Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412072 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 25, 2024, 03:02:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPopularity and profitability of Flash games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Popularity and profitability of Flash games  (Read 817 times)
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2013, 09:45:58 AM »

Hi all,

I used to make flash games in the past, I've made more than ten. A couple years ago there was an ecosystem in which a Flash game flew around the net, spreaded like powder, many people played it, even if it was a bad game had a decent amount of exposure, and if you sponsored it you had even visits to your site (which could be turned into cash through advertising)! I used to have more than 100 visits to my site on a typical day and now I have 20, because my games are not brand new anymore and they are getting started to get covered by dust.

I'm wondering if that ecosystem is still alive even though smartphones have appeared, if anyone knows anything about distributing flash games (tricks) today and if it is still worth the while. I'm not planning to put MochiAds on my game because I feel that a 30' TV spot before my game on every impression is a bit too much for the eCPM they pay... Anyone has got any thought on this?

If anyone wants to check out the topic of my next game you can enter my website, it is about a web series I think has a lot of potential: 'Cute World'. "In Cute World there are three kinds of people: Those who like cute ('Sunny' and the cats), those who don't like cute ('Cloudy' and the dogs), and those who are neutral ('Windy' and the mice). I have another problem, I'm getting old (I'm 34) and I can't reach my target audience easily (6-12 year old children) because Facebook ads and Google ads don't measure those ages. Is this a good idea to promote my series (using a game)? Have you got any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for the feedback (if there is any) and suggestions (if there are).  Hand Joystick

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »

what i'd do to answer this is check on whether the alexa rating of newsgrounds and kongregate has declined over the years; that can be checked pretty simply (and yeah i know alexa isn't perfect but it's more accurate for bigger websites and those are pretty big)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:46:26 AM »

right now you'd be better off making a smartphone game, I mean both markets are rather crap and hit an miss but mobile games potentially can bring a lot more financial reward than a flash game with equal popularity.

For small indies, flash has nothing but advertisement based monetization, with mobile you can have ads but also direct payments and/or microtransaction , which makes it a saner market to be devving for yo
you can become millionnaire with a mobile game, but you'll never become a millionnaire with a flash game
gangsta lyfe

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »

I'm not currently trying to make a great game and sell it on the app store, although it's great to have that opportunity. A couple years ago, most of the games on the net were free. What I want to do is to 'sell' holistic concepts (series) to children, currently I want to get my story (above) to kids and 'embed' it on their minds and make them like it, then sell ads and t-shirts. Let's say I use games with that goal, I'm not an average indie developer (because I also make animations).

Well, whatever it is, I have not released an Android game yet, though I've been playing around and made a couple builds of crappy projects on that platform. But I feel that I will have to drive traffic to the game in order to promote it, and Flash will drive traffic to my ideas and will promote them. Anyone has any experience with Android gaming? Are they useful to promote stuff? Or will they stay for some time on the app store and die?

Help and experiences on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks!  Durr...?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »

whatever market you're targetting, a crap game will not magically become popular nowadays. make a good game.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic