Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 09:58:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsINTERFERENCE - Stealth Puzzle Platformer - FIRST DEMO!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: INTERFERENCE - Stealth Puzzle Platformer - FIRST DEMO!  (Read 21845 times)
increment
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

Good God this looks like my kinda stuff right here.  Looking forward to the demo.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »

I prefer this version.  Very cute :3

Mnemonic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »

@somin -> Thank you! and yep, i have some ideas about the glitch mode, there will be some kind of pressure and "enemies" when you are in glitch mode, but not at the beginning of the game.
@increment -> Thanks, hope you'll like the demo !
@08--n7.r6-79.84 -> Haha, thx but i have a lot of difficulty to draw in pixel art... my respects to pixel artists!

So. Demo is here, if you have some time, give it a try and let me know what you think  Hand Joystick
You can download the demo here :

For Windows

or InterferenceDemoWindows on Mega
or InterferenceDemoWindows on Dropbox

For OSX

or InterferenceDemoOSX on Mega
or InterferenceDemoOSX on Dropbox

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:01:56 PM by Mnemonic » Logged

somin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 10:03:26 AM »

I liked it Smiley A little hard isn't it? ^^ that should be a later part of the game imo Smiley

although there are some ways to mitigate the difficulty which would be checkpoints, and not only on level loads. I'm talking about the platforming / stealth mostly.

I enjoyed the glitch part much more, but i guess thats just more of what I'm into. In this case it actually could be more challenging.

One thing I would strongly suggest is introducing a late jump, by which I mean add a short time after the player already left the platform in which he's still able to jump of, even though he's technically no longer able to. I think thats what i mostly died of - jumping a fraction too late.
I had a project  with a similar controll scheme and size relations and the late jump was something that helped immensely. I think its mostly necessary because of  the size of the character and the "realisticness" of him. With little boxy characters you can tell very well when the collision is going to leave the ground and fall off. With legs and wide steps its a little more tricky.

Actually I should add that I didn't make it through the stealth demo section. I think I was pretty far, but dying in the later part was just to frustrating to me.

Good job so far Smiley keep it up!

@sominklein      WIP Story Exploration Game      WIP Weltenformer      Done CLIMB
Mnemonic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »

Hard  Huh?   I wasn't sure about it...
I've played this demo hundred of times, that's my mistake Smiley Anyway, thanks for pointing that.

Also, your late jump suggestion is definitively something important to add!

ink.inc
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »

question: how do i actually lower myself onto a ledge?

feedback: the game looks very, very good, but it has a few polish issues with regard to levels. for example in the 2nd puzzle in the glitching tutorial, if you fall down after solving the puzzle, you've effectively stranded yourself (and can't reach the terminal to move the platforms again). Not only that, the puzzle doesn't reset when you leave the room and come back.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:41:45 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Mnemonic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »

Thanks for the feedback John!

About lowering onto a ledge, there is no way to do this automatically. As a player i prefer to make all the inputs, so, just fall and go right back in direction of the ledge (but maybe i will change this later).

The other thing about puzzles is an interesting problem. That's a diffuclty choice, because the player can go back by the same way.

Before, all puzzles were reseted when a new scene was loaded. But sometimes, the player was locked and can't go back. The only solution was to put hacking terminals everywhere...

I think it's the biggest problem with this gameplay mecanism.
It needs a big work on level/puzzle design or some kind of option to only reset a specific puzzle(but it can also lock the player)...

Also, you can reset/hack this puzzles by deleting/modifying the files in folder "Data/Matrices"... hack the hack  Cheesy

ink.inc
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 01:21:21 PM »

About lowering onto a ledge, there is no way to do this automatically. As a player i prefer to make all the inputs, so, just fall and go right back in direction of the ledge (but maybe i will change this later).

yeah, this makes it tricky in the stealth level when you're trying to lower yourself and grab the ledge before falling into the electric pit. maybe if you just hold the down key while walking off the ledge? that'd make things a lot more usable.
CowMainia
Level 0

Cheese Burgers

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »

This is a pretty good game, but extremely hard, mainly because the controls are delayed just a bit (but its an alpha so things like that are expected) I cant even get past the first guard but thats probably my lack of skill at any game ever. I have to say you did a great job on this!

LINK SPAM! YouTube::Google+::Twitter(coming soon)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »

I'm enjoying this very much! :D

I have some criticism about the demo. It is very difficult, yes, but that's not of much concern considering this is an alpha demo. It's probably the mission being used to test the gameplay by you and other devs.

There's a lot of precision platforming in this level design, timing lasers, jumps etc. For that to work you really need a very clear communication of the player collider. Failure should feel like it's coming from me as a player, if that doesn't happen the player will feel frustrated in the bad sense. I've played several times the same jump and I could never really tell how close to the edge I really was so I missed the jump. Or dodging lasers. Don't get me wrong, I love the sprite and animation! but for precision platforming you'd be better off with a simpler design. Take a look at other precision platformers out there, like stealth bastard, meat bot etc. The characters are practically squares.

Another thing that could help there (because I wouldn't have the courage to change the great visual design you got here) is to lower the run speed a little, that would make it easier on jumping from edges at least. Or, an even better solution, make the controls more "modular", I don't know if there's a term for this, but I'm thinking Assassins Creed and Mark of the Ninja. This control scheme actually removes most of the precision from platforming by automatically detecting edges. Examples: to jump from the edge you simply run towards it holding jump button and it automatically jumps when he reaches the end. IT also automatically stops near edges so the player can't accidentally fall. Climbing down by simply crouching and pressing something to eliminate that back and forth little dance we have to do to grab the edge we're on.

The stealth gameplay is great, I got no complaints there. And the glitcher is very promising as a gameplay mechanic. Oh, and CHECKPOINTS!

Mnemonic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2013, 05:29:37 AM »

John Sandoval > I've just added this move Beer! but it's still a bit rough.

CowMainia > Thanks! about delay on controls, if you try the demo with a xbox controller, it's normal because i forgot to adjust sticks' sensitivity.

diegzumillo > Thanks a lot for your feedback! yep, it's hard to have a good sync between sprite and collider with this style of sprites... easier with cubic character indeed Smiley I think I will go for the "modular/automatic" solution, reduce run speed, add a walk speed and a late jump.

Also, a gif to show some new things added to the game : Lowering on a ledge and checkpoints!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 05:46:44 AM »

Hey, left some feedback a few days ago on IndieDB
But basically:
- Checkpoints
- Better explained tutorial (I still don't know how to use the taser weapon)

And then two other little details:
- Some kind of animation of reaching for a ledge when you jump. This would be good visual feedback to the player that they'll actually make the jump
- An animation when you're climbing/hanging and press away from the way, like your character is preparing to jump (i.e. one arm reaching out, body and face turned towards jump)

Anyway, keep up the awesome work. This game is extremely promising. I love the visual style

Edit: oh, you added checkpoints. Awesome, another reason to play the demo again
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:53:46 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Mnemonic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »

Thanks christian!

About the taser, when you got it (at the top-right of the first level), you can use it at the back of bots (

).

and for checkpoints, they are not in the demo but will be in the full game.

CowMainia
Level 0

Cheese Burgers

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2013, 04:02:40 PM »

Oh well I don't own an X-Box but I have been thinking about getting one for the soul purpose of Grand Theft Auto V (the game looks so good its convincing me to buy a console for it  Cheesy  ) but if i do get one Ill be sure to try it out even though I'm shit on controllers. This game seriously does look great! Are you aiming for it to be on X_Box since you seem to have made the controls X-Box based?

LINK SPAM! YouTube::Google+::Twitter(coming soon)
Mnemonic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2013, 06:19:24 AM »

Hello !

CowMainia > Thanks, platformers are better played with a controller, that's why controls are thunked for an xbox360 gamepad. The game also works fine with virtual controls (touch screen).

I've been very busy theses times because of this :

That's it, Interference is on Greenlight and IndieGogo

f the IndieGogo Campaign succeeds, I will be able to focus 200% on the game development without thinking about anything else.
I will finish this game even if this crowdfunding campaign fails but without the necessary funds, the game will be either very short or it will only be available after several years :D You know, Indie game development and release dates... :D
It's up to you to decide if the game deserves more!

Thanks a lot for your support!

ink.inc
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2013, 07:33:54 AM »

problem: if you hold the down AND the right/left arrow while trying to drop from a ledge, the game will not let you drop. this feels too rigid to me.

guard aggro takes too long to reset, and they remain aggro'd even after you die (this forces the player to wait in the same spot for longer than they need to)

writing also needs work; the english is a little broken in places (also there are punctuation errors)

aside from that, really liking it!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:41:52 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2013, 10:01:36 AM »

backed! I wish you the best of luck  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic