Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:45:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookRat King [prototype]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Rat King [prototype]  (Read 18294 times)
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2008, 07:26:14 AM »

73 Rats multiply and exterminate first a single city and then all mankind. Increased size and intelligence.

Like Katamari Damacy but horrible. Drive your swarm of rats around a city and eat people.

Rat sprite:

Unlikely that I will actually finish/seriously attempt to finish this... but might as well clutter up the forum anyway.

UPDATE 19/10/08:
Made quick, dirty prototype:
http://isaacwilliams.net/uploads/ratking/proto01/

UPDATE 20/10/08:
Second prototype, with human eating:
http://isaacwilliams.net/uploads/ratking/proto02/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:23:25 AM by isaac » Logged

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:39:13 AM »

I love it. You'd better release something.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 07:52:54 AM »

Fuck rat kings so so goddamn creepy!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:02:29 PM »

Another tmnt game sweet.

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 12:40:49 AM »

Prototype of rat swarming. Played with a bunch of different methods, none of which I was very happy with. This method is pretty simple -- the rats just chase after the mouse, but can't get too close to each other:

http://isaacwilliams.net/uploads/ratking/proto01/

Click to add more rats. Please let me know how many rats it takes to make the framerate drop, so I can balance for people's setups. My year-old iMac can happily handle up to 175-200 rats, so I figure I'll keep the maximum around there.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 12:56:52 AM »

~150.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 12:59:56 AM »

My computer started to lag at around 215, and it went rapidly downhill from there.

Right now the rats look kind of uniform, not so much a swarm as a regimented army. If you could add a bit of randomness, say in how fast they walk or how far apart they stand, then it would probably look better. Still, it's already quite a fun prototype to mess around with. Just like the prototype of Buddy Base II. What's with that?

Oh, and the swarm kind of screws up if you drop lots of rats in the middle of it, but I'm guessing that won't be an issue in the final product because you can't just make rats whenever you feel like it...?

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 01:06:14 AM »

Started rapidly crapping out at around 180. Let me try it once more with Flash 10 installed (still using 9)
edit: Oddly enough it crapped out SOONER using Flash 10, at around 170. This suggests to me that the problem many not necessarily be with having too many rats, but possibly a bug that gets more likely to happen and slow things down the more rats are on the screen. Maybe something to look into.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:15:01 AM by Kobel » Logged

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 01:21:54 AM »

I'm on my crappy(er) computer right now and the fps starts to dip into the 20's at around seventy rats.

I can give a number from my better computer later (this one's mainly just for browsing).

Nice prototype though.  I like the almost gooey feel of the rat-blob.  I agree it could use a little more randomness from individual rats.  Like some of could maybe be not as "in tune" with the rest of the swarm and might take a second or so to realize that everyone's going that way now, or maybe when the swarm is at rest a couple might just sort of wander around in the general area of the swarm.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 02:16:01 AM »

First issues at 190 Rats, but still perfectly playable. Occasional dips to 28 fps.

Occasional problems at 210 Rats, but continues to be responsive. Constantly in the 20's.

Exponential decay from then on. 222 Rats ~4 fps.
Johan Peitz
Level 1

88 mph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 02:24:53 AM »

I'm getting around 100 - 120 rats before fps starts to fall (rapidly). It looks really cool with a lot of rats but as mentioned earlier it also looks a bit static. Maybe look into boids (not the best looking version bu you get the idea) to get more natural moving rat packs?

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 02:30:45 AM »

ha ha, i love it already!
the way the rats move feels good.

anyway, it started to slow down at around 220 rats, and finally became unplayable at around 250.
medieval
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 03:19:03 AM »

slowed down at 180, became unplayable at 190
awesty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 03:22:48 AM »

Frame rate dropped below 30 at 320 rates  Grin

increpare
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 05:06:56 AM »

from about 220 it occasionally dips below twenty, but only does so for extended periods at 250.
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 05:56:11 AM »

~400

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 06:22:22 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here's a new version, with less uniform rats (which look much better) and human eating. Just crash your rats into humans to reduce their health & eat them. The faster your rats are going, the more damage they do.

http://isaacwilliams.net/uploads/ratking/proto02/

At the moment you get a rat for every person you eat. I'm considering having a 'human flesh' resource that you can use to buy rats (and get more eldritch kinds), but it might be a bit counter to the game's point (driving a swarm around fast).

Maybe look into boids (not the best looking version bu you get the idea) to get more natural moving rat packs?

Boids was one of the flocking methods I tested before I settled on this simple method. It's kinda cool looking but kinda slow and almost impossible to guide with player input. They just want to do their own thing, instead of doing what the player wants.

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 11:07:12 AM »

For more Lovecraftian rat inspiration, try the story, The Rats in the Walls.  It was the first Lovecraft story written by the man himself that I read to completion.

There's a Wikipedia entry about it, too, for more details.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 11:52:02 AM »

The new version is much better as far as swarm behavior is concerned. Beer!

I've noticed though that it's rather hard to eat the humans when they're trapped in corners.  Perhaps you could add a secondary eating function that ticks a human's health down slowly when they're in contact with the rats?  That way if the swarm pounces on a human, they'll die quick, but if they're trapped and you can't get enough speed to ram them you can just swarm around them and nibble them to death.

Also, I guess my "good" computer isn't that much better than my crummy one when it comes to Flash, I still dip into the 20's at around 70 rats as far as fps is concerned.

I can't wait for the munching and screaming sound effects, and the blood, it'll add quite a bit to the game Wink
(That is, I assume there will be munching and screaming and blood...)

tweet tweet @j_younger
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 11:54:53 AM »

Ooh, I just had an idea as far as new rats spawning.  How about there are trash cans and sewer grates and stuff around the level, and when your swarm "levels up" the new rats spawn there and run to join the group?  Like they're heeding the call of the Rat God or whatever.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic