Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:38:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSprout's Tale- Fantasy Platformer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Sprout's Tale- Fantasy Platformer  (Read 7465 times)
SprouttheGame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »

The object you see in the video/gif is just a stand in for the actual enemy. The real model looks like this:

But we haven't animated it yet. It will be all black.

Rain kills enemies because the player will be using magic power to manipulate nature to use as a tool or weapon against the evil forces in the world.

As for Navi- we experimented with a lot of designs, and we landed on a simple fairy look. Leaf-wings and a light.

The fairy is used to assist the player, and you will have full control over its movement via the right thumbstick during game. She can provide light and pick up out of reach objects. You can see a demo of how the fairy is used here:

http://sproutthegame.blogspot.com/
Our blog. Please visit!

Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 09:08:53 AM »

Very nice Smiley

By the way, your background style remembers me of old amiga games with bazillions of background parallax layers.

My company site: www.kidoteca.com
My blog: www.coderofworlds.com
SprouttheGame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 01:46:40 PM »

Thanks for the compliment!

I don't know the amiga games though Sad

Our blog. Please visit!

Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 06:21:07 PM »

Look on YouTube for shadow of.the beast at least. Awesome art and sound, but terrible gameplay... But good inspiration for what you want I guess...

SprouttheGame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »

Here's a couple of updates. Vines can be used as a tool or a weapon, and fire can be used as a light or can be deadly to the player. Below, you can see grass burning as a Fire Hound touches it and then the vines in action. We're just using placeholders now for the enemies and vines, so it looks a bit rough, but the foundation is in Smiley

Touching burning grass is deadly!

Also, please vote for Sprouts Tale for IndieDB's Indie of the Year!

Our blog. Please visit!

Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 11:59:03 AM »

Compared to the tree, your vine thing is looking really bad Sad

It is just like a mask that you grow in a static sprite, even if you used scaling (instead of mask) it seems it would look better.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »

This looks great! Also, very interesting game mechanic. 

It reminds a little bit of Trine, but I think that's mostly due to the wizard hat and the 2.5D look. Your art direction is much more pleasant and uplifting.

SprouttheGame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »

Hi guys, it’s been a while. Development hit a couple of snags that put us on a path where any progress being made didn’t give us a lot to show. But for the last three weeks or so we’ve been able to start churning out good, visual content again and we’d love if you’d tell us what you think.

Since my last update, we’ve basically replaced all of our level assets in an effort to create a busier, more easily-navigated level path. Our artist put together some really beautiful new models to fill the world with, and hopefully by the time all this is over we’ll be able to properly do his work justice.

We’ve also been able to add in some really beautiful new features, as well as perfecting some of the older ones. The new scenery really adds a lot of magic to the original features of growing grass and trees.

And the new stuff looks pretty good too, we think:

In the above image, the player is controlling the fairy to light his way through a nearly pitch black cave. A fire enemy prowls the ground nearby.

The fairy can also carry stuff for the player:

There’s lots more new stuff to see, and I don’t wanna ruin this thread by adding too many gifs and images, so I’ll keep updating as more stuff comes through.

Our blog. Please visit!

Ironstrom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 04:05:20 PM »

I reached out to the sprout's tale devs recently for a little bit of advise here and there. Just a nudge to get some commentary going if anyone has some thoughts. Suggestions/observations have actively had a effect on Sprout's development and I'm sure they'd love to see more.
PetertheHe
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »

This thread hasn't been updated in a while but I'm working with the Sprout team - we're getting ready to kickstart.

So, here's a quick more up-to-date look at Sprout!

We've pretty much got a demo level up and running. All of the stuff we were going on about adding last year have been added: fairy and all!

Most of the game's core systems and artwork are ready: all we need to do is tweak them and put them together.

Meanwhile I'm working on a supplemental 2D version of Sprout (with all the original art and stuff) which will be released VERY SOON so watch this space.  Smiley

-Peter
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 03:41:10 PM »

Awesome progress, I think it's good you revamped the level design assets, really looking good now.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
SprouttheGame
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 04:07:18 PM »

Thanks a lot! Yeah we've made some massive changes to the overall appearance of the game as well as some less noticeable changes to some of the game's core mechanics. We're going to go public with the demo within the next couple of weeks, and we've to have more people to test it out. Please let us know if you're interested.

Our blog. Please visit!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic