Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:41:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookDark Matter Planet [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Dark Matter Planet [FINISHED]  (Read 25129 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2008, 11:53:14 PM »

201 Planets form’d of invisible matter.

Basically the idea is, everything in the game is invisible except for you and some pellets or something you can throw around. And you work out where things are by throwing pellets.

This should hopefully come out as an innovative and creepy game mechanic, and not just a cheap way to avoid doing much spritework for the game!

FINISHED!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6XVBF55R

I'll still probably make changes based on feedback if it comes up, but it has all the features I wanted, so I consider it finished.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:06:32 AM by chutup » Logged

hroon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 12:41:11 AM »

Sorry but ... http://iandallas.com/games/swan/

But the idea is still great for a horror game - you are happily painting your path when your pellet suddenly hits .. something right in front of you  Evil

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 12:59:24 AM »

Heh, I suspected there would be a game with a similar mechanic already. I'll try to focus on more horror-y elements.

Wait, so this Unfinished Swan game isn't out yet? That means I can get the jump on them  :D

Biggerfish
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 01:11:56 AM »

Cool idea, just make sure it's not too hard/annoying to find your way around. I don't want it to be like walking through a forest at midnight.
Koholint
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »

Not to discourage you, but didn't Nifflas make a game like that?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »

Tired God dammit.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »

Who cares if other people have made games like this?  It's a good idea, just run with it!

tweet tweet @j_younger
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »

It says planetS. Make it a shootan.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 12:51:51 AM »

A... shootan?

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 12:56:20 AM »

I mean a shmup.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 01:07:20 AM »

Hmm, I see how that would work but I don't think it has as much potential as a sidescroller/exploration game. And I can't think how you would create horror elements in a shmup.

Anyway, I'm thinking I want to have really good, creepy sound effects for this game, to make up for (and accentuate) the lack of visuals. But I really have no idea how to make sound effects aside from using sfxr, or downloading them off the internet and running them through crappy filters on Audacity. Can anyone give me some advice on how to make good sound effects?

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 02:04:37 AM »

And I can't think how you would create horror elements in a shmup.

Slow forced movement, have enemies make sounds but don't reveal them until the player hits them with a flare or something. Could actually be kinda creepy, if done well!

Can anyone give me some advice on how to make good sound effects?

I have no idea on how to make sound fx, but my school library has many cds full of royalty-free, high quality (BBC/Lucasarts) sound effects. If you could get your hands on a couple of those from a library, you're set.

awesty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 03:27:32 AM »

Depending on how you go about the idea I can see this game having a lot of potentiol.

Movius
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 03:56:22 AM »

Random aside: This is how the universe actually works. Dark matter cannot be seen or detected directly. But it can be mapped because its gravitation pull affects visible matter and the light emitted from them. Large regions of dark matter also attract countless galaxies and interstellar gas into the superclusters and filaments that form the universe.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 03:57:04 AM »

Unless you really want to make the sound effects yourself, I recommend http://www.freesound.org/.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 01:46:01 AM »

Cool idea, just make sure it's not too hard/annoying to find your way around. I don't want it to be like walking through a forest at midnight.

But that's an entertaining and terrifying way to spend an evening!

Hmm, how's this going then? Sounded like it had some rather wierd potential. Any (un)sprites?
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 03:15:38 AM »

Can anyone give me some advice on how to make good sound effects?

a microphone + Audacity / CoolEdit can be awfully helpful. I'm sure you can find some good VST effects out there free of charge too. AFAIK, CoolEdit comes with enough effects (and I'm not sure whether it supports VST). I use Audacity plus some Apple audiounits for distortion, delay and filters. Pitchblackoids' sound effects are mouth made.=)

then there's Dr. Petter's SFXR too.

EDIT: hope I got the question right.=)

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 03:20:20 AM »

I'm tempted to just post a big block of magenta, but somebody already made that joke in some other thread around here, so I guess I'll show you an actual screenshot.

As you can see, the player doesn't get much to go on. Rather than having whole shapes revealed like the Unfinished Swan, I plan to imply things through the motion of the pellets. The meter in the corner is your gun's ammo. You only get four shots for the whole game, but fortunately it's possible to avoid every enemy, so the gun is like a last resort.

Oh, and thanks for the help with sound effects. Freesound is a great website, and a fun way to kill time while pretending I'm working on my game  :D

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 05:45:40 AM »

Hah, four bullets only. that'll lead to everybody saving them for that final enemy. You know, the kind that you never know when you'll face.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
medieval
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 09:48:20 AM »

I think that's the life
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic