Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:34:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Dungeoning
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The Dungeoning  (Read 24670 times)
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »

WHAT IS THIS
The Dungeoning is a mix of things, it's a difficult action game and a platformer with a bit of RPG and Rogue mixed in. It's inspired by Dark Souls and 16 bit platform games. If you die in The Dungeoning, you die in real life. No, wait, if you die you lose everything and start again in a new world.

PLATFORMS?
PC / MAC / Unix (later)

IT'S AN RPG?
You can level up your players various stats to improve strength, stamina, defence and magic. Killing enemies increases the players experience, which can be spent however you like.

WEAPONS?
There are many varieties of weapons to collect and master through the game - Swords, Bows, Catapults, and magic weapons. Also there are shields.

SOMEONE MENTIONED ITEMS?
You'll need to gather resources as you play if you have any chance of surviving.  These range from things that heal and replenish magic power, to berries with specific healing effects, for instance a water berry would be a great thing to eat if you were on fire.

IT WOULD BE COOL IF THERE WAS JEWELLERY OR SOMETHING.
There is! There are many rings to find that will help you survive. Some light your way, some protect you from fire, some make you sneaky.  There's a lot of them but you can only wear two at a time.

THIS ISN'T A ROGUELIKE
I know, but it has some elements commonly associated with Roguelike games, such as procedural level generation, magic, weapons, stats, high difficulty and permadeath. Roguelike is a convenient term for these things!

WHO MADE THIS
@nickd3000 - This is my first attempt at making a game solo, and the first game I've programmed myself. I'm doing the design, art, code and music. Wish me luck.
I have made other games in partnership with @physmotone (Mos Speedrun, Lineable, and Ghostracer - all iPhone, in which I did the design and art).

WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE
Heres a pic: http://i.imgur.com/IH7g1rdl.png

ARE THERE VIDEOS?
Yep:
Most Recent Dev Video:

The Dungeoning Alpha Trailer :

The Dungeoning Dev Video 11 : http://youtu.be/2bS7-8AhTg4

WEB SITE?
http://www.thedungeoning.com/

GREENLIGHT?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214637821

WHEN IS IT OUT?
I'm getting close to finishing this but I don't know exactly when.
I hope to have a paid alpha version of the full game on Desura soon, for folks who want early (cheaper) access to the game or are curious to see it. Also it will help support my Greenlight campaign when it comes to it Smiley

FEEDBACK
Feedback makes the world go round and the games better! If you have any thought on what you've seen or played, please let me know, either here or contacting me on twitter (@nickd3000) or the web site above.

MISC
I'm programming this in Java / Open GL using Eclipse as the IDE
For graphics I'm Using Photoshop and Graphics Gale for animation.
For music I'm using GarageBand on iPhone (!)
For sound editing I'm using Audacity.

THANK YOU!
For all the feedback, kind words and criticism so far, it really means a lot!

- Nick
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 04:32:20 AM by nickd3000 » Logged

Twitter: @nickd3000 - Mos Speedrun 2 - Physmo.com - The Dungeoning
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »

This looks nice! Smiley  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »

Looks pretty cool indeed.
Anything that features permadeath has my attention.

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
psyguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »

Nice work!  Do you plan to add any flavor of cooperative play to the game?
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »

Ooh. Action roguelike. With cross-platform support!  Waaagh!

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »

Nice work!  Do you plan to add any flavor of cooperative play to the game?

Not at the moment, It would take quite a bit of rework to add multiplayer unfortunately :/

shelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 02:14:40 AM »

I believe you should give the hero some color, or brighter armor, or something else to make him more visible. I had a hard time finding him in the first place. Just an accent or something.  =)

looks nice otherwise. What magic will be there?

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 02:22:37 AM »

I like the look of the game, but on second thought, could you maybe remake the lighting a little bit? The contrast between neighboring blocks is a little too harsh.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ZASkaggs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 06:04:21 AM »

The retro theme is very appealing. Do you think you'll have music in the final version?

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:02:04 AM »

I like the look of the game, but on second thought, could you maybe remake the lighting a little bit? The contrast between neighboring blocks is a little too harsh.

I was planning to try smoother lighting when I get a chance, although I kind of like the chunky look of it just now, and it's really fast  Wink

The retro theme is very appealing. Do you think you'll have music in the final version?

Yes definitely planning to have music.  I'll have a try at making it myself first and when that fails I'll look for some!

looks nice otherwise. What magic will be there?

Mostly projectile based, I have an auto targetting system in there at the moment, I'll try to come up with some interesting elemental magic that will apply status effects. Wink

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »

I thought I'd post a pic of a recent thing I added to the game - some shadows drawn on the solid level tiles, it makes the walls stand out a bit better I think.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »

This looks great and the title is awesome. I'm already thinking there should be a sequel called 'The Undungeoning' in which you have to fight your way back up to the surface.

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 01:21:32 AM »

This looks great and the title is awesome. I'm already thinking there should be a sequel called 'The Undungeoning' in which you have to fight your way back up to the surface.

Haha Smiley that means I can pretend I'm saving all the good stuff for the sequel!

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 03:28:59 AM »

I really like this concept. The movie looks great, the animations and pixelart are super sweet - I know I'm going to love it if you keep going like this.

But there is one thing I cannot look past - you've been obviously inspired by Legend of Dungeon (which is perfectly fine), and using the same look on those big, beveled stones just does not work for me. I'd personally try to find something, a slight variation in shape, material or anything that makes this element of your game look a bit different.
The look of those stones is so iconic, and they are so dominant in the screenshots, and I fear that if you don't differ more than you are currently, you'll have a hard time finding your own visual identity.

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 03:42:47 AM »

I really like this concept. The movie looks great, the animations and pixelart are super sweet - I know I'm going to love it if you keep going like this.

But there is one thing I cannot look past - you've been obviously inspired by Legend of Dungeon (which is perfectly fine), and using the same look on those big, beveled stones just does not work for me. I'd personally try to find something, a slight variation in shape, material or anything that makes this element of your game look a bit different.
The look of those stones is so iconic, and they are so dominant in the screenshots, and I fear that if you don't differ more than you are currently, you'll have a hard time finding your own visual identity.

Hi, glad you like it so far, the graphic style is the same as the first video I posted a year ago. Legend of Dungeon looks lovely but I've only seen that in the last few days on this board Smiley

Nick

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 12:16:22 PM »

New Dev Video

Just a little update. I've uploaded a new work in progress video, with a few minutes of game play over a couple of procedurally generated levels.  I've recently been working on player stats, wearable rings that give player ability  buffs, destructible objects, menu functionality and a few other things.
It's still work in progress so there will be a lot of refinement to level generation, graphics and sound. (sorry there's no music yet).
Also, the wand I collect about half way through is way too powerful at the moment and makes it look a bit easy.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »

Does this game have classes or leveling? Or are you just using "roguelike" to denote "procedurally generated levels and permadeath"?

nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 11:34:56 PM »

Does this game have classes or leveling? Or are you just using "roguelike" to denote "procedurally generated levels and permadeath"?

There will be levelling up, class will be denoted by the stats allotted to the player at the start of a run. Individual stats can be increased and various items provide status effects, boosts and buffs.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »

Point of order, but - while it's been a long time - I don't recall the original Rogue having classes either? Not so sure about levels... the main difference I notice between this and my conception of a 'roguelike' is that this is real-time combat rather than the step-by-step stuff you get in most roguelikes. But then, the definition seems to be changing anyway.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
nickd3000
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 02:21:56 AM »

Lets just say, I know what a roguelike is and I know that I am abusing the term when I say this game is going to be a roguelike, but it's a useful description nonetheless. I want to make it a fun game and hope rogue purists will forgive me :D

<3 @ "

Nick

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic