Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:36:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHave you ever exhibited at PAX Prime? If so, how much?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Have you ever exhibited at PAX Prime? If so, how much?  (Read 11265 times)
FamousAspect
Level 1

some day you will die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »

Even so, with "50+ developers" in the one "megabooth" I imagine it would be a terribly cramped way to exhibit, I still want to hear about prices for a proper dedicated exhibitor spot

I went to PAX Prime last year and the foot traffic was huge. It was probably the biggest draw of the show floor as far as I can tell. As an observer, I think games in the indie megabooth had an easier time showing to players than friends of mine who had purchased dedicated exhibitor space in various corners of the show floor.

Urthvas Williamson
Level 0

Urthvas Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »

Hello! I just got back from >PAX< Prime this year. My game was in the MEGA BOOTH. There were a huge number of people everywhere. I wrote up my experiences here: http://urthvas.tumblr.com/post/60312632935/back-from-pax

"I'm not gonna change into anything, Ty. I must take him on as a man. So the others realize they can stand up to him.  Without fear."

See the I.G.F. Announce trailer for BREATH OF THE DRAGON:

See updates on the tumblr at: http://urthvas.tumblr.com
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »

Hello! I just got back from >PAX< Prime this year. My game was in the MEGA BOOTH. There were a huge number of people everywhere. I wrote up my experiences here: http://urthvas.tumblr.com/post/60312632935/back-from-pax

Even if you're right to complain, I don't think that the way to go.. Because by posting this on this thread you use reader for your revenge...
And you give nothing interesting in your blog post in exchange... (no you didn't write your Full experience)

The Great Emoticon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »

I'm actually very surprised at the price around $2,000 for that much exposure is great. I know a lot of people have both good and bad experiences at PAX but I think as a developer its a chance to see first hand how the general public perceives your game.

Any suggestions about how much of the game should be finished before starting to showcase at a show like PAX?

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:37 AM »

What kind of arrangement is that? You don't seem to have your own booth and your game isn't mentioned on the MegaBooth website.

I'm actually very surprised at the price around $2,000 for that much exposure is great. I know a lot of people have both good and bad experiences at PAX but I think as a developer its a chance to see first hand how the general public perceives your game.

Any suggestions about how much of the game should be finished before starting to showcase at a show like PAX?
Super Time Force was apparently shown after only a month of work: http://youtu.be/zj8-vxjAFHQ?t=1m24s

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 10:07:41 AM »

I don't know what sort of condition you have that you can't be around people, but you should have at least had someone else there to watch your booth and answer questions and stuff... Not just set up your game and walk away. It shows a lack of effort and commitment. It's no wonder that the other surrounding indie devs just used up your space. I'm not saying what they did is right, but you didn't really put up much of a fight to show off your game and keep your space for your game only.

Why not approach one of them and tell them to please keep clear of your area? Maybe they just assumed you didn't care enough about your game, considering nobody was there.

Trying to show off your game at a convention is like 10% showing your game and 90% networking/talking to people. If you aren't there to talk to people, then you are really wasting your money.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »

I'm guessing Urthvas also has a hard time being around people on the forums here, so I doubt we'll hear much more from him, but I'm sure the actual game has no bearing on people's interest in it whatsoever... Ahem...

And reading through some of the blog post, I really can't tell if this is some elaborate joke/troll/hoax/whatever.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Urthvas Williamson
Level 0

Urthvas Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »

Christian Knudsen I don't understand? You are saying my game is bad? When did you play it?

"I'm not gonna change into anything, Ty. I must take him on as a man. So the others realize they can stand up to him.  Without fear."

Urthvas Williamson
Level 0

Urthvas Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »

About the booth strategy, look, we all do what we can do at the time we can do it. Yes I did not get a full Indie Mega booth, I was in the Mini Booth which was a smaller section where games were combined into one area. Maybe there were 8 games in the Mini Booth all together. But I do not think I should have had to fight to defend my space like Castle Doctryne, I thought indies were supposed to be nice to each other and helping each other in the community! Which is also why I don't understand why Christian Knudsen is saying my game sucks

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »

Christian Knudsen I don't understand? You are saying my game is bad? When did you play it?

Sorry, but your game looks terrible in screenshots. It might be really fun to play, but I can certainly understand people not being interested in giving it a shot based on those visuals.

Laserbrain Studios
Urthvas Williamson
Level 0

Urthvas Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »

The game is IN DEVELOPMENT, bro! It looks better now than the old screenshot you posted! (And it will look better later!) Check out my new I.G.F. entry trailer in my sig!

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »

I have no interest getting into an argument with you, as I'm sure it would be completely futile. So good luck with your game.

Laserbrain Studios
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »

I was in the Megabooth at both PAX East and PAX Prime this year--costs ran me about $3,300 for PAX East (including the costs of buttons, a TV, TV stand, banners, etc.) PAX Prime was closer to $2,700, since I was able to reuse some materials. I found it worthwhile as a way to reach new fans and engage with the press, but it wasn't cheap.

What kind of arrangement is that? You don't seem to have your own booth and your game isn't mentioned on the MegaBooth website.

That would be the Indie Minibooth, a less-expensive arrangement where you get some time at a table in a dedicated space in the middle of the Megabooth. I've never done that one, so I have no idea if it's considered worthwhile.

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »

The game is IN DEVELOPMENT, bro! It looks better now than the old screenshot you posted! (And it will look better later!) Check out my new I.G.F. entry trailer in my sig!
It would just help your game immensely to have more polished graphics. I watched the entire trailer and I'll say that the gameplay looks potentially fun but the graphics are flat out ugly. They aren't even "retro" or "nostalgic" they are just bad programmer art.

Also you should really consider showing the stats of the characters when you equip gear to them. Seems like it would be quite annoying to just blindly add gear to characters and then have to hover over them again to look at the stat changes.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic