Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:37:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsplease delete
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: please delete  (Read 40437 times)
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2013, 03:15:19 AM »

@dancing_dead
Sure.

thanks.
by caching I meant pretty much this - that there's a single render target that gets drawn on together with the lightmap, but does not require some additional re-calculations (it's only updated where the light goes). the part that confused me was the size of the fogmap (I thought that it was 1:1 with the pixels in the actual world, that would make for one pretty big render target), but a single pixel for a single tile might actually work, if it's a single color of fog that you have to draw on the map beneath it. pretty nice, I have to say!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »

Loooking good Gabe!

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »

This is starting to look very slick.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2013, 11:53:13 PM »

for me it >looks< grey and rough, but yeah I saw the first devlog video and there are a few cool mechanics, like the whole companion-thing in a roguelike. Not a big fan of the genre but that seems new to me, at least never 've seen it anywhere else

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2013, 03:47:46 AM »

just hopped on to check in on the progress of this game... Yep, still awesome. Smiley

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2014, 01:50:42 AM »

I love your logo and the name of the game.... also everything else. Looking forward to more!

Kekec
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2014, 05:35:09 AM »

This and The Archer are some very inspirational projects.

Gabriel could you please recommend some inspirational material you like and go to in times of needed inspiration?

Throughout the Archer devblog you've kept mentioning how you needed to refill on some inspirational stuff. I've always wondered what interesting stuff that might be?

Thanks for the time
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2014, 12:35:49 PM »

I've always wondered what happened to The Archer. Sad

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »

He became "The Straightener".

This is his story.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Swifty
Level 2

Must Keep Walking.

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »

Edit, paged:
DEVLOG 42
Since the last update, I've been working exclusively on the overworld generation and the overworld tester mode. At the moment, it's not very deep - it just spits out some zones and pushes theme away from each other based on a certain no-overlap radius and pulls them together based on a density variable. I'll be looking to make this more interesting for the next update, and integrate more high-level behaviours for different zone types, such as zones being able to spawn children (cities surrounded by towns, or castles surrounded by villages). I'm also considering a adding terrain layer that lives beneath the zones and affects their tilesets and things like that.

The level generation for the actual game is currently broken, and I'm in the process of refactoring a bunch of things so I can get it working again. The main issue is that the editor modes are really poorly thought out, and use a lot of global variables and set things up differently to how they are used in the game. I'm changing them to use a more generic object-oriented structure instead of editor-specific structures.

I'm also working on integrating all three editor modes (dungeon, zone, and world) into a single editor that can be used more easily and is more in line with how things will be structured in the actual game. Right now, almost everything is in line except for a few little odds and ends, and I'm getting close to having everything working harmoniously. I want to be able to generate a world, zoom into a zone, generate that zone, then go into the individual cells and test out the different ways that cell might turn out.

One thing I'm really growing to resent about GML is that it lives in this weird place between sequential languages and object-oriented languages, and you have to do a lot of confusing bullshit in order to simulate OOP with a series of scripts. For my next game I am definitely considering switching over to Haxe.

I'm switching my posts to a journal format instead of the previous bullet points.

I like the Journal format, I think it invites more discussion Smiley And we get to see your thoughts and reasoning behind design/programming choices; which is nice.

Love the look of the overworld engine so far, the terrain layer would be a really nice addition and would go a long way to adding a sense of life to the world, imo.

Looking forward to seeing more Gabriel, awesome work!

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »

A friend of mine from Ottawa was asking me for ideas to make a territory control game more interesting in ways that wouldn't be too abstract and I came up with this idea that I really like. I think it might work for a game like this too.

It's the concept of "herds" or groups, that move around through a map over time, based on certain conditions. Like, they are more likely to choose one location over an other to move to next, based on certain conditions. So this could be something like herds of animals that follow their food source, or go to a certain area to spawn due to their young needing a different environment than adults, etc. It could be something like religious pilgrims who make a trip at a certain point in the year to some holy land, mercenaries who follow the wars, a holy man, trying to spread his message, etc.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2014, 05:33:01 AM »

I like it and want a demo. c:

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2014, 05:44:06 AM »

Oooh, with the growing plants, you're really making something like the sort of roguelike I've wanted to make for a while now; lots of reasonably dynamic, organic feeling details, but all depicted with sprite graphics.

What do you think of that herd mechanic I was talking about before and maybe some sort of water simple water flow system? I think it'd be pretty cool if lakes/ponds stored up water from rain that would otherwise partly absorb into the soil beneath it and partly evaporate in areas where the sun was shining after a rain fall. Then rivers/streams could transport that water around, making areas near ponds and streams more overgrown and areas away from water more arid looking.

The goal would be to keep the systems as simple as possible while still allowing them to create interesting, dynamic effects.

eg.
Ruins become overgrown once a river flows into them and the original inhabitants no longer maintain the dam or weed anything.

Hmmmm, this is just making me think of ideas for my anthropomorphic Mole/Beaver race based Dwarf Fortress rip-off game now though.

Thuby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2014, 06:10:13 AM »

Wow, haven't seen anything from you in a while. Maybe I've just been bad at searching though. I love rouge-likes, can't wait to see what this becomes!

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »

Awesome, now we just need burnable fuel, the ability to make a forge and anvil, and then for me to code up a 3d black smithing simulation module for this, with deformable, low-poly models.

Hmmmm... heat values for the verts and then corresponding transformations, rotations and scaling based on heat and position on the model "struck" and the shape of the striking tool, but that can just be predetermined and set up with an enum somewhere...

Tongue

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2014, 08:11:21 PM »

Interesting stuff Gabe. I use Murmur hash for my resources, so in my code I do something like RES("item/sword") which maps to a uint32, and also memoizes the hash. I also use a FourCC-type thing for some small (<=4 character) strings (like your tags), which just maps a four character sequence, e.g., "face", to a number by interpreting the 4 bytes as a uint32. Computer science yay!

Edit: Oh whoops I paged your long post!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »

I'm kinda surprised Game Maker doesn't already have some sort of string interning or resource hashing.

Thuby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »

What's happening? Waaagh!

Thuby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »

I'm going to be posting devlogs again soon! Next month probably. I'm just taking some time to update and improve my websites (including the Bridgeburner Project site and the game website), and sort out a few other things tangentially related to the game. There's going to be a while longer of boring code updates, but after that I'll be able to dedicate my time to just doing the fun art stuff, which will make this devlog a lot more interesting.

>MFW "next month" Lips Sealed

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic