Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:22:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignOculus Rift: VR Developer Kit
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Oculus Rift: VR Developer Kit  (Read 14574 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2013, 02:38:53 AM »

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »

I'm experimenting with the Rift and the PSMove right now (PS: you don't really need a Hydra, a PSMove+any linux/mac with a camera will do) but apart from being still a bit far from obtaining a satisfacting immersion like the one in the Tuscany demo, I keep having this problem where the Rift thinks that forward is down Facepalm

It happens with the demos too, even though they worked fine at first... strange stuff, might ask on their forums.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2013, 01:00:51 PM »

The hydra track the body without a reference camera, in this video he track both the body and the hand. Before someone else used a kinect for body tracking.

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2013, 11:22:10 PM »

I keep having this problem where the Rift thinks that forward is down Facepalm

Sounds like a calibration issue. I've run into this with one or two rift demos already, and I've worked around it by holding the headset in whatever direction I want to be forward when I start the demo.

It *should* automatically calibrate using the built-in gyros. I'm not sure exactly how to do that, but I have seen a couple of games & demos do that, and that seems like the right way to do it. I'm guessing it is something that has to be implemented app-side.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2014, 08:50:53 AM »

Bump, DK2 is out, Samsung Gear VR announced.

If you're curious about where Oculus is at and where they are wanting to go, they are livestreaming the keynotes of Oculus Connect right now: http://www.twitch.tv/oculus

Currently CEO Brendan Iribe, upcoming Michael Abrash and John Carmack.

Edit: Unity partnership confirmed, Unity 4 and 5 Free will support Rift development.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:52:16 PM by unsilentwill » Logged

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2014, 09:56:16 PM »

Bump, DK2 is out, Samsung Gear VR announced.

If you're curious about where Oculus is at and where they are wanting to go, they are livestreaming the keynotes of Oculus Connect right now: http://www.twitch.tv/oculus

Currently CEO Brendan Iribe, upcoming Michael Abrash and John Carmack.

Edit: Unity partnership confirmed, Unity 4 and 5 Free will support Rift development.

Hasn't DK2 been out for a while now?

It's the one with slightly higher res display and head tracking right?

unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »

That's right, but the thread's been dead for a year so just catching people up who haven't been paying attention. Also Facebook bought them, etc.

But the new prototype revealed yesterday seems to be the real deal, the consumer version may be coming soon.

Also check out Tilt Brush: http://www.tiltbrush.com/#video Super cool.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:56:12 PM by unsilentwill » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2014, 07:27:31 AM »

DK1 Is now open source, hardware too

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »

It will be interesting to see where that leads

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2014, 01:29:25 AM »

I haven't tried it yet, but I think the DK2's resolution is still too low
It's my main issue with the Oculus is that pixelated sreen-door effect.
Until that's fixed all the features dont really mean anything to me
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:08:42 AM by Mittens » Logged

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2014, 01:57:34 PM »

I also assumed 1080p wouldn't be enough, but once I actually tried it, I was surprised at how much better it was. Instead of being omnipresent like in the DK1, with the DK2 the screen door effect is really only noticeable if you're holding your head still and trying to read text or look at other small details. From what I remember, the next model has an even higher resolution, so it'll keep on getting better.

unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »

News! Oculus SDK 0.4.3 released, including support for Linux and Unity Free.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2014, 05:02:42 AM »

I also assumed 1080p wouldn't be enough, but once I actually tried it, I was surprised at how much better it was. Instead of being omnipresent like in the DK1, with the DK2 the screen door effect is really only noticeable if you're holding your head still and trying to read text or look at other small details. From what I remember, the next model has an even higher resolution, so it'll keep on getting better.

I tried a DK2 recently,
The improvement over the first one is truly incredible.
The head-tracking and refresh rate etc. are such crucial advances, I didn't feel motion sick at all! The only discomfort I experienced was a fear of falling in the moments where my brain forgot about the chair under me

I feel like the only missing thing now is the resolution, with a resolution high enough that you can't notice the pixels I think it would be mission accomplished, ideal VR headset achieved

The only work I could think needs doing after that is bringing the players real body into the game world. Since, personally, one of the main things that breaks the immersion of VR is not seeing my own hands in front of my face or my body when I look down

unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »

Samsung GearVR: The mobile VR device, partnered with Oculus is now available for preorder here, for $199, or $249 with simple bluetooth controller, to be released in early December. GearVR requires a Samsung Note 4 phone to work, a pretty big downside, but if you're getting one anyway it's worth a look ( Who, Me?...Durr...?)

Today Oculus also released their mobile SDK, actively seeking developers to create content. If I recall correctly, the store will be for free experiences at first, opening up paid options at a later date. From what has been said, the GearVR is essentially a portable DK2, without the positional tracking/horsepower of a desktop PC to run high end graphics. It was specifically designed by John Carmack to get the lowest level of latency and highest framerate from a mobile device for seamless VR at 60fps.

Sorry I sound like a press release, I'm just very excited in the first taste of consumer VR, and I'm mostly glad designers interest in mobile games will have more freedom for higher quality games than on usual mobile phones.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »

I'm too lazy to hunt the press release so it's amazing

unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2015, 11:10:39 AM »

Keep your eyes VR, nerds. GDC 2015 hasn't started and big news is already hitting.

Oculus Gear VR Mobile Game Jam
http://vrjam.challengepost.com/
A total prize pool of $1,000,000 will be split between two tracks - one for VR games, and the other for VR experiences and apps.

New version of Gear VR for Galaxy S6
http://uploadvr.com/samsung-debuts-new-version-of-the-gear-vr-at-the-mobile-world-conference/

Enter Valve VR.

Partnering with HTC, the re Vive is the competitor to beat Oculus, with Sony Morpheus so far trailing a bit behind. For those who do not know the history, Oculus after the formation of their company and Kickstarter in 2012 worked with Valve on hardware and software. Team Fortress 2 and Half Life 2 gained official Rift support. Then, last year, head of VR/AR at Valve Michael Abrash left his position as well as many other Valve VR employees to take jobs at Oculus. The Valve technology at the time surpassed Oculus and the teams shared many ideas and improvements. Steam Dev Days in 2014 also had a focus on VR, but stately clearly at the time that they had no intention of creating a consumer product. That was before Facebook bought Oculus.

So today, HTC at their conference before GDC starts announces a VR Headset to hit stores Holiday 2015. It has specs that match the current prototypes from Oculus, and improves on the design by promising the ability to walk, crouch, nad explore around a 15x15 space. Also important to note, wireless motion controllers, something which Oculus has been quiet about, saying they are trying for the perfect VR solution (recently purchasing NimbleVR). The developer kit is slated to be available this spring.

I repeat, this is before GDC is starting, where Sony is going to have a four hour Morpheus event as well as two talks, Valve has a talk on the 3rd, Oculus with their talks, NVidia announcing their own Headset, and more surprises ahead.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2015, 07:36:46 PM »

You forgot the revival of the trademark of virtual boy by nintendo

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic