Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 01:32:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMind Trap (full)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mind Trap (full)  (Read 1093 times)
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2013, 06:31:47 PM »

DESCRIPTION:
Try to find exit from labyrinths of your mind.

DOWNLOADS:
Check it out here or here.

SCREENS(clickable):

EXTRA:
Game page: http://digital-synthesis.com/games/view/38
Game made in 1.5 weeks for <<Hikkidevs Jam#0>>

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:39:42 PM by SaintHeiser » Logged
Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »

Mind Trap is very interesting and made me smile a lot while playing. The only suggestions I could give would deal with a more unique art style and guiding the player a little more as to give a better idea of what it is I should be doing. But a very enjoyable experience on my end ^_^
hmkay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:45 AM »

Game executed without any problems (Windows 7, 64bit).

I like the music you picked and the spots of flashy colors in the game. All the text-boards everywhere made me feel a little uncomfortable.

I have to say, I am completely lost. I have no idea where I am supposed to go or what I am supposed to find - I get, that I am supposed to find an exit, but how would that thing look in there? I am a little overwhelmed with the setting, while having no clue what I am able to do in this world.

I would like a general idea of things that I would have to look out for. Are the text-boards important? Is the random picture behind a door a hint to something? What do the colored numbers on the ground mean? No idea. I got to the creativity citadel and then I ran right back to the starting point.

Throwing tables at random things is fun.
SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:07:16 PM »

When an idea cycled in your mind you can't understand what you should to do. I mean love, death and other emotional senses. Similary, a player in this game must understand what he need to do to break a mind cell and find answer to his question.

NOTE to the "one-side" hints. They are tell what you should to do =) But you need run around to explore these hints.
Fsmv
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »

I must say overall, this game was brilliant. I'll have to find some more of your games.

As for criticisms, I do think there were parts that were too slow. But then again trying to guide the player more may break the game entirely. I'm not good enough to tell you how to fix it but there were times when I spent 15 - 20 minutes wondering around looking for something I missed. However when I found something it felt great. I also got stuck on the stairs quite a few times, they don't always work correctly.

Anyway here's what I wrote as I played it it contains spoilers and I don't want to ruin it for anyone else. Here it is:

Music is nice, and the footsteps sound is great. The jumping sound seems out of place though.

The mouse sensitivity is a little high, a config menu would have been nice.

I went up the steps to the room with the doors and walked through all of them closing them. Nothing seemed to happen so I grabbed the cactus and went out the door I didn't come from. I went up the spiral staircase, found another cactus and jumped off. Next I want through some spinning gates, I guess this new area is called the creative citidel. There are some numbers on the ground; I have no idea what is going on so far. I took note of the numbers and found the hidden text about closing the door when I leave.

Next I went down the "entrance to the idea information scanning conveyor." Down some steps I found another cactus, they don't seem to hurt me, I guess they're collectables. Are the cacti my objective? I turned to go back up because there didn't seem to be anywhere to go and the steps didn't really work; I had to jump my way back up.

I found some platforms off of the conveyor entrance and tried jumping on them, I fell off and found myself in the starting area again. On my way back to the path I noticed the first number changed, they now read 16 20 30 instead of 17 20 30. Is that because of the death or the cactus?

I went down that side path again and made it to a doorway which I walked through the close the door and a large platform. There I looked around a bit and did some jumping to collect 3 cacti. I wanted to go back and check the numbers but I didn't seem to be able to. I decided to jump off so I could see what the number means.

Going back to check it was at 13 19 30 so the first number seems to be the cacti that I have left to collect. I don't know about the other two though. I decided to go back along the path because there was more to explore over there. Oh, I didn't need to kill myself after all, I'm back at the spiral staircase tower.

I went back through the spawn point and to a new area, the "temple of beliefs." I noticed the floating text and started trying to put the tables and chairs in their places. It didn't seem to be able to place them gently so I decided to throw them all off instead. While throwing the tables and chairs I noticed a cactus and two more doors. At this point I realized the second number may be the number of doors there are to close. I then noticed that the chairs and tables are respawning, I tried to beat the clock for a bit and make something happen but it didn't seem to work so I decided to leave.

I found some stairs that went up to the ledge where I could see some scrolling words that I've seen before from below. I decided to jump onto them. There's something like fire at one end and a drop at the other. I fell trying to jump onto the railing.

Going back to look at the numbers, the first two are what I expect 12 17 but the last one changed a lot, it's at 11 now. Was it the tables and chairs? I leave looking for tables and chairs, I find 3 chairs and a table then throw them off. In the process I realized that they weren't respawning by a timer, I just wasn't throwing them off well enough. Going back to check the numbers, It's 12 17 07 exactly what I expected, I have 12 cacti to find, 17 doors to close and 7 tables/chairs to throw off the map. I wonder what will be here when I finish.

I walked around for a bit and found a few of the objectives, but when I was walking up the spiral tower again I found a floating blue rectangle off of the side. It looked like a platform but I was weary since it looked similar to the ghost tables and chairs which I pass straight through. Eventually I jumped on it and noticed more appear. It was hard to make it across all of them, I fell at least 5 times before making it, maybe I should have been able to walk across them or something instead of jumping.

I was rewarded with a few doors and a cactus, I'm at 10 13 07 now.

I'm at 07 08 05 now, I'm continually impressed with the secrets. As soon as I think I've found all of the areas I see a new place to jump to floating in the void. Holy crap the brick wall was fake, another type of secret. I'm loving this.

I found what I assume is the last thing, it was a second teleporter, I'm at 02 01 00 now. Even with the slow spots in between I'm noticing that every time I find something new it's just as fun as the last.

I found the last cactus, one more door left to find now. I found it on one of the spinning disk on top of the tower.

Is this the end? I'll explore a bit to make sure, this room is big though. There's a big blue spike in my vision sometimes, it makes me think this area wasn't play tested much and it is the end, I'm still looking around though. There are some things I can climb but they seem to lead to nowhere.

And you broke my expectations one last time. Absolutely wonderful, well done.

I'm really interested to know if this is the order others found things in. Is this the order that you intended? Was I being unknowingly led the whole time?

A lot about this game was really good. I think the sensitivity could be improved but I did get used to it and maybe I was meant to feel uncomfortable at first. Maybe you could add a timer at the end so people can speed run it, then again that's not really the point of the game. I'm really having a hard time finding something wrong with this.

I hope you found my account useful at least, I had a lot of fun playing the game.

SaintHeiser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »

2Fsmv
I really impressed and very happy with your feedback.
You did the right thing and acted exactly as planned =)
B6ka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »

Interesting. Just two issues: mouse was too sensitive, i.e. camera was moving around too fast. I got stuck on stairs. When I was going up the stairs, sometimes it would just stop though there was no obstacle in front. I could continue when I jumped.

B6ka
Game developer, cat-gun enthusiast, alligator farmer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic