Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:05:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBoring Man - 2D Online Stickman Shooter (v0.1a)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Boring Man - 2D Online Stickman Shooter (v0.1a)  (Read 3291 times)
Spasman
Level 0

Oh.

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2013, 05:07:49 PM »

Wow! I haven't made a forum post about a game in a long time. Hello there!

I'm here to show you a hobby project of mine I've been doing in my spare time. It's a game called Boring Man, which is based off of a stupid game series I made in high school. (i wasn't a very creative high schooler)

Boring Man
Tactical Stickman Simulator
Download v0.1a

I thought it would be amusing to me to base a large project of mine off of that so here I am. Now for the game itself.

The game itself features over 20 weapons so far, a fluid movement and acrobatic system and what my friends tell me "very addictive gunplay". I'm not going to list them here, I'll let you try them out yourself! (Yes I'm lazy)

I am heavily inspired from other games, such as Soldat, TF2, Tribes and a bunch more.

So far it has one functional game mode, Capture the Flag. Pretty self explanatory, but it's a lot like Tribes on how the CTF mode works. There are base defenses such as turrets, shields and resupply points. Enemies can blow up your generator and disable all of your stuff. They can also blow up the turrets or resupply, and it will take an amount of time to repair themselves.

The game's bots is probably my best work. They are just as deadly, if not more, as regular players and have very decent waypointing capabilities. They can cap the flag, return their own, defend it, defend and repair the generator, destroy the enemy's generator, or maybe just grab a sniper rifle and be a total douche with it.

I draw most of the graphics myself, and sometimes I get help from a friend of mine. So they are not definitely the strong point. I try to use the lighting engine I have to make the worlds more pretty but thats up to perspective.

The game will also feature some single player stuff, like a little campaign with it's own (badly) written plot, and other single player modes I'll try to keep secret.

The game's fluids movement allow your character to walljump, roll around, and double jump. Double jumping lets you get to higher places and long gaps, but distracts your character from shooting. Walljumping is a bit harder then some other games like super meat boy or mega man, but once you master it, you'll be a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.

But be wary, the heavier weapons you carry, the more slower you move. And when a threshold of weight is reached, you will no longer be able to use most of your acrobatic moves.

The maps are designed in a way where weighed down players can still make it to the objective, and players with light weight and decent walljumping skills can find different routes and vantage points.

As for network functionality, the game uses the GM extension HTTP DLL 2, which I think is used by the guys who made Gang Garrison 2, if not an ancestor of what they use, 39dll.

HTTP DLL 2 lets GM have access to TCP/UDP sockets, which GM originally doesn't have the ability to use.

I have a working master server list software ready to go as soon as I find a place to run it, which will allow the game to have a server list.

Weapons are selected through a load out screen in-between lives. You can select 2 weapons to carry and a grenade type. There are various different grenade types, such as the EMP grenade which can stun players and temporarily disable turrets. Or the healing grenade, which can gradually heal a group of players while also concealing them in green smoke.

I have also made weapon challenges in Single Player mode. It will rank you based on how many targets you get plus how fast you did it. Rank S is the highest you can get, which is obtained by getting all the targets and reaching the finish under a certain time.

So yeah! That's the basics of it. Right now I'm looking for weapon ideas, bugs, people to test for server lag (and computer lag), and underpowered or overpowered weapons.

You can download the very first alpha I have released here:
Download v0.1a

And when you're done playing, fill out this survey!

You can also come hang out with me on IRC.
irc.slashnet.org
#boringman

Problems:

This is a list of problems I am aware of and am working on. This is my very first networking online game, so go easy on me. I had no idea delta timing would be a thing when I first started working on it.

- Turns out for a GM game, it's quite demanding. Some folks might have some fps issues, and I think it has something to do with the parallaxing backgrounds. Next update will let you turn them off, while I figure out a way to optimize them

- I have not tested this game much with a lot of people on one server. Currently there is no setting for max players, so technically you could have an infinite number of people join. Bots may cause some fps and network lag, so I recommend leaving them out for more populated servers.

- There is no working server list function yet, as I have no server other then my own computer to run it from. If you'd like (and i trust you) I can send you the master list software and run it for me. Players can then edit the master list IP under bm_settings.ini to connect to it.

- There is no "delta timing" yet. As in, the lower your fps is, the more of a disadvantage you'll be against others with higher fps (slower movement, slower reload and fire rate). I am working on it, but don't expect it any time soon. Right now I will focus on letting you disable graphics options for fps boosts for next update while I work on it figuring out delta timing.

Technical Junk:

- The bm_settings.ini offers you some extra options, I don't have a readme file set up so you'll have to ask me which does what. Basically, for each line, use the values "ON" and "OFF" to switch things on and off. Switching Dedicated to ON will allow you to host a server in dedicated mode, which mutes the game, undraws a lot of stuff but still lets you chat on the server/enter console commands.

- Speaking of consoles commands, type /help in the chat to list them.

- If you want to host games, I recommend forwarding your ports. The ports needing forwarding are 7777, 7778, 7779. They should all be forwarded both on UDP/TCP. Domain names also work as IP addresses for joining.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:34:26 AM by Spasman » Logged
Flatgub
Level 0

My existence is questionable at best

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »

Hey!
I love this!  Kiss
The acrobatics are really fluid and go well with the fast paced combat.
The AI is almost perfect, but it did run into a couple of situations where they with get stuck on the top of a ladder and just spaz around.

I do have some criticisms though...

The bullets go a bit slow, and their gravity is way to strong, they fall to the ground too quickly after being shot.
There needs to be spawn protection, as i tend to be killed while selecting weapons.
Also the arrow is a bit to long, it kind of looks like a black string.

But other than that, its a really good game, and I'd like to see it expand.
Good Job  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:12:24 AM by Flatgub » Logged

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:33:45 AM »

i only watched the video. i had a hard time seeing what was in the foreground and what was actually background. maybe give the foreground elements a black outline, or work with more contrast.

Spasman
Level 0

Oh.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:30:02 AM »

Woah hey replies!

Flatgub: What was your FPS at? (listed in the upper right). I haven't implemented delta timing at all, so if you had low FPS your bullets would indeed go slower.

I'm really bad at graphics, programming really is the best I can do. I'll play around with the tile graphics to make it look less confusing.
Flatgub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:46:41 AM »

Flatgub: What was your FPS at? (listed in the upper right). I haven't implemented delta timing at all, so if you had low FPS your bullets would indeed go slower.

My FPS ranges from 52 to 59, so its pretty fast... Giggle

also, on an unrelated note, am I the only one that thinks that this looks like a llama  Waaagh!

I'm really bad at graphics, programming really is the best I can do.
Huh? wat... Are you kidding, those graphics are awesome. none of my 'Programmer graphics' look that good.

Hendrix06
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 06:51:33 AM »

Only watched the video so far but the combat and movement looks quite fluid and fast paced which works well for this type of game.

i only watched the video. i had a hard time seeing what was in the foreground and what was actually background. maybe give the foreground elements a black outline, or work with more contrast.

I agree that its somewhat hard at times to pick out the action from the background and perhaps more contrast between the layers or a way for the PCs to stand out a bit more would help. It could also just be the stickman aesthetic but I can imagine this game would look fantastic with some time spent on the artwork since the movement and fluidity is there.

Will give it a download and try it out to see how it plays. I can appreciate the work that goes into trying to set up networking in GM as it can be quite the chore. I have my own failed past attempts to back this up.

Keep up the good work so far.  Beer!

Spasman
Level 0

Oh.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »

My FPS ranges from 52 to 59, so its pretty fast... Giggle

also, on an unrelated note, am I the only one that thinks that this looks like a llama  Waaagh!

Huh? wat... Are you kidding, those graphics are awesome. none of my 'Programmer graphics' look that good.

Thanks :3 I do try my hardest and I get a little help from a friend too. I guess you really do think the bullets are too slow, thats a pretty okay fps rate.

The thing is I'd like the bullets to be somewhat a little dodge-able, plus GM's collision is a little wonky and if things go too fast they can pass right through collisions so I have to be careful there too.

I agree that its somewhat hard at times to pick out the action from the background and perhaps more contrast between the layers or a way for the PCs to stand out a bit more would help. It could also just be the stickman aesthetic but I can imagine this game would look fantastic with some time spent on the artwork since the movement and fluidity is there.

would contrast mean the backgrounds should be darker?

Believe me, if I were to draw something else it would end up looking embarrassingly bad. I can't draw, and I can't animate even worse.

Will give it a download and try it out to see how it plays. I can appreciate the work that goes into trying to set up networking in GM as it can be quite the chore. I have my own failed past attempts to back this up.

It's gotten a lot better since that dude came out with Http Dll 2, which this game is using. GM:S also has it's own TCP/UDP wrap now, not sure if it's any good though since I'm just using 8.1 for now.

Ok, since this topic is seeing more activity I'll try to update more, lately I've been working on mostly single player stuff, and I realized a lot of the network code would be too hard to implement, so I'm just gonna keep that single player for now, and maybe at a later time design a set of co-op missions that could also focus having co-op features (like going separate routes or something)

I have about.. 5 bosses mostly done now? Here's a screen of one of them, laugh at my beautiful art.

This screenshot is a little misleading though, as this isn't a wise way to attack the tank, there are some platforms in the area you're suppose to hide on and kind of use guerilla warfare against the tank, as it can blow you to pieces.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:30:27 PM by Spasman » Logged
Flatgub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 02:37:14 AM »

Looks Good! Cant wait for playable demo!  Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic