Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:19:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat should I expect to pay for graphics
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What should I expect to pay for graphics  (Read 3962 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 05:49:42 AM »

Sorry to hear that your business is in dire straits, but I don't see anything in what you've written about [] that makes them directly responsible for your situation. You did not "co-develop" their games, you were hired on a freelance basis to create graphics. As far as I understand, you agreed to be paid a specific amount of money for that job, and you were. If you didn't have a contract that stipulated that you were entitled to a share of that profit, you were not entitled to a share of that profit -- neither legally nor morally. The developer carried the risk on these projects. You were guaranteed payment, he was not. If the games had failed, would you have paid back what you'd been paid? Of course not.

Don't try to turn this into some larger issue when all that seems to be going on is you running into problems with your business and having soured your relationship with clients.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:36:46 PM by John Sandoval » Logged

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
heavycat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »

So if I read that right, you're a middle-man skimming the profit of the artists' work and then blaming your client

Interesting use of the phrase "middle-man" and "skimming."  I presume you accuse all management of "skimming" unless 100% of their gross goes to the line item of your choice, correct? 

I built the studio, trained the artists, set up a business framework to make it possible for them to produce 3000 color illustrations (that's ten a day for a solid year), and then delivered those illustrations in a form that allowed our client to release four retail games (one a hit) and cash checks for a year.

But if I pay rent, phone bill, bandwidth bill, buy equipment or hire an accountant I'm the scamming bastard, right?

I thought the one redeeming quality of such an arrangement was that the artist would be shielded from such financial problems.

If any of my artists had to deal with the kind of financial problems I shield them from on a daily basis they would move to the Mongolian tundra and take up turnip farming.

that makes them directly responsible for your situation.

Never said anyone was directly responsible for anything.

You did not "co-develop" their games, you were hired on a freelance basis to create graphics.

Really?  You're going to lecture me on what we did now?  We did the graphics, they did the programming.  If you want to call it a 1961 Plymouth, that's fine.  Doesn't change the fact it's called "co-developing the games."

you were not entitled to a share of that profit

Never said we were.

Don't try to turn this into some larger issue

There is a larger issue here, and if you want to try and shout us down, that's up to you.  But there is a larger issue here, and we're going to make sure people know about it.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 03:36:18 PM »

Seems the larger issue, was your low rates. 19 dollars per piece?

Most experienced artists won't go as low as 20/hr.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 11:44:27 PM »

that makes them directly responsible for your situation.

Never said anyone was directly responsible for anything.

Yet you go to great lengths to complain about them.

You did not "co-develop" their games, you were hired on a freelance basis to create graphics.

Really?  You're going to lecture me on what we did now?  We did the graphics, they did the programming.  If you want to call it a 1961 Plymouth, that's fine.  Doesn't change the fact it's called "co-developing the games."

You were hired on a freelance basis to do graphics. You were in no way, shape or meaning of the word co-developers. This is you twisting a word to make it seem like you had a greater stake in the games than you did.

you were not entitled to a share of that profit

Never said we were.

Since our former client made a million dollars selling our work, we're going to raise a million dollars

This is you twisting words to make it seem like you had a greater stake in the games than you did. Again! Fuck off.

Don't try to turn this into some larger issue

There is a larger issue here, and if you want to try and shout us down, that's up to you.  But there is a larger issue here, and we're going to make sure people know about it.

Thankfully, most people do know about the issue here: you and your business.

MODS: This is clearly an attempt to scam a few bucks out of unknowing individuals before closing up shop entirely. I suggest droming the thread.

EDIT: More threads damning this studio (and the studio acting like the victim, twisting the story and blaming the client -- I'm seeing a pattern here):

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,176943.0.html
http://www.talkarcades.com/talk-arcades/19943-its-time-you-heard-what-you-dont-want-hear.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:13:43 AM by Christian Knudsen » Logged

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Ant
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 12:38:12 AM »

http://forum.deviantart.com/art/general/1966004/
ink.inc
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 01:03:49 AM »

Banned and locked.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic