Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:05:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XXII: "Contrasting Elements"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XXII: "Contrasting Elements"  (Read 5121 times)
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »

Theme:
Contrasting Elements

Description:

Game scores blend different genres and instruments to fit the game's characters or setting. Think of Bastion's western elements (acoustic guitars, harmonicas) mixing with the more modern elements (beats, synths). Or Uncharted's blending of a traditional orchestra with enthic styles and instruments.
Of course these are relatively tame examples, you guys can go crazy. Grin

Criteria:

Write a original piece that blends two contrasting styles or elements.
Whether it's chiptune/big band, or orchestra/armpit ensemble, or chamber quartet/dubstep, be as creative as you want!

Judging:

Is it contrasting: How different are the styles or instruments you're mixing together? While orchestra/synths is cool, I'm sure you can do something crazier! (Not saying that whoever has the wildest combo is guaranteed an insta-win, but just keep it interesting)

Quality: Does it sound like tiny angels kissing my ears?  Undecided

Deadline:

12th of April 2013 is the last day for submitting. The deadline expires when it's not 11th of April anywhere in the world.

-The piece must be a new track made for this challenge.
-You will post your piece HERE, in the official challenge thread.
-Other participants will listen to your piece. You will listen to other participants' pieces. Critique will be had.
-Three runner-ups will be chosen by me.
-A winner from amongst the three will be chosen by votes on the forum, in a new FINALS thread (with awesome voting tech and all).
-The winner will host the next challenge.

And Happy Easter!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:42:37 PM by 8thMode » Logged
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 07:23:36 PM »

8th Mode, first of all congrats on your win!

I am really digging this challenge, as its just so exciting to see what everyone is going to come up with! Smiley

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 08:26:48 AM »

This sounds awesome.  I'm going to start on it today

Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »

So it looks like I'm starting proceedings!

Ronin Meets Desperado (And then they fight robots)

I decided to double down on the theme here since I found it so interesting!

The far east meets the wild west, then they must join forces to destroy evil robots  Cheesy

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:31:23 AM by Steparnicus » Logged

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:00:19 PM »

Not saying anything till the end of course, but my mind is in pieces right now. Addicted

Would you be so kind as to share what synths/samples you are using?
Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:04:07 AM »

Sure thing, I kind of used a lot of my 'arsenal' on this one.  Big Laff

The Harmonica is a free sample pack from Boulder sounds, and the Guitars are both freebies from Pettinhouse. 

The Japanese instruments (Shamisen & Shakuhachi) are from the East West Colossus "Ethnic Pitched" library. 

Trumpets and Timpani are from the Edirol Orchestral VST plugin.

I used good ole EZDrummer for my acoustic drums, and the dubstep drums and FX samples are from the erb N Dub sample pack (which is mainly drum and bass stuff)

Dubstep Bass is a mix of NI Massive and FM8 VSTs.  They both take ages to learn, but are worth putting time into if you want to do anything dubsteppy.

And other samples like the bell and such are just free ones I found on stock websites and pitched and repurposed. 

Thats pretty much everything!

petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:27:47 AM »

Tarantino would love it

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »

Thanks Steparnicus, I've been trying to get into a little Dubstep, and Massive seems like the general consensus. There's too much stuff to buy Cry

Anyway, looking foward to hearing everybody's submissions!
christianc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »

Ahh, this is right up my alley Smiley I'll have to start working on one in a couple days.

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »

Pity you didn't do this before Calum and I did our collaberation "Lil' Chip's Big Adventure" ... :p 

I'd love to see one use a slap bass, banjo, trumpet, and xylophone in a track. Smiley  In fact... I might do that myself. o_o

medieval
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 09:14:45 AM »

do you subtract points for lo-fi sounds? cause if you do it's insta-lose for me
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 12:47:58 PM »

Nah, lo-fi is where it's at!
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »

Pulled out the real instruments to make...this.

https://soundcloud.com/bleakprospects/moderne

medieval
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/ronin-narasu/ancient-remains

I poured the fucking deepest shit into this one
Blambo
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/ronin-narasu/ancient-remains

I poured the fucking deepest shit into this one
That is just badass.
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »

So, I should be able to toss something up for this... I wrote something for it, but I'm waiting on someone else for the vocals, and also still adding little bits and pieces here and there...

Edit - So, I am pretty confident I'm going to have something posted in here tonight, by the latest tomorrow evening. Now, a great question is... where the hell is everybody else at!? o_o  I think steparnicus scared everybody off with his entry...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:05:22 AM by ZackParrish » Logged

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »

I've got something in the works, but my schedule got a little hectic this week.  Any chance I can get a 1-day extension?

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »

Sure, one day extension is cool.

Come on guys, we need more entries! Right now I don't even have to choose!
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »

I'm 95% done, have to polish up the vocal track, then make a last pass at the mixing of everything.  Should have it uploaded tomorrow evening sometime.

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »

http://soundcloud.com/zack-parrish/experimental

That's mine, but as always I went overboard and I'll probably get disqualified as a result... you said two and I kind of ... just kept adding and adding. Grin

Track contains...
Violins, Violas, Celli, Solo Cello, Contrabass, Trumpet, Horns, Solo Horn, Trombones, Tuba, Two Grand Pianos, Penny Whistle, Oboe, Accordion, Dulcimer, Banjo, Mandolin, Jazz Kit, Rock Kit, Synthetic Kit, Square Wave, Synth Pad(custom), Pipe Organ, Steel String Acoustic Guitar, Electric Bass, Electric Guitar(Rhythm & Lead), Clavichord, Sitar, Devil Chaser, Didgeridoo, Ticki-Ticki, Djembe, Boys Choir, Beer Bottles(Blown), Glockenspiel played using pingpong balls, and Solo Vocalist.

Majority of the parts were written using their traditional styles(Banjo and Mandolin playing blue grass, sitar playing... sitar, ethnic drums being ethnic, didgeridoo gettin' down like an aboriginal dude, elect guitar playing metal, etc).

But alas, you said two, I went ... well past that.  But to be fair, you didn't say a maximum of two! :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:31:05 PM by ZackParrish » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic