Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 08:52:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDungeon Fall
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Fall  (Read 684 times)
forto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:36:44 AM »

Who, Me?

Who, Me? Who, Me?

Who, Me?

Lips Sealed
Ok, recently I've worked a bit up on this idea... I've also made a forum to help categorise things up (here ). If someone like this idea and feels like to join up with me as dev team I am more than gladly to!

Anyway, here's what done about Dungeon Fall so far now.

Intro
Rosame wasn't the kind of adventurer, nor she would have ever though one day she would pick other people's properties without asking them first: but you know, it's said that when famine hits the whole kingdom, most heals from starving are unlawful.
Rosame wasn't never ever confident with her own inner or outer beauty: that's why she'd become a thief; but she also got her own way to make things clean.
In lands ravaged by famine what possible rich being she could pickpocket? Her first though were about the dead ones: descend into the depths of the catacombs it seemed a smart choice for her.

The poor Rosame.

Rationale
We control Rosame at her descent on what she think is a catacomb; as soon she enter the dungeon the ceiling fall down... but she manage to survive jumping down in a hole. Once she get on the lower room the ground above her crumble under the weight of the ceiling. Another hole in the ground is her new exist... and so go on until she doesn't reach a special hall (end level) where's she safe from the collapse... but still trapped in the dungeon. So, her only way to escape is yet again to descent to the next underground level... which mean she will run again and again for each Hall until she's able to find a definitive way out of the dungeon.
The game is a 2D sidescroller (descending from top to below). It's all about falling down since Rosame can't climb up... nor can stand still too much time on a single platform (the ceilings are falling like dominoes).
Gameplay and mechanics

Core structure
The camera view descent slowly but constantly; if our heroine Rosame is caught between the ceiling (which is the top of the camera view) and the floor she dies instantly; in order to survive she need to fall through hole to hole on the collapsing grounds, and so go on until she don't reach a safe place (a special room coated in stone/metal) which is the end of the current level (see "development plan" for level-world structure).

Rosame's stats
There are three attributes that will take effect during the gameplay: Speed (SPD), Attack (ATK), Defence (DEF) and Health/HitPoints (HP).
HP: there's nothing special about this, HP works the usual way: [enemy inflict damage to Rosame == HP down], [Rosame collect/use potion (see powerup item section) == HP up]
SPD: the speed in which Rosame moves trigger three different modes ([Idle],[Walks],[Run]: see "Controls section" for more detail ) and four speeds: [idle] = stand still, [walks] == move slow OR normal (same animation, different speeds), [run] == move fast. Ultimately [walk] and [run] modes ATK and DEF (the [walk] and [idle] modes act same but one stand still while other actually moves).

animation
Stats alteration when [idle]/[walk]: this is the defensive mode, ATK is lower but DEF is increased. Also attacks with quick stabs.

animation
Stats alteration when [run]: bersek mode, ATK is increased but DEF is nearly non-existent. Since running, attacks take up much more space and so need a good timing or else you'll crash on enemy (vulnerable area)
Controls

Player movement are done though smartphone/tablet screen rotation, currently screen inclination control the mode in which Rosame runs, walks or stand still (you're not supposed to stand still that longer). When Rosame reach an hole, she fall down below: no action is required by the player.

If we assume that the player is holding the handheld laying it on the conjunction between finger and wrists (metacarpals) while index finger is holding up (ref) then player may have both thumbs free (try yourself, you'll see it's not that hard keep this position).
With both thumbs free player can still assume extra control: from the simple tap, to swipe and even pinch to zoom effect (thumbs may have limited movement from the border anyway). Since tilting the handheld it's already a bit of challenge we go for the most easy way: player can use it's thumbs on two simple virtual buttons on the bottom

Controls through device tilting
In order to control both walking directions the player uses screen tilting, also we take advantage of the analog feature for improve gameplay experience: the more the screen is tilted, the more Rosame will run fast.
In the given example, let's assume that the tilting value is +100 and 0 (where 0 is "flat device") for tilting left and between -1 ~ -100 is for tilting right.

Where:
+100 and +80: Heroine runs left at her max speed possible, animation is "running" and so [run] her walking mode.
+79 and +40: Heroine walks left steady and (moderately) fast, her animation is "walks" and so [walk] her mode.
+39 and +10: heroine walks slowly left, animation is still "walking" and so her mode [walk]
+9 and 0 (also 0 and -9): heroine stand still, animation is "standing" but you can force her to face left direction (for hit in that direction). The same apply for -1 and -9 value... so player can switch which direction to face without need to actually moving.
Negative value have the same attribute, but speculative (right) direction.

-----------------

Ok, that's all so far now!
There's some little extra stuff on the official thread and on my youtube channel. But you don't need to get there: I am watching this thread.

my webcomics: Planet Outrun (Scifi), The President (Horror), Assassin of Superheroes.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »

bit hard to imagine the game without a demo or gameplay video... let us know when you've got one.
forto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:24:44 AM »

Hum... it's hard to imagine kind of bad way (airy-fairy) or good way (seems an original and enjoyable project). I do appreciate any kind of feedback so if it need to be harsh... let it harsh be.  My Word!

my webcomics: Planet Outrun (Scifi), The President (Horror), Assassin of Superheroes.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic