Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:42:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Maker For Beginners: Part I
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker For Beginners: Part I  (Read 327016 times)
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2008, 01:56:24 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial, Derek. I needed the excuse to finally bite the bullet and start making something. Looking very-much foward to part two.

I think, in the next one, if discussion starts to derail again, maybe someone should make a 'pros & cons of gamemaker' thread. I don't mean to discourage discussion, but, well... yes.
I agree that it's become something of a gong show.  I did create that "suggest improvements for GM" thread, but frustratingly enough a lot of people just suggested stuff related to the playing of GM games, instead of the creation of them.  Anyway, yeah, I do think this should have stayed focused on the tutorial and things directly related to it (other than the merits of the program that it's about; if you don't like GM, then don't bother posting in this thread).
Get off your high horse.

I say if you do like GM, then don't bother posting here.

How'zat feel? You started derailing the thread again even after the dispute was over just so you could squeeze a self-righteous comment in.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2008, 03:03:57 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial, Derek. I needed the excuse to finally bite the bullet and start making something. Looking very-much foward to part two.

I think, in the next one, if discussion starts to derail again, maybe someone should make a 'pros & cons of gamemaker' thread. I don't mean to discourage discussion, but, well... yes.
I agree that it's become something of a gong show.  I did create that "suggest improvements for GM" thread, but frustratingly enough a lot of people just suggested stuff related to the playing of GM games, instead of the creation of them.  Anyway, yeah, I do think this should have stayed focused on the tutorial and things directly related to it (other than the merits of the program that it's about; if you don't like GM, then don't bother posting in this thread).
Get off your high horse.

I say if you do like GM, then don't bother posting here.

How'zat feel? You started derailing the thread again even after the dispute was over just so you could squeeze a self-righteous comment in.
Get off your high horse.

I say if you don't like GM, then don't bother posting here.

How'zat feel? You post a self-righteous comment in reply to someone replying to a dispute that's over, which helps to reignite the very dispute you're talking about.

Just let it slide, man, ignore some things when your words just amplify them.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2008, 07:32:53 PM »

Listen, we're not usually so confrontational around here at TIGS, so little comments like that aren't usually taken to be negative.  We're a pretty positive bunch after all.

If it matters, I can say that I wasn't directly thinking about all your posts when I made my comment, more generalizing that a discussion started that's both irrelevant and detrimental to this thread.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2008, 09:29:34 PM »

Blah. My bad.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »

I guess I'd just never assume that anyone's trying to be negative/insulting, because we very rarely are.  Smiley
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2008, 09:26:51 AM »

Wow, this thread went everywhere. Shocked

But no, I still believe that Game Maker is a good jumping off point to "real programming" because, in my opinion, it lays out some core programming concepts, like the game loop, object-oriented design, etc., in a very visual and easy-to-understand manner.

It's definitely slow, unfortunately.

Although you could make the case that even that teaches you some things about optimizing your code!
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2008, 12:40:22 AM »

Wow, this thread went everywhere. Shocked

But no, I still believe that Game Maker is a good jumping off point to "real programming" because, in my opinion, it lays out some core programming concepts, like the game loop, object-oriented design, etc., in a very visual and easy-to-understand manner.

It's definitely slow, unfortunately.

Although you could make the case that even that teaches you some things about optimizing your code!

I haven't found it as slow as good ole MMF yet ;o
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2008, 07:14:23 AM »

What, really?  I never got into GML but if you compare MMF's event system to GM's event system then MMF is way faster.  At least, that's what I've experienced.  Plus they both seem to have some similar tricks you can do to optimize the speed of your game.  I don't mean to derail the thread again or anything, I'm just saying.

tweet tweet @j_younger
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2008, 07:30:45 AM »

What on earth are you guys doing to make GM slow down? :D

Unless I'm trying to display 500 instances of an object, or checking for collisions between them all, then GM's speed hasn't been a problem for me so far.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2008, 07:44:58 AM »

What on earth are you guys doing to make GM slow down? :D

Catch the Clown.

tweet tweet @j_younger
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »

What, really?  I never got into GML but if you compare MMF's event system to GM's event system then MMF is way faster.  At least, that's what I've experienced.  Plus they both seem to have some similar tricks you can do to optimize the speed of your game.  I don't mean to derail the thread again or anything, I'm just saying.

MMF is way faster?  Fuuucck thaaaaat.  Right now I basically have the same platform engine created in in GML that I've been trying to use for the past year or so in MMF.  MMF starts to slow down to under 50fps when I have like 10 objects be involved in the platform movement.  Plus, MMF makes it so I have to fast loop through every object to do anything logical most of the time, and that slows it down...  the GML engine slows down when I have maybe 50 or 60 objects all moving together at the same time, and with the screen stretch surface rendering.  :I
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »

Yeah, the ONLY time I've had speed problems in GM is when I did some large scale 3D stuff, which I really shouldn't have been doing in GM anyway.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »

Right now I basically have the same platform engine created in in GML that I've been trying to use for the past year or so in MMF.

Read my post again.

I've tried GM's event system (or whatever it's called... not using GML) and yes, without getting into any sort of code whatsoever I've found that MMF is way faster.  That's all I'm saying.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2008, 11:15:29 PM »

Yeah, the ONLY time I've had speed problems in GM is when I did some large scale 3D stuff, which I really shouldn't have been doing in GM anyway.
Why not?

It's not your fault that Game Maker takes up over 9000x more memory for a game than the same game written in C++. Stop blaming yourself and restricting yourself, there is nothing that you "shouldn't" be doing. It's simply Game Maker's fault that what it's doing does not work as well as it should. With all due respect, your opinions are one of the most closed-minded and obsessively politically correct I've seen on this forum. I'm not going to further discuss this, I'm not going to post any examples because it's more of a subconscious attitude thing you have which is hard to point out, and I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but it feels SO good just to let this out in one post. Your posts have made me pent up rage for you in me, and I just wanted to get that out. Thank you.

Also, on top of 3D, Game Maker doesn't handle physics and inverse kinematics well either.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:37:43 PM by Skofo » Logged

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2008, 12:37:17 AM »

I didn't mean that I shouldn't do 3D, just that GM is only set up for fairly cursory 3D projects, and that a proper scale 3D project should be done in software that's more suited for it (so similar to what you said).  I suspect that the 3D functions were added in GM not so much for the creation of 3D games, but for 2.5D games like Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Mega Man Powered Up (both of which I quite liked, btw).

Thanks for being respectful and putting that text line tiny; I read it when it wasn't, and well, yeah.  I'm a pretty progressive guy, so sorry that that hasn't come across as much as maybe it should have.  I do have some limits though, and if that bugs you then I guess it's your right to be put off by that.

And cause I'm always looking for new tools, any recommendations for good 3D game making programs that only require scripting?
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2008, 01:59:18 AM »

Right now I basically have the same platform engine created in in GML that I've been trying to use for the past year or so in MMF.

Read my post again.

...and if I refuse?

Beer!
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2008, 02:59:47 AM »

Thanks for being respectful and putting that text line tiny; I read it when it wasn't, and well, yeah.  I'm a pretty progressive guy, so sorry that that hasn't come across as much as maybe it should have.  I do have some limits though, and if that bugs you then I guess it's your right to be put off by that.
Hm, maybe I didn't notice your pretty progressive posts. Well, I feel a lot better getting what I said off my chest. Thanks for not taking offense to it.

And cause I'm always looking for new tools, any recommendations for good 3D game making programs that only require scripting?
Only require scripting as opposed to what? Scripting and modeling? Scripting and drag-and-drop? I'm pretty sure that any decently acclaimed 3D engine out there has functions for creating basic shapes like spheres and cubes without mandating the use of models, if that's what you're asking. If you're looking to make relatively low-tech 3D games but Game Maker isn't filling your needs then I'd look into Panda3D or Irrlicht. Panda3D's primary development language is Python so you may have a relatively easier time using that as opposed to engines that make you use C or C++, while Irrlicht is known for its small size, portability and low spec requirements. I think that 3D is pretty ick and unfun to code so I don't have any experiences with those (yet) but I would get deeper into those two if I chose to give it a shot. Plus they're both free and open source.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2008, 09:14:43 AM »

Read my post again.

...and if I refuse?

Beer!

I'm sorry, man.  That did sound kind of bitchy, huh?  I didn't mean it to Beer!

tweet tweet @j_younger
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »

Why not?

It's not your fault that Game Maker takes up over 9000x more memory for a game than the same game written in C++. Stop blaming yourself and restricting yourself, there is nothing that you "shouldn't" be doing. It's simply Game Maker's fault that what it's doing does not work as well as it should. With all due respect, your opinions are one of the most closed-minded and obsessively politically correct I've seen on this forum. I'm not going to further discuss this, I'm not going to post any examples because it's more of a subconscious attitude thing you have which is hard to point out, and I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but it feels SO good just to let this out in one post. Your posts have made me pent up rage for you in me, and I just wanted to get that out. Thank you.

Also, on top of 3D, Game Maker doesn't handle physics and inverse kinematics well either.

I lol'd at the tiny text part - I think Architekt is a pretty cool cat despite disagreeing with him on quite a few posts he's made.  He is always a very open-minded guy who is very accepting or criticism and others' opinions and I would much sooner apply the "your opinions are one of the most closed-minded" part to you.  I especially love the fact that you started it with "With all due respect" :D

Anyways, yeah, all those GMites should get off their high horses and learn real manly man programming so they can avoid limitations that don't affect the projects they're working on anyways.  They're all just "restricting themselves" to an engine that allows them to be exponentially more productive when really they should be sacrificing productivity for the untold riches of speed and memory gains which would result in... the exact same finished product.

Honestly, if GM forced me to compromise on my vision for a game, I wouldn't hesitate to drop it and search for something more appropriate for the project.  So far this has only happened once.  Real game designers don't care how "hardcore" their code is - they just want to create an awesome finished product.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »

Why not?

I lol'd at the tiny text part - I think Architekt is a pretty cool cat despite disagreeing with him on quite a few posts he's made.  He is always a very open-minded guy who is very accepting or criticism and others' opinions and I would much sooner apply the "your opinions are one of the most closed-minded" part to you.  I especially love the fact that you started it with "With all due respect" :D

Anyways, yeah, all those GMites should get off their high horses and learn real manly man programming so they can avoid limitations that don't affect the projects they're working on anyways.  They're all just "restricting themselves" to an engine that allows them to be exponentially more productive when really they should be sacrificing productivity for the untold riches of speed and memory gains which would result in... the exact same finished product.

Honestly, if GM forced me to compromise on my vision for a game, I wouldn't hesitate to drop it and search for something more appropriate for the project.  So far this has only happened once.  Real game designers don't care how "hardcore" their code is - they just want to create an awesome finished product.
I know what you're taking about. The two engines I've posted aren't anywhere near efficiency and power over productivity, especially compared to Game Maker when it comes to 3D. Game Maker doesn't make 3D programming as friendly as it makes 2D programming, so why not use something that can actually do 3D relatively well? I posted minimalistic/Python-coded 3D engines instead of OGRE/pure C++ and OpenGL/DirectX for productivity reasons, not to be hardcore. Otherwise I would've suggested writing it in machine code.

For 2D games I openly admit that Game Maker is great at quick prototyping, but with 3D that is simply not the case. You're better off just using something else if you're going to be primarilly utilizing three dimensions.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:55:28 PM by Skofo » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic