Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:35:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Trilby
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Trilby  (Read 103725 times)
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: January 13, 2010, 05:17:19 AM »

Hmmmm, about the new sprite. It fixed the hands and the end of the umbrella, but it introduced a new problem. The umbrella is moving up and down weirdly, it looks like he's rolling it around instead of angling it side-to-side behind his head.

1:2:

Also, I'm really nitpicking now, but the outline on his front elbow is fixed mostly but it's too sharp right at the tip in some frames. Remove the final pixel at the edge to round it a bit, maybe?

Sorry, I don't want it to seem like I'm ungrateful for your brilliant work...

When it comes to nitpicks as such, I think you would be a lot more constructive if you just edited the animation yourself. Seriously, it's only a few pixels and takes about as long as you need to type up that post...

no you can see the elbow of his back arm.

uhm will we need to edit it for the other direction? (i.e the umbrella will be the other way round)

Nope, it will be mirrored like all the other characters, otherwise you need to take all the animations that have been done so far and do them again facing in the other direction. It's just not worth the effort...

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 13, 2010, 05:51:11 AM »

When it comes to nitpicks as such, I think you would be a lot more constructive if you just edited the animation yourself. Seriously, it's only a few pixels and takes about as long as you need to type up that post...
Yeah but you can do it better. Wink
uthere1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 13, 2010, 07:56:29 AM »

i have a static of floating with open umbrella how exactly do i show the pic? Durr...?
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 13, 2010, 08:35:18 AM »

You'll need to host it on a third-party image-sharing site, then you can link to it using [ img] tags (without that space in it. I'm not sure how to force this forum to display BBcode as text).

There's a button above the text-box when you create a post that'll place the tags for you; just type the URL that relates to your uploaded image between them.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: February 13, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »

I use imageshack.us for image hosting.

nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 25, 2010, 04:35:02 PM »

This will sound wild (also, hey everybody!), but I know people remember that Trilby has a moment where he pulls a rug out under The Welder's feet to knock him out.

Should give him a rug-pull attack. Just sayin'!

(If this was posted before and I missed it because I'm a non-thread-reading SOB, I apologize: I just figured I'd make the suggestion before jumping right back into homework (and downloading this).)

- n o t h i n g x s -
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: February 25, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »

This will sound wild (also, hey everybody!), but I know people remember that Trilby has a moment where he pulls a rug out under The Welder's feet to knock him out.

(If this was posted before and I missed it because I'm a non-thread-reading SOB, I apologize: I just figured I'd make the suggestion before jumping right back into homework (and downloading this).)
I wouldn't call that characteristic of Trilby.
nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 25, 2010, 05:22:37 PM »

I wouldn't call that characteristic of Trilby.

It was when I was soiling myself wondering what the hell I was going to do against the guy.

Anyway, you're focusing more on the AoT style of Trilby so I wouldn't even worry about it, it was somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek suggestion anyway.

(This all looks ridiculously good, by the by.)

- n o t h i n g x s -
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: February 25, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »

(This all looks ridiculously good, by the by.)
Why did you think I joined?  Wink
It is awesome to take part of it, even if you just make suggestions.

Anyway, since Ardent seems to have stopped spriting, I'd just like to say that drawing the umbrella floating sprite could just be the jumping, grolly, and umbrella stab edited together. I'd do it but I'm bad at animating Crazy

Edit:
This is sort of what I meant:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:08:32 PM by Goodbye » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: February 25, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »

A rug attack isn't a bad suggestion. The main issue is that it's not really something Trilby specializes in. It's just something he happened to do, once.

Still, if you can come up with an interesting gameplay mechanic for it (simply stunning the enemy is redundant with the tazer), I would consider it. Mostly because I'm not too thrilled with his current vS.

Also, nice drifting sprite. Although it would be nice if the umbrella was more centered.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: February 25, 2010, 10:12:07 PM »

We could use the "sugar rush" ability for vS.

Wouldn't be one use. It would give him a temporary speed boost when he uses it followed by a 'crash' that slows him down afterwards to prevent abuse.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: February 25, 2010, 10:17:27 PM »

That's a good concept. I'll need to think about how to implement it, but I like the basic idea.

thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: February 26, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »

Any better?
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 26, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »

Very nice. Just keep in mind that where he's gripping the umbrella should to be more or less directly above his center of gravity.
nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 26, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »

A rug attack isn't a bad suggestion. The main issue is that it's not really something Trilby specializes in. It's just something he happened to do, once.

Still, if you can come up with an interesting gameplay mechanic for it (simply stunning the enemy is redundant with the tazer), I would consider it. Mostly because I'm not too thrilled with his current vS.

Also, nice drifting sprite. Although it would be nice if the umbrella was more centered.

The tazer stuns in place. This could be a sort of 'fierce' rug pull where he really yanks it up and pops you up into the air for a moment. In fact, I haven't seen many launcher-style attacks in the game at all.

- n o t h i n g x s -
shig
« Reply #375 on: February 27, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »

He could just have another physical attack, y'know. He really doesn't have many options when you want to hurt someone... Also, Sugar Rush would be cool, but he already has two dodge/teleport moves and he isn't at all slow either.

A rug pull would be cool since it'd be a launcher, but just a stronger umbrella swing would be pretty good, too.
nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 27, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »

He could just have another physical attack, y'know. He really doesn't have many options when you want to hurt someone... Also, Sugar Rush would be cool, but he already has two dodge/teleport moves and he isn't at all slow either.

A rug pull would be cool since it'd be a launcher, but just a stronger umbrella swing would be pretty good, too.

I'd like the rug pull if only because it'd be a physically different-looking attack, therefore making it rather clear what it is. You want the player to have a lot of visual feedback as to what they are doing and to make that feedback distinguishable from other attacks, yeah?

- n o t h i n g x s -
shig
« Reply #377 on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »

I was thinking about something like a two-handed baseball bat swing motion. It'd be pretty different visually to the normal swing.

The only thing the rug-pull has got going on for it is that it'd be a crouched, low attack that sends the opponent upwards. We could use more of those. Plus, it adds more variety than an attack that's basically a stronger but slower/shorter ranged version of another attack he already has.

nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 27, 2010, 05:36:26 PM »

I was thinking about something like a two-handed baseball bat swing motion. It'd be pretty different visually to the normal swing.

The only thing the rug-pull has got going on for it is that it'd be a crouched, low attack that sends the opponent upwards. We could use more of those. Plus, it adds more variety than an attack that's basically a stronger but slower/shorter ranged version of another attack he already has.

Visually, however, it's still a variation of an umbrella swing.

As for the rug pull, I figured it'd be more of a snatch-and-pull-back/up sort of motion. So while the first few frames would be crouching, the last few would not. Even then it'd be nice to give the motion invulnerability to projectiles...

- n o t h i n g x s -
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: February 27, 2010, 07:48:23 PM »

It would look odd to make a rug appear out of nowhere though.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic