Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412072 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 25, 2024, 03:15:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIncorporating an indie game company in Canada
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Incorporating an indie game company in Canada  (Read 595 times)
SkinnyLuigi
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »

Hi everyone, I just had some quick questions about incorporating an indie game company in Canada. A friend and I are hoping to start our own game company and we're in Canada. We're a little clueless about a lot of things despite lots of research, and we're hoping to do all of this as cheaply as possible. I was hoping to get a few testimonials from people who've been there..

Questions:

Did you form a company first or a product first?

How soon did you copyright your company name (or did you?)?

Have you ever worried about people stealing ideas? Did you work out any legal stuff prior to releasing games, or did you just release them without worrying about it?

Did/do you hire professional accountants to do your business taxes or do them yourself? (I've heard costs up to $1000 which seems not unreasonable, but is this something you really shouldn't or can't risk doing yourself? What makes it so complicated, especially in the case of a very small and fledgling company?)

In what situations have you had to deal with (=pay)  lawyers?

I'm willing to spend the money when I need to, but I would just like to be careful and talk to a lot of people and see what path they chose.

Thanks for any random tidbits anyone can provide!

Kind regards,
M
SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »

I can provide you with some information for Canada if you pm me. I Just don' want to post any general advice on the forum because I should probably add my disclaimer and that is going to look pretty annoying on each post.

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic