Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:45:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Test, need feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Test, need feedback  (Read 647 times)
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »

I made a game called the Test. I spent 2 days on it and am not sure if I should pursue it any further. Link to the game here https://www.dropbox.com/s/568aqtuk94qcyb9/theTest%28beta1.2%29.rar
Thanks in advance <3
FrankForce
Level 2

This tepid water is tasteless.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »

At first I was like wow this is a really cool concept, I need to solve a test while I'm playing a shooter.  So I was running around avoiding those things while trying to figure out the math problem.  Then I realized that the problems are solved automatically and was a little disappointed.  The gameplay itself has all the important elements but it feels a bit sloppy and rushed.  If you gave the player an ability to launch projectiles that might make it more fun.  The melee combat didn't feel like an attack it just felt like I was pressing space.  If you've came this far you should put in a little more work to dial in the gameplay so it as fun as possible for the player.  Also it would be more compelling if the test was part of the gameplay instead of something that happens automatically.
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »

Okay, thanks so much for the feedback. I see what you're saying and I was hesitant on adding projectiles as not to feel too much like Binding of Issac. I'll make changes and update this thread hopefully.
hmkay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:38:49 PM »

I liked the atmosphere, meaning the graphics and the whole scribbly-style. I did not get the connection to an exam? Is it supposed to be a daydream?

After reading the intro I tried all the action-keys before I noticed that I could just run on the paper sheet - which was a cool moment. Either the fight-mechanics are way to hard or I just suck at this game. Mainly It is hard to estimate the range of my pen-weapon and it seems a little short-ranged. I would like a slashing-weapon with a little bit more range better.

What is the idea behind the red/blue pen-distinction? (I get it gameplay-wise, but what is the connection to the test/exam-setting supposed to be?)

Overall I would say, keep at it!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic