Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:37:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEFFING DEAD - a survival action in RE4 style - 1st BETA AVAILABLE
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: EFFING DEAD - a survival action in RE4 style - 1st BETA AVAILABLE  (Read 10465 times)
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »

Hi Everyone
I would like to show you our new game, EFFING DEAD.
UPDATE: time to download the NEW BETA, version 0.8.9 with camera improvement & ragdoll:

EFFING DEAD is a survival game like the amazing Resident Evil 4, completely in 3D, with real-time light and shadows, glows and water physics.

We love the genre and try to bring back the same feelings and joy we discover while we played with RE4 and because we are missing it a bit.
But, also, we try to improve some aspect of the game mechanics and give it our special touch.

So, to be fair, there is:
- no bow !!!
- no co-op experience !!!
- no silly puzzle on RGB colors !!!
- no remake nor reboot !!!
- no cheasy super machos !!!
- no kinect, Move or Wii control !!!
- no social !!!
- no qte (oh s*it, there are some... ^_^) !!!

..ok,ok,ok, stop joking. Tongue

Gameplay trailer with updated lights and gfx:

The first and older beta video:

Please support us on GREENLIGHT ! TKS

Some screenshots (UPDATED - 5 May):

EFFING DEAD will be released on Windows but we are planning to release it also on MAC and LINUX. As you can see the engine is quiet complete, we are building levels and stuff now.
If anything works as planed the first beta will be ready for May 2013, so please come back soon to give it a try Wink .

AN IMPORTANT NOTE: because we like to receive but also to give, during the development we will releasing game stuff for free (under CC license) – not just simple stuff, but real in game 3D models, elements, scripts... Why? Because we believe in freedom and in mods.

You can download something right now on the STUFF page of TheShortAndTheTall site.

UPDATES:

What's the game about:
The game take place on a far far planet. A company specialized in finding new water sources send a ship of specialized clones to research new resurgences. The clone find a planet full of water and build a station for taking and storage the water.
But the connection with the planet station is lost by weeks, only one security clone seems to be functional and operative.

It's up to the player to take control of him and check what's going on.
The objective is to find out what's happen to the station, clean any kind of hostilities and activate the main signal with earth.

The security clone use fire weapons but can perform also some special moves and do barrel rolls to avoid grabs.
He can also aim terminals and machines to interact with.
The player need to take care of the connection with the clone: damage disturb and alter the camera signal.Plus you need to worry about some places that have connections shields which must be removed or deactivated.

Features:
  • Real time lighting and day/night time and 3D water with physics
  • In game Map with enemies presence
  • No need of inventory screen: change weapon and use stuff in game without any pause
  • Aim to interact and take control of different type of sensors
  • Exploration will need puzzles solving – we like action but also brain use
  • Different type of weapons, customizable with upgrades
  • Enemies with multiple type of AI and attack-defence behaviour
  • Find the right tactics and the best way to kill the enemies for increasing your ammo and collecting coins for weapons upgrades
  • Do head shots or destroy bodies parts with your arsenal
  • Be fast with the button press  Hand Any Key when enemies takes you
  • Perform barrel rolls to avoid grabs and use the energy blade for special moves
  • Look out for your energy and prevent damage for the camera signal
  • Find out how to enter areas with camera signal shields

btw,  we are now on IndieDB. EFF YEAH!

About us
We are TheShortAndTheTall, which is a small indiegames team from Italy, made of two Nice guys, Alessio (the short one) and me, ALberto (the tall one).
EFFING DEAD was made by us + some help on charas models and environment here and there, because sometime we like also to sleep. Grin

If you like you can follow the develop on FB and Twitter:
TheShortAndTheTall Twitter
TheShortAndTheTall Facebook page

Our site: TheShortAndTheTall.com

Comments are appreciated. ^_^
Soon more stuff and news.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:05:43 PM by mrKaizen » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »

That has to be the dumbest name for a video game in recent memory. I wouldn't play it based on that name alone.

Graphics look a bit rough, notably the player model. I think even Barbie would be jealous of that waistline.

Looks interesting though, just hope the enemies aren't as bullet spongey as they appear to be in that trailer.
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 04:47:07 PM »

That has to be the dumbest name for a video game in recent memory. I wouldn't play it based on that name alone.

Graphics look a bit rough, notably the player model. I think even Barbie would be jealous of that waistline.

Looks interesting though, just hope the enemies aren't as bullet spongey as they appear to be in that trailer.
ahahhah tks Allen Wink

Really don't like the name? It's intentionally not so serious and, btw, you are first (but I thought it would coming ^_^). Let's see what other people will comment (I hope to read more Smiley )

YES! The enemies have different AI and any of them try to avoid bullets. Some are faster, other not so much. One type do barrel rolls Smiley to avoid your attacks. I think the AI behavior is pretty good but only the beta comments will tell the true.

I love the hero body style but I dislike Barbie - at least I hope she is crying :D

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »

Here the hero sketch:

what do you think about?

We are currently working again on the (real time) lights of the game, for better performance and of course nicer looking locations.
Some friends tell us that the lights/shadows could be much richer, so we are thinking to change also the envs a bit.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »

don't listen to allen, he has to be the most negative person i've ever met on these forums. your game looks incredible, that's all that matters. and gameplay, of course.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »

don't listen to allen, he has to be the most negative person i've ever met on these forums. your game looks incredible, that's all that matters. and gameplay, of course.
TKS YOU! And you are one of the nicest person of the forum. Wink

It's ok with Allen, if he wrote a comment it means that, at least, the name "hit" him so.. good! -_^

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »

Some color study for the hero:

And come details about EFFING DEAD

What's the game about:
The game take place on a far far planet. A company specialized in finding new water sources send a ship of specialized clones to research new resurgences. The clone find a planet full of water and build a station for taking and storage the water.
But the connection with the planet station is lost by weeks, only one security clone seems to be functional and operative.

It's up to the player to take control of him and check what's going on.
The objective is to find out what's happen to the station, clean any kind of hostilities and activate the main signal with earth.

The security clone use fire weapons but can perform also some special moves and do barrel rolls to avoid grabs.
He can also aim terminals and machines to interact with.
The player need to take care of the connection with the clone: damage disturb and alter the camera signal.Plus you need to worry about some places that have connections shields which must be removed or deactivated.

Features:
  • Real time lighting and day/night time and 3D water with physics
  • In game Map with enemies presence
  • No need of inventory screen: change weapon and use stuff in game without any pause
  • Aim to interact and take control of different type of sensors
  • Exploration will need puzzles solving – we like action but also brain use
  • Different type of weapons, customizable with upgrades
  • Enemies with multiple type of AI and attack-defence behaviour
  • Find the right tactics and the best way to kill the enemies for increasing your ammo and collecting coins for weapons upgrades
  • Do head shots or destroy bodies parts with your arsenal
  • Be fast with the button press  Hand Any Key when enemies takes you
  • Perform barrel rolls to avoid grabs and use the energy blade for special moves
  • Look out for your energy and prevent damage for the camera signal
  • Find out how to enter areas with camera signal shields

btw,  we are now on IndieDB. EFF YEAH!

...any feedback is cool, so write please!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
The best things is to hear your constructive words, community!  Tears of Joy
Tks!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »

i like the idea (ripping off re4 mechanics) because theyre brilliant and cool and fun, but i find the aesthetics of this unappealing. also, though i realise your animations and entire game arent finished, the most important part of the re formula is how visceral and cool the melee stuff was, spinning around with a knife lacks pizazz.
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »

And a new shot:

The effect is created by an energy-ball shot by one of the enemy, that can be avoided or destroyed.

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »

i like the idea (ripping off re4 mechanics) because theyre brilliant and cool and fun, but i find the aesthetics of this unappealing. also, though i realise your animations and entire game arent finished, the most important part of the re formula is how visceral and cool the melee stuff was, spinning around with a knife lacks pizazz.
tks for the comment. Wink

Can I ask you what is the part that you like at least (and the best, if you can)? I mean, why do you say "unappealing"? Wink
The envs?
The characters?
Colors and atmosphere?
All? :D
Lack of ladies? Tongue

The melee part works really good, WE THINK Smiley , but I think also that the video didn't show it's potential -  it's really difficult Sad to make people understand how things are and works, but maybe you know what I'm talking about.

I hope you will try the demo (when it will be ready, in May if anything goes as planed) and tell has again your feelings.

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »

Hi guys, how is it?
We have a new video for EFFING DEAD.
Enjoy it here:

We work hard on the envs, change lights effects and types (with some new one), add glows and optimize stuff.
We think the atmosphere is much better now, the envs looks nicer and with much more depth.

...so please comment. ^_^

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »

I think the design of his suit looks like some kind of lasertag toy thing..
The round shapes, the t-shirt underneath and how plastic, shiny and colorful it is.
It looks like he's some kind of warrior wizard from a fantasy anime.

Also, his proportions look kinda feminine, but maybe because I'm used to the typical thick neck space marines you usually see in these kinds of games.
(actually, in the concept art the body looks extremely stretched out)

You should try a more asymmetric design, like giving him a cyborg arm that is bigger than the other.

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »

I think the design of his suit looks like some kind of lasertag toy thing..
The round shapes, the t-shirt underneath and how plastic, shiny and colorful it is.
It looks like he's some kind of warrior wizard from a fantasy anime.

Also, his proportions look kinda feminine, but maybe because I'm used to the typical thick neck space marines you usually see in these kinds of games.
(actually, in the concept art the body looks extremely stretched out)

You should try a more asymmetric design, like giving him a cyborg arm that is bigger than the other.

Tks for the comment. I really like the game hero but I'm also trying some changes on the texture colors/details... The plastic/stretched look was exactly what I want, maybe for some it's too much Wink

Tks again and share the video if you liked it.

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »

Hi Aaaamazing TigForum.
We have some new screenshots:

May is near so does the open beta ^_^.

Please sometimes come back to our pages to see if there is a link where you can download and try EFFING DEAD Wink

Until next time, have a nice dev day (or maybe night, like ours Wink ).

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 06:22:54 AM »

Hi Guys we are on INDIE CRASH E3

BOOOM!

Check the INDIES CRASH E3 page, if you like us please support and GIVE US A VOTE so EFFING DEAD can show his sharp teeth on E3.
It costs you nothing but give us a little treasure.

Your vote here. TKS ^_^
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:38:28 AM by mrKaizen » Logged

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »

Hi All!
we have some new pics for EFFING DEAD and also some news about the beta: it's 99% finished ^_^
We are still on lights and textures but we are thinking to add some new shaders for the beta release.
Enjoy the pics and...

...prepare some free space on your HD Wink
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:45:18 PM by mrKaizen » Logged

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »

This looks pretty cool, im getting a "Too Human" vibe for some reason (i loved that game). Looking forward to seeing more. Plus that sword attack is awesome!

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »

This looks pretty cool, im getting a "Too Human" vibe for some reason (i loved that game). Looking forward to seeing more. Plus that sword attack is awesome!

tks Windybeard ^_^
We love the sword attack too Wink

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »

Hi guys,
some gifs of the melee fights. ^_^

The OPEN BETA bug fixing is complete. Very soon we will release it so, maybe, you could try EFFING DEAD.

Until then, enjoy and comment.-_^

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »

Hi guys
time to download the BETA:

and maybe do a BARREL ROLL!!!

Then, if you like it, please support us on GREENLIGHT and INDIEGOGO! TKS

Any comment.. ah, you know Wink TKS and have a nice week end.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 04:34:39 PM by mrKaizen » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic