Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:04:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Maker For Beginners: Part I
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker For Beginners: Part I  (Read 327272 times)
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »

See rinkuhero's and december's posts up thar.

just, ewww. lol

i no u r in luv wif it bcuz ur gamz r maid in it but its srsly not gud.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »

Did you watch the 100 Game Maker Games in 10 Minutes video, Skofo?

I can't really imagine someone watching that and still holding a negative opinion of GM, but whatever, people have different tastes I guess.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2008, 07:00:47 PM »

Did you watch the 100 Game Maker Games in 10 Minutes video, Skofo?

I can't really imagine someone watching that and still holding a negative opinion of GM, but whatever, people have different tastes I guess.

Oh sure, the community that Game Maker has is among the most creative and inspiring I've ever seen. It's just the tool itself that isn't really good, for several reasons that I'm not going to get into right now.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
acidBatterie
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »

Further elaboration:  YoYoGames, more like LOLOLGames amirite?

youarerite
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2008, 07:25:34 PM »

Hm, I don't think the tool is super, there are a lot of improvements it could and should make, but it's certainly better than most of its competitors. It's easier to use than Torque and Blitz, and more powerful than MMF and those individual genre-editors like the Ohrrpgce, RPGMaker, MUGEN, etc., so it's a healthy balance between the usability of the latter category and the power of the earlier category.

KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2008, 07:47:05 PM »

Quite a reasonable price for what you get as well, considering updates seem to be pretty much included in the purchase as well, aren't they?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2008, 07:48:41 PM »

Theoretically, yes, but there have been a lot of activation problems leading people to have to re-buy GM7 if they owned GM6 (myself included).

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »

just, ewww. lol

No need to mock.

I know it has many negatives, but I really don't see how someone can just say "eww" and dismiss it when it's proven itself so many times and is so great for rapid development.  I pretty much agree 100% with Rinku when he said:

Hm, I don't think the tool is super, there are a lot of improvements it could and should make, but it's certainly better than most of its competitors. It's easier to use than Torque and Blitz, and more powerful than MMF and those individual genre-editors like the Ohrrpgce, RPGMaker, MUGEN, etc., so it's a healthy balance between the usability of the latter category and the power of the earlier category.

I was just looking to hear your reasons for completely dismissing it so harshly when so much awesome stuff has come out of it lately.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2008, 09:44:07 PM »

I was just looking to hear your reasons for completely dismissing it so harshly when so much awesome stuff has come out of it lately.
I totally second this.  As a long time GM user I'm well aware of the limitations and problems with the programs, but I also think it's far superior to it's competitors, and a lot can be done once you start scripting in GML.

And I have yet to see a faster program for getting my ideas out of my head and into a playable form, which for me is huge.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2008, 10:28:27 PM »

just, ewww. lol

No need to mock.

I know it has many negatives, but I really don't see how someone can just say "eww" and dismiss it when it's proven itself so many times and is so great for rapid development.  I pretty much agree 100% with Rinku when he said:

Oh, quit fanboying. Are you really so inconfident in your belief in Game Maker that you have to point and cry at everyone that doesn't like it? Use what you like, I already know that I'm not going to convince you of anything because of the bloodhounded way you barked at me for blaspheming your favorite program, so I'm not going to try. You reiterated why I don't like it with your second sentence ("I know it has many negatives..."). You know what those negatives are, you just want me to list them out so you can dish out your premeditated counter-arguments against every logical and valid criticism of it so you can try convince yourself to feel better about using it. So I refuse to mention why I don't like it. If you're really curious, search my past posts for "Game Maker", I might've pointed out a few reasons in the past.

Really, though, there are much better alternatives to Game Maker. The people that are saying that it's "way ahead of the competition", that is only true if you're only comparing it to other crappy, commercial, buggy, backwards "easy game making suites". I'm comparing it to anything that helps you develop games. What of the all the free game engines, libraries and programs out there? The non-free ones, even? Almost all of the time they are more efficient at what they do than Game Maker, and a lot of the time they give even beginner developers an easier and faster time developing in it than in Game Maker. Why are the only valid comparisons to Game Maker other shitty game suites like MMF and RPG Maker?

So yeah, kudos to everyone that made a nice game or some in Game Maker, but that does not make it un-ew.

..more powerful than... ..RPGMaker, MUGEN...
I seriously doubt that. I may be wrong, though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:33:12 PM by Skofo » Logged

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2008, 10:43:40 PM »

Oh, quit fanboying blah blah blah

God damn you're annoying, and I don't even use GM.  Who cares what you think of it?  This isn't the "Let's Trash GM" thread, it's the "Game Maker For Beginners" thread.

So how about you try not trolling around in a thread that was made by the guy who runs this forum.  Just saying.

/derail.

tweet tweet @j_younger
ChevyRay
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2008, 10:54:58 PM »

Yeah, that was like a prime example of internet trolling. Get a grip.

I totally second this.  As a long time GM user I'm well aware of the limitations and problems with the programs, but I also think it's far superior to it's competitors, and a lot can be done once you start scripting in GML.
I wouldn't say it's superior, at least not in a lot of ways, but is sure is damn accessible Smiley which for a lot of people, like myself, is the most important factor of all.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2008, 11:18:48 PM »

So how about you try not trolling around in a thread that was made by the guy who runs this forum.  Just saying.
I think you're annoying for thinking that authority deserves special treatment as a human being. You're the reason that there's so much police brutality in America.

Anyway, yeah, back on topic. Fun tutorial. Better written, pictured and organized than the ones that were around back then. But I think the best way to learn GML is by blazing through the manual and storing all the function names in your subconscious, so you at least have an idea of what you're able to do. I didn't know all of the neat things I could do with the instances and graphics until I read through the GML part of the manual; took a couple hours or so, but after that programming everything was a snap.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »

the best way to learn GML is by blazing through the manual and storing all the function names in your subconscious.
I agree with this.

But then if you're like me you'll hit a brick wall eventually, being able to do stuff, but only highly inefficiently and in convoluted ways that totally suck up processing power or whatever it is games run on. Souls. Magic. Whatever.

It also helps to look at others' editables and see how they did stuff.

ChevyRay
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2008, 11:28:22 PM »

Sometimes the convoluted routes are actually faster... just more difficult to make sense of if you have to come back to it, and far less flexible.

I think you're annoying for thinking that authority deserves special treatment as a human being. You're the reason that there's so much police brutality in America.
Noooo, that's not at all what he was saying. He was saying BEHAVE -- because if you're not gonna, right under the head honcho's nose is where you're like to be caught when things start smelling rank. Roll Eyes
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2008, 11:55:06 PM »

BEHAVE -- because if you're not gonna, right under the head honcho's nose is where you're like to be caught when things s tart smelling rank. Roll Eyes
Discussion and criticism of Game Maker is relevant to this thread. I don't know what you're on. Look at 90% of the posts in this thread: they don't have anything to do with the OP's tutorial, but instead is discussion of Game Maker. Are you implying that people get banned here because they have contrasting viewpoints on the usefulness and effectiveness of Game Maker? Get a grip.

ChevyRay
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2008, 11:59:16 PM »

"Discussion and criticism" does not entail calling people names and insults. I'm implying that if you discuss things and be nice about it, you won't get banned. It's really easy.

Get a grip.
Such cheek. That's what I mean. Anyhow, I'm not gonna tease the trolls, that's the mods' job. I'm out.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2008, 04:33:07 AM »

Get a grip dude Cool

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2008, 08:30:56 AM »

Talking down to people and making assumptions about them like you do ain't gonna make you many friends, dude.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:49:56 AM by YMM » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2008, 09:20:16 AM »

Really, though, there are much better alternatives to Game Maker. The people that are saying that it's "way ahead of the competition", that is only true if you're only comparing it to other crappy, commercial, buggy, backwards "easy game making suites". I'm comparing it to anything that helps you develop games. What of the all the free game engines, libraries and programs out there? The non-free ones, even? Almost all of the time they are more efficient at what they do than Game Maker, and a lot of the time they give even beginner developers an easier and faster time developing in it than in Game Maker. Why are the only valid comparisons to Game Maker other shitty game suites like MMF and RPG Maker?

Because those are the only other engines in which you can make games without having to be an expert in the technical aspects of programming. So I think it's unfair to compare GM to libraries like Allegro, because they're different products with a different audience. Libraries like Allegro are intended to help programmers make games, programs like GM are intended to help anyone make games. So in the "anyone can make games with it" category, GM has the advantage. It's really a different kind of thing than the things you mention. I think what you are objecting to is not anything wrong with GM, but to the idea that non-programmers should be able to make games at all; are you really saying that tools to make games without requiring programming shouldn't exist? And if you're not, do you think that there are other programs which do it better than GM does?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic