Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:55:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSQUARE FPS - Fast Paced Scoring First Person Shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SQUARE FPS - Fast Paced Scoring First Person Shooter  (Read 825 times)
WhiteGorillaGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »

Hi, we're two french students and we're releasing the first playable version of our first game and we'd like to have your feedback. All kind of feedback (about the game, the trailer, the website ...).

The game is called SQUARE FPS, and we describe it as a Fast Paced Scoring First Person Shooter.
Alpha for PC and Mac is available directly on our website, where you'll find all the infos you need, the trailer and some screenshots: http://whitegorillagames.com/

Thank you for your time.
FrankForce
Level 2

This tepid water is tasteless.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 05:14:11 PM »

Congrats on your first game!  You asked for feedback, so here it is.  I played for a few minutes on each level, couldn't beat any of them, but mostly my heart wasn't in it because I wasn't having fun.

- First of all the download is way too goddamn large, a 20 minute download is a bit off putting for some people to play an alpha version of a game.  There is absolutely no way you need this much space for your game and I'm willing to bet the vast majority of it is totally wasted.  Case in point the settings.exe file is 13 meg just by itself, this is a simple windows app to change some settings, why is it 13 meg....  There aren't even really any graphics in this game at all, it's just placeholder stuff so it really seems like the download could be cut down to about 10% of the size.
- Normally I would complain about using a self installer instead of a simple zip file when asking for feedback, but one thing at a time...
- ZSQD should probably not be the default control.  Isn't WASD a bit more common?
- I feel like I can only jump like 1 foot high, but why even have a separate jump button when you have a jetpack?
- The gameplay feels very difficult to control, its like you accelerate way too fast with no dampening when you are in the air.
- There is not much depth to the shooting mechanic, the weapon fires at a low rate of fire and makes an annoying sound.  I also found it extremely difficult to hit anything, I only killed 1 robot the entire time I was playing.
- Games where you die if you fall, especially FPS games tend to be unfun in general, why cant there just be ground below you?  That simple thing just having ground below me would have this game way more fun for me at least.  Falling to my death and restarting every single time I die is not that fun.
- Skybox is horribly pinched at top at bottom.  At one point I wasn't sure if I was looking at the sky or a cat's asshole.
- Trailer was cool!   I really like the font you used in the trailer too.

I hope that doesn't discourage you too much, making your first game is always the hardest.  To really make this fun you will need to make some major gameplay changes and totally scrap the level design.  I like the idea of a twitchy fps that requires fast reflexes but to ask so much from the player you must also provide them with extremely precise solid controls and make the game fun enough to keep them interested.  But don't forget, what is most important is the skills you learn while making the game.  Good luck!
WhiteGorillaGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:04:43 AM »

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it.

Game Size: We didn't realize that 180M was too big for that kind of game, we'll try to reduce it as much as we can. The 13M of the settings.exe is due to the use of PyQt to develop the application which when compressed in one file is pretty heavy.

ZSQD: Of course WASD is more common, but the majority of our player is in France where the default keyboard layout is AZERTY.

Jump: That's a question we asked ourselves, we had an early version without the Jump, but we put it back because we feel it can be quicker to jump for small distance than to use the Jetpack.

Air speed: We'll try to add more dampening in the air to see how it feels.

Ground: We don't really understand how having a ground below the player will be more fun. The falling-dying-restarting thing is a key to the game, we understand that it might be repellent (not sure it's the good word) but we do find it fun.

Skybox: Yeah we know it's ugly when you look up or down, we didn't manage to fix it, we'll try again when we'll have a bit more time.

Once again thanks for your feedback, it's been helpfull.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic