Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:24:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Who next?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Who next?  (Read 27389 times)
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »

Well of course it's not going to be a pokemon clone, that's really not what I meant.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2009, 04:03:56 PM »

I'm not really sure what you mean, then. IB's roster consists of characters from games as polished as Aquaria and as amateurish as Sexy Hiking.

shig
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2009, 04:23:20 PM »

Tim could be included as a support character that just slows time.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »

Slowing down time really has no effect on the gameplay, though, except to be annoying. And the engine isn't suited to handle slowing down some parts of the gameplay but not others.

Tim could work as a support character that stuns all your opponents. Unfortunately, I don't think it would matter, anyways, since I don't expect John Blow to give his permission. Though I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask...

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2009, 05:35:57 PM »

Are you in charge of this whole project, Soulliard?
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »

Maybe he could slow down only your opponent, or one person at random. Kind of like the clock in SSBB? That way he'd actually be useful
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2009, 05:43:03 PM »

Maybe he could slow down only your opponent, or one person at random. Kind of like the clock in SSBB? That way he'd actually be useful
Well, since Tim's main function is reversing time, how about he reverses the controls of one/all characters? That would make more sense.
shig
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2009, 05:43:30 PM »

I was thinking about slowing down EVERYTHING except the guy who actually threw the TIGbox.

I don't think it would matter, anyways, since I don't expect John Blow to give his permission.

This reminds me of the Castle Crashers guy. Did anyone try to get permission?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2009, 05:49:51 PM »

Are you in charge of this whole project, Soulliard?
I'm in charge of putting the project together. I try to let the community create most of the content, though, while I focus more on integrating everything together and working on the background stuff (like the engine and menus).

Well, since Tim's main function is reversing time, how about he reverses the controls of one/all characters? That would make more sense.
That just sounds annoying to me. Smooth, intuitive controls are necessary for a good fighting game.

I was thinking about slowing down EVERYTHING except the guy who actually threw the TIGbox.
This is a good idea, but it would require a nearly complete rewrite of the engine to include it.

This reminds me of the Castle Crashers guy. Did anyone try to get permission?
I don't think so. I'm not too worried, though, since the Behemoth guys seem pretty friendly, and they've allowed the Castle Crashers to appear as guests in other games (like Meat Boy).

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2009, 05:53:46 PM »

Also I think it does it's job with introducing indie characters quite well [...]

Yeah it has! Before I started helping out here I had never heard of Lugaru, Dwarf Fortress, Lyle in Cube Sector or Cave Story (Embarrassed) before, to name a few off the top of my head.

Now I'm a rabid Overgrowth follower!
null & void
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2009, 05:56:14 PM »

It has. I never played most of these games until just the past couple of days.
medieval
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2009, 11:26:35 PM »

I don't think you'd get many people into playing indie games if there's a lot of shitty games advertised in this game, so it's good that we have mostly popular games.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2009, 02:52:44 PM »

What about the Soldat guy? I think he'd be a worthy contender.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2009, 08:23:57 PM »

What about the Soldat guy? I think he'd be a worthy contender.

Isn't "Soldat Guy" a custom guy with a gun, though? Not exactly... iconic. Or even recognisable. The character, not the game. Game's pretty great.

Also I think it does it's job with introducing indie characters quite well [...]

Yeah it has! Before I started helping out here I had never heard of Lugaru, Dwarf Fortress, Lyle in Cube Sector or Cave Story (Embarrassed) before, to name a few off the top of my head.

Now I'm a rabid Overgrowth follower!

This. I mean, I knew of all of them before this project started, but not everyone does. Don't lose sight of the fact TIGSource is one of the more rabid indie gamer sites. Many folks with a purely casual interest would only know one or two. For a strong start, we need characters many people identify with, from games that should be known. We could likely stretch the roster out to... fourty-odd characters from fourty-odd developers before obscurity genuinely becomes a problem.

PLUS: We're totally open to new characters, Adamski. Iji got fast-tracked within the month her game was released, I recall. People played it, people enjoyed it, it was decided she needed a place. Now she's part of milestone one. Same goes for Xoda Rap.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I totally think Soldat should be given some loving in-game. It's well known and pretty damn good. Just not sure if the character's the way to go. But hey, them's just my opinions.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:35:49 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2009, 06:26:40 PM »

He is a customizable character, but there still is a standard uniform. There are plenty of characters already in Indie Brawl that I'm sure not many have heard of. That being said, I think the Soldat Guy would be like a mix betweet Samus and Snake.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic