Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:12:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe polite answer to "you play all the day"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: The polite answer to "you play all the day"  (Read 5124 times)
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2013, 01:48:01 AM »

Anyway, of course you can cut corners in every industry, but it's easier to do so in games. Because the end user does not know what the game suppose to contain until he plays it to completion.
If Apple is making a new phone, every little feature of the phone is inspected by the consumer before it's bought. Some features are also vital for a phone or vital to upgrade from previous phones. You can't sell an iPhone 2 inside an iPhone 5 box(although some people bought bricks inside Apple boxes).

With a game, you can cut as many corners as you like, your 50 levels game can be shortened to 10 levels game. The user will not complain because he didn't know the game was originally  meant to have 50 levels.
Things like splitting games into episodes are common in the game industry and with indies as well.
A game is one of the few products that the user don't know what he is buying until he plays it.
Of course there are reviews and etc, but you usually can't really tell what is that you are buying until you actually start playing it.
Well, you wouldn't actually know how the first iPhone suppose to have. You wouldn't know how many feature they cut out, how many hardware they change. The same thing goes with game. You can't sell iPhone 5 with the first iPhone inside the case, and you can't sell Final Fantasy 12 with Final Fantasy 1 inside the case(except you're EA Sport)

Feature cut exists in every corner in creative industry, and none of them is neither easy nor hard. And like game, every corner cutting in the industry will go unnoticed if you don't have any benchmark for them to measure. We won't know the missing feature of Meat Boy, but we will notice the missing feature of Super Meat Boy, as Meat Boy are the benchmark for us to gauge it. Same goes to phone, OS, film, or even book.

For example, Walking Dead is getting boring and boring in the latest episode and people notice that, because they have season 1 as a benchmark to measure that. But if you shuffle up the season and start watching from season 3 to 1, you won't think season 3 is bad. As for the feature cut, they cut out the thing about "walker is dangerous" and "human VS walker". I'm not so familiar with film industry, but i know they cut stuff as much as game and goes unnoticed.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2013, 02:29:25 AM »

Never had that happen to me.
my parents keep telling me this :/

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2013, 02:54:17 AM »

vs.

I think cultural workers have problems to be accepted since the beginning of mankind. Does anybody really think the cultural output of our modern society would be that high if only the successful ones would be allowed to do their job?

Creating cultural products is very risky, as a cultural worker you have to live with this risk. The job might be more fun to you than other jobs, but especially as independent artist you take huge risks. This is the price you pay. This is why many indies have a "normal" job too.

As an artist you push culture forward, be proud of it. You may hit the jackpot, this is what we wish for, but most indies won't hit the jackpot and push culture forward for free. Either way you do literally invaluable work for our society.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:22:56 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2013, 08:27:36 AM »

I will point that the same tales in japan has a very different ending (the ants and the cicada)

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »

I think the earliest passed down versions have an open end where the ant basically tells the grasshopper that the ones who work hard don't suffer from hunger. I was shocked when I found out that this "hardcore" version of the fable on "bbc school radio" (the grasshopper is associated with beat boxing/hip hop culture and dies at the end) is meant for primary school pupils.

How is the fable told in japan? I think they also base on Aesop? I just read here that there is a rewritten version by a popular japanese author.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:55:17 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2013, 01:03:53 PM »

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q_v84iVP96YC&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=ants+and+the+cicada+japanese&source=bl&ots=PhM_9yJ-0A&sig=nEmoZh4mTJwIxDET5TcrI59FOnY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-N5hUf3uHI3a8wTfzYGgAQ&ved=0CGAQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=ants%20and%20the%20cicada%20japanese&f=false

there is my source, might not be the definite source at all

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »

Thank you, obviously I like the Japanese version much more.
PowRTocH
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2013, 10:41:11 PM »

brrrrrown shooter

A Peter Gabriel parody.

Let's agree to not insult each other. Smiley
being calm and peaceful doesnt get you anywhere

Look at Israel.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic