Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:25:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsANTRAXX - Bringing Back The Isometric Mech Shooter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: ANTRAXX - Bringing Back The Isometric Mech Shooter  (Read 59994 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »

you won't notice the tiles blurring into eachother as much ;

It has nothing to do with blur. Rather that your game currently looks a bit like this.

For inspiration, go to the pixel art thread on this forum and see how the really amazing guys separate the background from the foreground. Common techniques are more muted colors and reduction in detail, for example.

Explosions and lasers on the current set of graphics are just going to make people get headaches and perhaps even make their eyes bleed and I don't think you want that. Smiley
considering that the foreground/background are both traversable areas of the map, I doubt the common techniques would work.

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »

Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 11:42:56 AM »

You may be going a bit overboard with the tile detailing. Even the simplest tiles look like they're part of some intricate clockwork machine. You need to have the mech equivalent of an ordinary sidewalk in there.

Also, absolutely everything has black-and-yellow caution stripes on it. I'm not sure what they're trying to caution me against. Maybe "GTFO of this entire area before you get stepped on by a mech." :D

I love your pixeling style in general. It just needs some less busy elements for contrast, I think. I look forward to playing it!
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »

Since what everyone here is saying apparently isn't getting through, perhaps an image would help?

Here's a quick edit, which still needs to be reduced further imo, but I hope it shows a bit of what we are talking about:

Another idea would be to post the graphics of this game to Wayofthepixel. I swear that it will get ripped to shreds by the mods on that forum, but they will also be able to give you really good tips (and perhaps even better edits), because they are amazing at what they do:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?board=2.0

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 07:35:59 AM »

We're working with our artists to reduce detailing and take on board what you're saying, don't worry about that guys. Just really busy with code, been working on the editor lately. Here's a little preview of a few days work (most of that was restructuring though):

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »

Sorry for the double post Sam (the coder) and me (Leendert) are both on the same account.

Since its pixelart adjusting the colours isnt really hard to do. We will look into this in a later stage when we have the complete game working.

Thank you for all the concerns. Dont forget high quality artists who are on mentioned website (aswell as Pixeljoint) have worked for this project.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 10:32:04 AM »

I sense a kickstarter info vibe in that
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »

Thats right!
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »

Sorry for the double post Sam (the coder) and me (Leendert) are both on the same account.

Since its pixelart adjusting the colours isnt really hard to do. We will look into this in a later stage when we have the complete game working.

Thank you for all the concerns. Dont forget high quality artists who are on mentioned website (aswell as Pixeljoint) have worked for this project.

Actually I'd love to see a post over at Pixelation! This is some kickass pixel art.

You really need to sort out the cluttering early though, because it's so important due to the perspective and gameplay. It should not be underestimated.
I think it's fine to have lots of details on the walls and such, but the ground should be quite plain to add the necessary contrast between walls/mechs/ground.

Also, the warning stripes, why not have them near the edges of platforms and near walls? Would be a good way to signal the height difference. Also shadows are usually a pain technically, but they would really bring out the perspective.

You could even look into blurring based on what level you're on, even though most pixel artists cringe at the idea of a shader messing with their precious work. Wink

I did a quick edit testing some stuff, looks kinda bad but the mech stands out more. Shrug

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »

Some good ideas right there! Thank you!
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 08:52:15 AM »

I'm sorry, but who made the decision to take the logo from Metal Slug 7?  Facepalm

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 10:19:47 AM »

Wait... IT IS EXACTLY THAT EVEN THE GRUNGE
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »

WTF

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »

Ouch

Ant
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »

there's a million 'grunge metal text' photoshoop tutorials out there that you could have followed Facepalm

shame really because your spriting is sweet
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2013, 12:32:30 PM »

My apologees I forgot to mention the logo we use is a alterated metalslug logo for artists to show what we want it to be like. Thats all.
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »

My apologees I forgot to mention the logo we use is a alterated metalslug logo for artists to show what we want it to be like. Thats all.

That would be fair, but you're using it pretty much everywhere for advertising, which makes it look pretty official..
So it's not just a placeholder used internally..

Conker534
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »

God this is cool.
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »

That would be fair, but you're using it pretty much everywhere for advertising, which makes it look pretty official..
So it's not just a placeholder used internally..

Yeah we didn't really think about that. We've been putting off getting a logo designed so much that its gone to the back of our minds while we focus on other art and code. We'll get our artists on it straight away, thanks for reminding us though. A minor slip up!
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 12:20:31 PM »

Logo is getting updates etc.

energy shield ball that you can pick up in action:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic