Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:40:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioHarsh Criticism Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Harsh Criticism Thread  (Read 19413 times)
ZBW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »

Totally new to the Tig Forums and looking for criticism on my work. Lay it on me. I want to improve.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-mitchell-28/malin-medaea-by-the-sea
Seanders
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2013, 06:58:25 AM »

This is my first post on this forum, and this thread really caught my eye.  I've been working with a friend for that last two years on his gaming projects, but I feel like I need to start challenging myself more.  The game we are currently working on is similar to Dig Dug but with Minecraft elements to it.  This particular track was created after my friend said he wanted something with an Air theme.  Please let me know what you think and don't hold back.  My goal is to improve!

https://soundcloud.com/damzigy/air

Thank you!
MegaZoneEX
Level 0

Mega is ME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »

i would really like some feeback of my tracks
https://soundcloud.com/megazoneex/sets/s-8th-b-d
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »

Alright. I regard myself as fairly inexperienced, but giving critique grows with experience too, so why not?

Totally new to the Tig Forums and looking for criticism on my work. Lay it on me. I want to improve.

The chords in this work are great, man. This is a beautiful piece. I absolutely loved the fading synths on the side to accompany the lead. One thing I notice is the softness of the accompaniment, yet the lead (when ending held phrases), doesn't taper. It stops abruptly. I would add the fading effect you have in the other parts to the lead as well.

One other thing I would possibly try is shifts in dynamics. When I think of the sea, I think of a gradual increase and decrease in volume, like swells.

Honestly, I don't think that this piece needs it, but I am curious as to how it would effect the atmosphere.

Oh, I got a chance to hear a track by Funk Fiction play.

D.O.P.E.

Definitely checking more of that cat out.

--
This is my first post on this forum, and this thread really caught my eye.  I've been working with a friend for that last two years on his gaming projects, but I feel like I need to start challenging myself more.  The game we are currently working on is similar to Dig Dug but with Minecraft elements to it.  This particular track was created after my friend said he wanted something with an Air theme.  Please let me know what you think and don't hold back.  My goal is to improve!

https://soundcloud.com/damzigy/air

Thank you!

The composition of this is very fitting (especially the ending). It emits a light-hearted and adventurous feel which, based on the level's description, fits perfectly!

One thing that I would consider is bring in (turning up in volume) the supportive instruments. The violin births the piece, and you create a very interesting backdrop, but it is difficult to hear.
Keep it soft, but then gradually crescendo that part? I mean, there are a ton of things you could do, leading up to 00:51 - 00:52 (which I assume is the high point of the piece).

I think manipulating dynamics would make this piece come a live. Rises and falls. That, and perhaps a bit more work with balancing and mixing (something I also struggle with).

--
i would really like some feeback of my tracks
https://soundcloud.com/megazoneex/sets/s-8th-b-d

The intro of this sounds like a sick 8-bit hiphop beat in the works.

What I instantly noticed were the kick and the noise frequencies (along with high-hats). Basically, the percussion. They seem a bit dry (the high-hat for one), and the noise seems to be a bit overpowering.

I would perhaps focus on manipulating the drum samples a bit more (reverb, eq'ing), to try and get a more open sound, similar to (but not exactly like) your 8-bit samples. The drums feel out of place. This is a review of the first track (Dark Ruins), but upon listening to a few others, it seems that the same dry, percussive sound still persists.

Another thing I would suggest is varying the samples you use, and the 8-bit timbres you create. Though with 8-bit the timbrel selection seems limited, you can do so much. Much of the tracks sound exactly the same. You can take different approaches to how you compose. For Mystical Forest, you could try only using the square wave, accompanied by pads (heck, you could take the hits you have, manipulate those, and come out with a very eerie and ominous styled pad). Try differentiating your approach a bit to make each track unique!

Impossible-Bonus is probably the best piece so far (in regards to balance), but the percussion still needs work.

ZBW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »

The chords in this work are great, man. This is a beautiful piece. I absolutely loved the fading synths on the side to accompany the lead. One thing I notice is the softness of the accompaniment, yet the lead (when ending held phrases), doesn't taper. It stops abruptly. I would add the fading effect you have in the other parts to the lead as well.

One other thing I would possibly try is shifts in dynamics. When I think of the sea, I think of a gradual increase and decrease in volume, like swells.

Honestly, I don't think that this piece needs it, but I am curious as to how it would effect the atmosphere.

Thanks for the input... Even just having an extra set of ears gives a lot of perspective on these things.

The dynamic thing... Listening back yeah, now I'm noticing what you mean. It's not something I thought about before, especially with the tapering. I'm an acoustic instrumentalist and composer by trade, so working with a DAW is sort of new territory for me. I think even if I didn't increase the note length values and just added a slight decay to the melody so that it actually sounds like the way a real breath-controlled instrument would (derp), that would fix the abruptness of it. I will have to try toying with the dynamics more, per your suggestion.

And yes. Funk Fiction is awesome. Last I heard he was working on a project related to a remake (or something?) of a Sonic game.
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »

Song I did a little while back. I'm not 100% satisfied with the mix, but I think it's partially due to the sample library. It's sonically lacking compared to newer samples on the marke, but anywhoo. It builds over time...critique on the mix, orchestration, and arranging welcomed for those who have an ear for it. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/petergunder/1-adventures-at-castle

Peter

Harp is a bit present in the mix at one point. That's about all I've got.  Compositionally I thought it was pretty well on point.  I had a problem with a few parts in the spiccato strings(or staccato... whichever) where they sounded a bit mechanical... but overall I don't feel there is much at all to change. :p

So since I'm at a loss here... GOD THIS MUSIC SUCKS BALLS(not really).

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »

Here is my latest SNES endeavor.  I'm going for a very Metroid kind of feel with some DK mixed in. 

https://soundcloud.com/matt-pirtle/monolith

Around 32 seconds in you have some... bass thing that has a modulator of sorts on it(I'm guessing anyway), but it...really is annoying and takes away from the rest of the track.  The opening part(that continues on the whole song) was nice but the hummmmmmmmm.... was a bit thick to start with until the other brighter synth comes in to add in more "color".  I think just putting a tad bit of EQ on the hummmmmmm parts to kick the hummmmmm back a bit and totally removing the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on the bass part and you'd have a rather well mixed chill track.  Sounds unfinished too... extending it maybe? 

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »

The alternating back and forth between two chords thing gets old by the time you finally put some variety in there around a minute into the track... and then the song stops... then starts over. Not sure what the context of the track is used for but if it's intended to be a loop I would do more to tie the end into the beginning as oppose to just stopping it for a second.  Your balance of the parts, the mixing, is superb... but your lack of variation in the chords is a bit disappointing in respect.  It's also only a 1 minute track before it loops so hearing it on repeat might make it more redundant hearing those two chords over and over, only for them to change for roughly 5 seconds before starting back over again.

fishlicka
Level 0

(ง'̀-'́)ง

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2013, 11:58:34 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/fishlicka/swordzy-menu-music

New to music making in general, so please destroy me haha

Juice Galaxy ragdoll-physics rpg where you bop and eat monsters and fly.

Instagram ~ Itch.io
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2013, 07:15:52 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/fishlicka/swordzy-menu-music

New to music making in general, so please destroy me haha

Cool vibe so far!

This sounds like a voice or synth preset from FL. Am I right? I remember using something VERY similar to it on some of my earlier (well hidden) tracks. I really dig what you have going (with the groove, in conjunction with the voices). That being said, I would try processing both the synth vocals and the drums a bit more. Play with flanger, phaser, reverb, anything really. For the drums, they still feel a little stagnant (a tad dry and muffled). I would try bringing that more to the front of the piece (if that makes sense). Try processing it a bit more, or even changing the bass and snare samples, though I feel that it adds a fairly solid thump as is.

As for continuation, try adding some synths in there, or even adding a different timbre pad (or anything!) to mimic the note direction of the vocals. Or you could add more variation (and presence) to the glitch like areas (a few that appear in the breaks in the vocals and near the end). I really dig the glitches. Not sure if those are intentional (due to the breaks in the vocals changing notes), but I find it interesting.

That's all I have to offer in regards to what you have posted currently. Definitely want to hear more of this, though. Eager to see where you take it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:06:31 AM by M4uesviecr » Logged

Diamond16
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2013, 05:54:43 AM »

Hey everyone,

What a great thread! I've been listening to some of the older tracks and there are certainly some very talented people on here.

This is a track that I completed for a point and click adventure game.  I've recently purchased Garritan Personal Orchestra so I have just redone the track using those samples.

I'm fairly happy with the composition but I know that the production side of things is my weakness and I would appreciate any guidance or general tips to improve this.

Saying that, fire away!  Wizard

http://www.reverbnation.com/dianewebster/song/18158392-rpg-triumphant-overture

bonixmusic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2013, 10:19:04 PM »

Song I did a little while back. I'm not 100% satisfied with the mix, but I think it's partially due to the sample library. It's sonically lacking compared to newer samples on the marke, but anywhoo. It builds over time...critique on the mix, orchestration, and arranging welcomed for those who have an ear for it. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/petergunder/1-adventures-at-castle

Peter

Harp is a bit present in the mix at one point. That's about all I've got.  Compositionally I thought it was pretty well on point.  I had a problem with a few parts in the spiccato strings(or staccato... whichever) where they sounded a bit mechanical... but overall I don't feel there is much at all to change. :p

So since I'm at a loss here... GOD THIS MUSIC SUCKS BALLS(not really).

Thanks for the feedback! Although this song is officially 'done' unless commissioned for a big license agreement, I'll keep what you said in mind for future projects.
bonixmusic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »

Hey everyone,

What a great thread! I've been listening to some of the older tracks and there are certainly some very talented people on here.

This is a track that I completed for a point and click adventure game.  I've recently purchased Garritan Personal Orchestra so I have just redone the track using those samples.

I'm fairly happy with the composition but I know that the production side of things is my weakness and I would appreciate any guidance or general tips to improve this.

Saying that, fire away!  Wizard

http://www.reverbnation.com/dianewebster/song/18158392-rpg-triumphant-overture

Hi Diane. You really do have a good ear for music/composition. I didn't read your bio or any info on you but it sounds like either a) you've studied music or b) you've listened very carefully to film and video game scores. I like that you have variety in most of your tracks and the song changes overtime. It's not changing for the sake of just changing though, it's actually musical. Nice harmonies and I like some of the unusual (unexpected) chord progressions. Some of your songs have more of a film like flow to them in my opinion, which I like!

Here's a couple of suggestions I have. First song was a great example of what you're capable of, but I'd recommend considering more percussions towards the first part of the song. I think that would give it a bigger sound and more appropriate to support the rest of the orchestra. Second suggestion, spend more time editing if your DAW allows for it. I've been fortunate enough to spend time around some LA film composers and was able to gleam a bit from them. One thing that bothered me about my workflow was the amount of time I was spending on editing (cleaning up) my midi tracks. I found that the time I spent editing was very normal for professionals. Of course, if you're scoring for big budget films you have someone else go in and do this for you!..The time spent on editing is often what makes the difference between great sounding cues to mediocre. I understand you're working with a subpar sound library so editing will only do so much for you, but once you get better samples I'd recommend investing in the time in the editing process. I hear some great things in your music and I think your compositions deserve better samples once you can get your hands on em! Thanks for sharing your music w/ us!
bonixmusic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2013, 11:12:21 PM »

Did a sort of remixing of an older piece as I am currently trying to get my production and mixing skills slightly better. I'd really appreciate any tips on how to get it sounding better (I'm working my way through Dvorin's "Logic Pro 9 Advanced Music production" to try and get better, but I'm aware criticism of your own work can teach you so much more).

https://soundcloud.com/zoecoleman/alphabet-project-k-remastered

Don't forget to let your instrument's 'breathe', especially ones that naturally need to (woodwinds). Smiley Good stuff though!
Diamond16
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2013, 02:41:15 AM »

Hi Diane. You really do have a good ear for music/composition. I didn't read your bio or any info on you but it sounds like either a) you've studied music or b) you've listened very carefully to film and video game scores. I like that you have variety in most of your tracks and the song changes overtime. It's not changing for the sake of just changing though, it's actually musical. Nice harmonies and I like some of the unusual (unexpected) chord progressions. Some of your songs have more of a film like flow to them in my opinion, which I like!

Here's a couple of suggestions I have. First song was a great example of what you're capable of, but I'd recommend considering more percussions towards the first part of the song. I think that would give it a bigger sound and more appropriate to support the rest of the orchestra. Second suggestion, spend more time editing if your DAW allows for it. I've been fortunate enough to spend time around some LA film composers and was able to gleam a bit from them. One thing that bothered me about my workflow was the amount of time I was spending on editing (cleaning up) my midi tracks. I found that the time I spent editing was very normal for professionals. Of course, if you're scoring for big budget films you have someone else go in and do this for you!..The time spent on editing is often what makes the difference between great sounding cues to mediocre. I understand you're working with a subpar sound library so editing will only do so much for you, but once you get better samples I'd recommend investing in the time in the editing process. I hear some great things in your music and I think your compositions deserve better samples once you can get your hands on em! Thanks for sharing your music w/ us!

Thanks a lot for the feedback.  Percussion is definitely something I need to incorporate more into my work.

I'm going to be revising my existing compositions in the coming weeks to improve the sound quality so watch this space Smiley

mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2013, 03:08:35 AM »

Hi! got new one, but this time ain't really orchestra. It's a work in progress but it's all there for the short version (loop). Hit me hard please. No No NO

https://soundcloud.com/mychiilist/infinite-gears-main-theme-wip
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2013, 04:09:50 AM »

Hey guys! I'm currently working on an electronic battle theme and would really appreciate some solid feedback for it thus far:

Kimiko

Guitarmatt21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2013, 12:42:15 AM »

This is my first post in TIG after creeping on and on for so many years...

More importantly here is a track I made using Reason 5, mastered in Reaper: https://soundcloud.com/guitarmatt21/spezz

Inspired a bit by Disasterpeace and the kind of music he makes. All instruments and sounds I created myself, using Thor because it rocks. I need critique mostly on mixing (any other critique is welcome of course), as I'm still pretty new to the mixing and mastering process. I tinkered with some stereo here as well so any advice there would also be welcome.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to listen and give advice, I need a fresh set of ears on this since I've been listening to it the past 2 days.

Edit: Uploaded a new version because the other one had an annoying hi hat

-Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:40:06 AM by Guitarmatt21 » Logged

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2013, 05:23:49 PM »

Hey guys! I'm currently working on an electronic battle theme and would really appreciate some solid feedback for it thus far:

Kimiko
This is really cool, I love the jazziness, especially the saxophone. The drums lack personality, to my taste, but I like the song. The transition at 1:25 seems like it could be a lot better to me, though. It's sudden and kind of awkward. Although I really like where it goes, with the piano and stuff.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »

Kimiko
This is really cool, I love the jazziness, especially the saxophone. The drums lack personality, to my taste, but I like the song. The transition at 1:25 seems like it could be a lot better to me, though. It's sudden and kind of awkward. Although I really like where it goes, with the piano and stuff.

Hey man, thanks for the feedback! Could you possibly elaborate on the drums a bit? I think for me, I was trying to get a somewhat heavy sound, though I don't think I got what I wanted.

Also, I know what you mean about the transition. I had a bit of trouble at that particular spot - I wasn't too sure about how to switch over.

I've gone ahead and submitted the track to my client, but if the transition is that off, I'd probably go back through and make something more coherent.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic