Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 05:24:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Who next?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Who next?  (Read 27387 times)
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2009, 01:35:51 PM »

Hmm, as much as I would love to see Gomez in Indie Brawl, Nightshade... Brainsoup.. urm Soulliard (what's going on with all the name changes everywhere?) has some pretty good points there that I have to support.

Gish would be an awesome character, but any ideas for his movelist? He can shift shapes, alright, but we still would have to make up most of his attacks. But I have yet to play Gish, so what would I know..  Shrug

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2009, 02:28:11 PM »

Alien Hominid is cool, but I think Castle Crashers may be more well-known.
I wasn't suggesting a replacement a Castle Crashers charter. I thought why not have him in game also. Maybe not starting roster but a later addition.

Also "well known" isn't a really good argument in the indie world.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2009, 02:59:16 PM »

I'm really happy with all those decisions!  Beer!
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »

Also "well known" isn't a really good argument in the indie world.
Ha ha, true. Anyways, Alien Hominid is a good character choice, and if anyone else expresses an interest in seeing him, I can add him to the roster.

Re: Gish: We'd have to be a bit creative, but there are some good starting points for a movelist. A 'heavy form' attack, where he plummets onto another character, is a must. I had an idea for a side special, where he would dodge in that direction, temporarily invincible, to represent his slippery form. I also saw some Gish concept art where he could grab things with a tentacle, so we could work that in somehow. Otherwise, we'd need to be creative, but the fact that he can shapeshift means there are plenty of possibilities for interesting moves.

Yellowboy
Level 0

Hey, hey, whaddya say?

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2009, 06:44:38 PM »

A character from an unfinished game based on a flash animation based on Megaman? That doesn't sound like anything fit for inclusion in Indie Brawl.

It's been removed of Capcom influences, at this point. If you still say no, I understand. If Neo is not to be included, I have one other character to present. She's one of mine, although, I admit, kind of a stretch. She does have a Beta out (doesn't feature the engine I was taking about), but I have all of the weapons already designed. I've redesigned her character since this.

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/16526

Also, nice Iji.

I understand if Gomez is removed, too. Sort of. I'm sure that Fish isn't taking the inclusion of his character seriously, as pertaining to the nature of the game. Perhaps this is a sort of "Duke Nukem" joke where a character is over-emphasized as a badass. Sure, not many people will understand it, but then again, not many people know Gomez. As for other characters with unfinished games, I just don't know. It seems unfair to have this game ask programmers to rush the completion of their characters just to have them include-able in the roster. You'd have to remove Purple (although he DOES have a second beta out) along with several other characters. I actually support including characters from unfinished games, as long as a movelist is realistic (perhaps with Gomez's exception).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:57:44 PM by Yellowboy » Logged

Well, well, how can you tell?
godsavant
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »

If I were to really include a bad guy from Cave Story, it'd be the scientist. He's got waaay more moves and other things than Balrog and is a much more fitting villain.

I can't say much about your other suggestions, but this is a pretty good idea.  Smiley
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2009, 07:53:18 PM »

If I were to really include a bad guy from Cave Story, it'd be the scientist. He's got waaay more moves and other things than Balrog and is a much more fitting villain.

I can't say much about your other suggestions, but this is a pretty good idea.  Smiley
He should be a boosfight in arcade mode. Wink

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2009, 09:35:12 PM »

If you still say no, I understand. If Neo is not to be included, I have one other character to present.
Normally, you can't just suggest your own characters for inclusion. Kovski, Chutup and myself have done loads of work for this project, and none of our characters are in Indie Brawl. For a character to be included, it needs to really be something special.

It seems unfair to have this game ask programmers to rush the completion of their characters just to have them include-able in the roster.
Indie Brawl won't be done until at least summer, in all likelihood. And we can always add a few characters after it is finished, if necessary.

And it's impossible to create a realistic movelist for a character from an incomplete game.

Fuzz
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2009, 10:09:12 PM »

A character from an unfinished game based on a flash animation based on Megaman? That doesn't sound like anything fit for inclusion in Indie Brawl.

It's been removed of Capcom influences, at this point. If you still say no, I understand. If Neo is not to be included, I have one other character to present. She's one of mine, although, I admit, kind of a stretch. She does have a Beta out (doesn't feature the engine I was taking about), but I have all of the weapons already designed. I've redesigned her character since this.

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/16526

You seem to be missing the point. Indie Brawl is meant to feature characters that are famous within the Tigsource/indie community, not any characters made by any indie developers.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2009, 04:15:38 AM »

We're only excluding characters from certain incomplete games, right? Because I want my carp-killing dwarf.
medieval
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2009, 07:25:18 AM »

Well, Dwarf Fortress is complete enough so that we can take plenty of moves out of it, so I guess it is kind of a complete game.  Complete enough.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »

DF is at least released in playable form. And we wouldn't get rid of any currently completed content either way.

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »

I'm being lazy and not reading every single post, but has the Braid dude been mentioned yet?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2009, 09:36:52 AM »

Tim? He's been mentioned, but he really doesn't fit in. All he can do is run, jump and reverse time. The former is true of every character, and the latter wouldn't work in a fighting game.

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »

So erm... how come new characters aren't allowed to be in the game? I mean, they dont even have to have major roles, but games like this are great for introducing new characters into the indie scene.

It seems a bit sad to me, that only the popular or well known characters are being included. Id love to discover a new character during the gameplay, especially if it's well designed, has nice personality to it, and looks as nice as the existing Indie Brawl characters. I mean, even just as summoning characters or something. I fail to see why such ideas are being ruled out, give up and coming indie kids a chance in a competition or something.
godsavant
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2009, 03:35:24 PM »

So erm... how come new characters aren't allowed to be in the game? I mean, they dont even have to have major roles, but games like this are great for introducing new characters into the indie scene.

It seems a bit sad to me, that only the popular or well known characters are being included. Id love to discover a new character during the gameplay, especially if it's well designed, has nice personality to it, and looks as nice as the existing Indie Brawl characters. I mean, even just as summoning characters or something. I fail to see why such ideas are being ruled out, give up and coming indie kids a chance in a competition or something.

The thing is that we haven't even finished making the popular characters yet. It's a matter of priority, not discrimination. Obviously, we can always go back and add in characters from new good indie games later on, but the fact is that we can vouch for the quality of the games we're including. Not so with a lot of stuff out there, at least not yet.

Unless there is a particular game you're referring to, in which case please tell.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »

The only characters being excluded are characters from unreleased games. The main reason for this is that the game may be significantly different than we expect it to be (and it's always possible that it will never come out at all). Plus, it would seem almost like we're reserving a spot for a character based on hype, without regard to how good the game actually turns out to be.

Of course, once a game is actually finished, we can decide to add the character to the game.

I should also mention that it's not going to be possible to include every great indie character ever created. Adding a main character takes a lot of work, and I wouldn't want to add significantly to that workload until we're close to finishing the 18 or so characters already on the list. If everyone's still excited about the project at that point, then we can keep adding more characters to our hearts' content.  Smiley

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2009, 03:42:37 PM »

Ah, you guys beat me to it..

Anyway..

It's not that unknown characters are not allowed, but I think the more 'famous' (allthough this is a very subjective term) characters just have priority. Imho IB is meant as a sort of hommage to the greats of indie gaming, with a special emphasis on TIGSource.

Also I think it does it's job with introducing indie characters quite well - I think I know nobody personally, who even knows half the characters that are planned to be featured. Furthermore it will be quite a lot of work to get the characters in that just have to be there, so it can rightfully be called Indie Brawl. In Gainsworthy's perfect world edition I'm sure there would be place for all kinds of characters, known and unknown.

For now, I'll be happy to see an actual milestone hit...  Blink

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2009, 03:46:21 PM »

"but the fact is that we can vouch for the quality of the games we're including"

What does the quality of the games the characters are from have to do with anything, when Indie Brawl is a game unique to itself? I thought Indie brawl was to do with the characters and stage design uniting in one game, not the games they came from.

"If everyone's still excited about the project at that point, then we can keep adding more characters to our hearts' content.   Smiley"

Well I'm glad to see you're not ruling it out.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »

"but the fact is that we can vouch for the quality of the games we're including"

What does the quality of the games the characters are from have to do with anything, when Indie Brawl is a game unique to itself? I thought Indie brawl was to do with the characters and stage design uniting in one game, not the games they came from.
Well, we can't just start adding elements from any old pokemon clone posted on the GMC. Let's be reasonable.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic