Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:46:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOPERATION: COMBAT
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: OPERATION: COMBAT  (Read 778 times)
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »

A very little thing I'm doing to take a break from other things I'm doing, this is a sort of 'X-Com for Dummies'. It's nothing grand and should be finished in a few days.

Way back in the 1980s, when I was a young boy, I was so excited by the output of gamemakers Konami that I wrote a letter to them explaining in great detail exactly what they needed to do to make the MOST AWESOME GAME imaginable. Sadly, the letter went unanswered and Konami's future output must have suffered immeasurably as a result...

Now, however, I find it is within my power to make that game and fulfill my childhood wish! So here it is. So far only the barracks are in place, but later the computer will give out missions and the door will let you access them before returning to the barracks to buy stuff. Oh, and there will be swing-ball in that big empty space in the middle.

For now, put some music on (the choice of music is in honour of my younger self's demands - I know I don't have permission so shhhhh... I'll change it later), have an ice-cream, have an arm-wrestle. Immerse yourself in a detailed simulation of military life! And do be prepared for people to make comments about your ass - this is the army, after all.

(There is a bit of a load time but hopefully it will work. Firefox seems the best bet but I'd be interested to know how other browsers fare.)

(EDIT: Just noticed the audio is very low. It is there when you click on people but you might not realise that unless you have your speakers up a bit more than usual.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:34:12 PM by Panurge » Logged

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »

Couldn't help spinning the mouse around the hero and pirouetting everywhere. Exactly as I imagine the army.

It's got potential but ask me if I'd rather have this or Comet first.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 09:22:45 AM »

Hey, a tight pirouette is a pretty good way to fit in with army life and win new friends! And if your entrechat isn't up to scratch then you can forget about making sergeant. That's my understanding, anyway.

This is very much a side-project and my main focus is still After the Comet, but I've been kind of burned out on that since I discovered last week that I really have to redo a lot of it from the ground up. It was my first attempt at programming and I went at it in a stupidly convoluted way which I now need to straighten out. It shouldn't take more than a clear day to do, but unfortunately I don't get too many of those at the moment. In the meantime, I'm just taking a quick break and indulging a few nostalgic whims...

Thanks for taking a look!

ZASkaggs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »

Firefox seems the best bet but I'd be interested to know how other browsers fare.

Everything seemed to work fine in Chrome.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »

Thank you! That's good to know.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic