more and more interesting. Here's some GIF animations!

The above image shows one of our stand-alone entities. Something we already implanted in the game before our map construction updates.

Today our in-game editor (that will also be used by players of the game to create their own maps) allows a lot more complex map creation by our geometry objects. Shown above the entities are used to create some sort of bridge. It could also be used to give more shape to a building.

The way our basic tile blocks are functioning has been changed for quite a bit. We now allow over 14.000 different tile combinations for each individual map pack. A single construction kit can be used to create a map. So when a user decides to go with a set theme they will be limited to 14.000 tiles. Do note that this number excludes our stand-alone entities and wired objects. Which both allow for more creativity, freedom and interesting contraptions.

The reason we're capable of using this amount of different combinations is because the top and the side of tiles are cut individually. This allows to combine each of the top and wall designs of tiles individually. It created room for us to add more variations to each design because we no longer need to have any duplicates. The animation above shows how we are now capable of creating buildings with tiles that look like corners, transitions or completely different patterns that match the color of the other tiles their outlines. It also shows how some tops look extremely weird when combined with the side, but then again allowing for a lot of creative freedom. What works in one map may not be able to work in another.

“Multiplayer mech battles, oh yeah!„

Thanks again for reading & don't forget to support our Kickstarter campaign that will start on the 1st of Oktober!
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2016, 02:11:47 PM »

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2016, 03:20:54 AM »

In just a few weeks we're going to run our campaign. In advance we are handing out flyers at Tokyo Game Show & we're attending and showcasing the game at Indigo in The Netherlands!
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2016, 06:59:30 AM »

The customization looks really cool and the flyers looking great as well. Wishing you guys the best of luck with the kickstarter! Smiley

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2016, 02:28:06 PM »

Thanks Chrilley!
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2016, 08:15:13 AM »

Hello everyone!

We released a new trailer, are running a steam greenlight, updated our free multiplayer demo and you can find us on discord!

Antraxx is now live on Greenlight
please vote by clicking the button below

We also have a free multiplayer game demo up on our website.
(You can only play the demo in chrome webbrowser!)

Ask questions or find players to play with on our Discord channel

Yesterday we released a new trailer for Kickstarter & Greenlight - check it out!

If you are a fan of pixelart or like to record video's you can zoom in by using the + and - keys on your keyboard.

We've added a ton of new parts and colors for people to use in the demo

Thanks for reading and voting,
Team Antraxx
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2016, 02:54:07 PM »