Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:46:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow something that has design in it's name can be considered an art?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: How something that has design in it's name can be considered an art?  (Read 5656 times)
antoniodamala
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »

Do art really need to evoke emotion, then they only can be called "art"? Because it's certainly bug me that people keep saying that art has to have a meaning to be called art.
Nope. Sometimes art is just about aesthethics, form, colour, texture. And that's ok.

I don't buy it.  Whoever created the piece of art decided that whatever his/her subject is, even if it's just a texture, is interesting.  That's a value judgement right there.  Not only that, but in presenting it to others, he/she declares "this is art,"  which means they are making a statement about what they consider art.  Likewise anyone who puts out an executable and declares "this is a game" is giving an opinion on what games are or should be.

Yes but what he is talking about is emotions. Nobody is denying that a statement is being made, i'm just pointing out that the focus sometimes may not be to evoke emotion but other things.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2013, 10:29:53 AM »

I struggle to find the word for it, but I think 'emotions' comes closest to it. Maybe 'thought' is a suitable word too?

You can have really, really nice aesthetics, but if they hold no meaning, then it's not really art. Like for example, the default Windows XP background is a very beautiful photograph, but because it's the default background of every computer, it has lost any artistic appeal to most people.

Or there's a lot of beauty in the every day movement of curtains and dust, but are meaningless in the real world. Yet the exact same movements when put into a computer game are more meaningful and artistic.

Any attempt to bring 'art' into those things would try to instill emotions into it, like a poem or a photograph designed to highlight them.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »

mass reproduction, takes away meaning/feeling/emotion.  art that ages and shows the struggle of the artist through the use of material, brings out a certain authenticity / presence of the work.  Though there are artist that work with that in mind, completely removing themselves from their work, and mass reproduction as a means to reflect lack of meaning as a message like certain pop artists.  digital media seems to fall under that.  But digital media's strongest vehicle is stimulation and carrying someone through an experience, I don't know if you should be concerned with trying to capture presence.  I am inexperience so this could be bullshit.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »

Miyazaki and pixar is waiting for you outside, they have a gun and some torture device ...

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »

Miyazaki is definitely against torture, but I'm not.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic