Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:45:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDownwards [a horror visual novel in the guise of a roguelike]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Downwards [a horror visual novel in the guise of a roguelike]  (Read 1217 times)
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »

Downwards is a pseudo-roguelike (The levels aren't actually randomly generated) that tells three different narratives.

The game takes place in a dark, mysterious labyrinth, as a young knight by the name of Godrick makes his way into its depths, in a quest to prove himself as a defender of all that is virtuous.

In the early 90s, a team of three developers begin working together on their own roguelike, with the ambitious goal of creating a game that will change the way people perceive games forever.  This game never surfaced publicly and was forgotten as the team stopped posting updates.

In 2013 the game is finally released as a flash based port, but with most of its bugs fully intact, although some seem stranger than others.

This project mostly started off from the idea "Could I make a game that could scare a player with just ascii characters?" but soon branched off into its current form.

Here's a gif of some of the non-story-based gameplay done so far:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:18:39 PM by C.D Buckmaster » Logged
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »

Thanks Gabriel, hopefully this won't take too long to finish, as most of the core gameplay is done, leaving mostly the writing and some other things. 
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:23:51 PM »

Seems like the FoV isn't raycasted, you should work on that Tongue
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:42:03 PM »

Yeah, it's on my to-do list, I went with the simple approach originally so that I could get the lighting system in a working state as soon as possible.  In fact, I'll get started on that right now.
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:22:49 AM »

New lighting system implemented!

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 04:22:46 PM »

In case anyone was wondering, this project is not dead.  I have been spending the last few weeks writing the game's dialogue, with most of the game's programming finished.  I admit that development has slowed down due to Uni stuff, but I will try keep this devlog updated more frequently in the near future.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:05:26 PM »

nice choice of colors!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic