Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:09:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSubmission to the Library of Congress?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Submission to the Library of Congress?  (Read 7058 times)
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:55:31 AM »

So, are we supposed to be submitting our USA-published software (or books, music, etc.) to the Library of Congress?

FAQ:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ07d.html

Law:
http://www.bitlaw.com/source/17usc/407.html
http://www.bitlaw.com/source/37cfr/202_19.html

I was sort of expecting to find an exemption for non-commercial works, but I don't see one.  It just looks like all copyrighted works published stateside have to be submitted in physical form to the Library of Congress within 3 months of publication.  The LoC can also demand a copy from the publisher or copyright holder, and if that demand isn't satisfied within 3 months, there's a $250 fine.

Thoughts?  I've probably missed something.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:06:19 AM »

That's interesting. Under current law, doesn't anything anyone makes, as long as it's slightly original, automatically count as a copyrighted work? Including this post?

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:26:02 AM »

You get automatic copyright on stuff you create, but registering gives it a little extra security. I know when I submitted my books, they put a copy in the archives and give you a pretty form (TX-40 is either the one you get or the one you submit) that proves that you submitted. Publishers requests you do that before they'll print your book (at least from my experience).

And copyright verses non-commerical are two completely different things. You can still have copyright on something and give it away. At least, from my own understanding.
Gregory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:28:51 AM »

This rule doesn't seem to have been updated for the digital world, where anyone can publish and sell anything.  I'm guessing it was made with big publishing houses in mind.  However, the fine only seems to apply if the Library makes a request and the request is not promptly satisfied.
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:54:09 AM »

You get automatic copyright on stuff you create, but registering gives it a little extra security. I know when I submitted my books, they put a copy in the archives and give you a pretty form (TX-40 is either the one you get or the one you submit) that proves that you submitted. Publishers requests you do that before they'll print your book (at least from my experience).

This is a little different.  It applies to all published copyrighted works, not just works that are submitted for registered copyright (though you can submit a combined registration request and Library deposit).

And copyright verses non-commerical are two completely different things. You can still have copyright on something and give it away. At least, from my own understanding.

Entirely true.  I thought there might be a non-commercial exemption because it does sound like the law is designed for (commercial) publishing houses, and I'm not sure how the Library would deal with the number of submissions it's supposed to be (?) receiving.

Even if there were a non-commercial exemption, there's still a ton of new copyrighted work being self-published right now.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic