Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:39:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioHarsh Criticism Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: Harsh Criticism Thread  (Read 19393 times)
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »

Well, regarding the drums, I guess what I mean is I prefer drums that sound either totally real or definitely fake, whereas these are glossy but obviously fake, which I find to have a bit of an uncanny valley effect. This is just a matter of taste though.

And yeah, the transition doesn't kill the track or anything but it is noticeably awkward. You might just try a much more abrupt transition, like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6497403/ex1.mp3

Maybe spice it up with a synth swell or aggressive drum fill just before the switch. I dunno, just a thought.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »

Well, regarding the drums, I guess what I mean is I prefer drums that sound either totally real or definitely fake, whereas these are glossy but obviously fake, which I find to have a bit of an uncanny valley effect. This is just a matter of taste though.

And yeah, the transition doesn't kill the track or anything but it is noticeably awkward. You might just try a much more abrupt transition, like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6497403/ex1.mp3

Maybe spice it up with a synth swell or aggressive drum fill just before the switch. I dunno, just a thought.

I see what you mean. No, thanks for your input! It gives me things to consider when I'm editing this piece, or working on another one.

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »

I really need to come up with an alternative method for keeping track of these...right now it's so disjointed I have a hard time remembering which page I was last listening to, and then have to respond to 5+ ones at a time in multiple posts... hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

New idea... open to suggestions too.

Email me the info for your track(you can post it here too if you'd like) and then I will add it to my "queue"(spreadsheet) with the link, title, description, etc... and then I will just post once with multiple tracks in one post instead of trying to keep track in this thread.  Unless of course someone else has an idea?  If someone was willing to create a submission form by way of the internet I'd be willing to host it on my website.  Could just have it email me the submissions from that form or even store them on a separate page until they are marked as "Reviewed" or whatever.

But yeah... open to suggestions.  I can make a form submission thing myself eventually  but only to email me direct.  For the other option it would require more skill with MySQL, and I'm not the greatest at database queries. :p

ssb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »

I'll just go ahead and butt in here.

https://soundcloud.com/iamssb/a-new-theme

This is a song I 'finished' a few days ago, which basically means I got tired of working on it, but I'd like to make it better if possible!
Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2013, 11:39:51 AM »

I really need to come up with an alternative method for keeping track of these...right now it's so disjointed I have a hard time remembering which page I was last listening to, and then have to respond to 5+ ones at a time in multiple posts... hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

New idea... open to suggestions too.

Email me the info for your track(you can post it here too if you'd like) and then I will add it to my "queue"(spreadsheet) with the link, title, description, etc... and then I will just post once with multiple tracks in one post instead of trying to keep track in this thread.  Unless of course someone else has an idea?  If someone was willing to create a submission form by way of the internet I'd be willing to host it on my website.  Could just have it email me the submissions from that form or even store them on a separate page until they are marked as "Reviewed" or whatever.

But yeah... open to suggestions.  I can make a form submission thing myself eventually  but only to email me direct.  For the other option it would require more skill with MySQL, and I'm not the greatest at database queries. :p

Your idea implies that you will do a new post with every 4 or 5 tracks that were submitted to you right?

Maybe it's much better, because it would be much ordered and easy to follow.

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »

Yeah... right now it's quite a bit disorganized and hard for me to keep track of since I'm only checking in once every other week ... sometimes only once a month(busy guy...).  It's seldom I have time to really just sit down and listen to the tracks over and over and really analyze what's going on. :p

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »

This is my first post in TIG after creeping on and on for so many years...

More importantly here is a track I made using Reason 5, mastered in Reaper: https://soundcloud.com/guitarmatt21/spezz

Inspired a bit by Disasterpeace and the kind of music he makes. All instruments and sounds I created myself, using Thor because it rocks. I need critique mostly on mixing (any other critique is welcome of course), as I'm still pretty new to the mixing and mastering process. I tinkered with some stereo here as well so any advice there would also be welcome.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to listen and give advice, I need a fresh set of ears on this since I've been listening to it the past 2 days.

Edit: Uploaded a new version because the other one had an annoying hi hat

-Cheers!

Hey Matt. Have you listened to this in mono recently? I think you'd benefit from summing to mono, then taking a precise EQ and accentuating the parts of each instrument you want heard, and cutting the same regions in the other instruments. Just by a couple db. It'll help each line stand out more, and as of now it sounds great in stereo, but the spectrum gets crowded if you turn your head.

I think the mix is working against the melodies in this way. At first my impression was that the tune lacked a clear melody, but it actually doesn't; it's just often buried. Use mixing techniques to make whatever the melody instrument is cut through some more. Automate your faders, high-pass the melody instrument higher than you might otherwise, increase the attack on the lead, make subtle but wide cuts in the ~3kHz area of the background instruments. These are all just suggestions, see what works for ya. Fader automation is what I think would help you most.

Also I think you'd benefit from writing a new bass line at 2:40. This tune has seriously awesome vibe, so I think you're doing yourself a disservice with some of the lesser improvised melodies in there.

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2013, 12:51:33 PM »

http://etaby.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-a-frozen-cloud

This is two years old, so have at.

It'd be interesting to see what I have already started doing differently, and what problems I haven't realized I still have.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Guitarmatt21
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »

This is my first post in TIG after creeping on and on for so many years...

More importantly here is a track I made using Reason 5, mastered in Reaper: https://soundcloud.com/guitarmatt21/spezz

Inspired a bit by Disasterpeace and the kind of music he makes. All instruments and sounds I created myself, using Thor because it rocks. I need critique mostly on mixing (any other critique is welcome of course), as I'm still pretty new to the mixing and mastering process. I tinkered with some stereo here as well so any advice there would also be welcome.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to listen and give advice, I need a fresh set of ears on this since I've been listening to it the past 2 days.

Edit: Uploaded a new version because the other one had an annoying hi hat

-Cheers!

Hey Matt. Have you listened to this in mono recently? I think you'd benefit from summing to mono, then taking a precise EQ and accentuating the parts of each instrument you want heard, and cutting the same regions in the other instruments. Just by a couple db. It'll help each line stand out more, and as of now it sounds great in stereo, but the spectrum gets crowded if you turn your head.

I think the mix is working against the melodies in this way. At first my impression was that the tune lacked a clear melody, but it actually doesn't; it's just often buried. Use mixing techniques to make whatever the melody instrument is cut through some more. Automate your faders, high-pass the melody instrument higher than you might otherwise, increase the attack on the lead, make subtle but wide cuts in the ~3kHz area of the background instruments. These are all just suggestions, see what works for ya. Fader automation is what I think would help you most.

Also I think you'd benefit from writing a new bass line at 2:40. This tune has seriously awesome vibe, so I think you're doing yourself a disservice with some of the lesser improvised melodies in there.

Sorry for the giant quote thing I'm on my phone haha. I usually try to make cuts at key frequencies and etc., but I usually do that after I've panned. Now that I think about it I guess that's pretty silly. Should I essentially have the whole thing eq'd and mixed before I do any panning in a track? As for the bassline it's the same as the one earlier in the song, should I change both of them to something with a little more movement? Thanks a bunch for the critique

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »

Should I essentially have the whole thing eq'd and mixed before I do any panning in a track?
Probably. It resolves a lot of issues with non-headphone listening; even if sounds are in opposite channels, they can compete with each other when played on speakers.

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2013, 10:09:29 AM »

You don't need to, but it's a good habit. Give it a shot next time you're mixing and see if it works for ya.

A new bass line at 2:40 is just compositional intuition on my part. Take that for whatever that's worth.

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »

So I just finished this heavy metal tune for an upcoming freeware game, think it's the first thing I've ever put out that uses no MIDI instruments. Real/triggered drums! Took a ton of effort so I'd love to hear what I did wrong:

https://soundcloud.com/audiosprite/dudebro-ii-ibuprofen-1

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »

i really want some feedback. it's not video gam music mind you.

the track doesn't have an intro yet but i want to know what you guys think. oh, and i forgot that redundant synth line over the chorus part.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46477897/muzik/beat61_3.mp3

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »

So I just finished this heavy metal tune for an upcoming freeware game, think it's the first thing I've ever put out that uses no MIDI instruments. Real/triggered drums! Took a ton of effort so I'd love to hear what I did wrong:

This is a cool tune but the guitar and drum sounds don't seem quite right for this style of music. The drum kit almost sounds jazzy or something, but the song seems to call for something a bit more propulsive. The guitars seem a little bit thin and tame; they don't cut quite like they should.

That said, it doesn't sound bad at all, and I like the guitar melodies a lot.

RayWonder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »

i really want some feedback. it's not video gam music mind you.

the track doesn't have an intro yet but i want to know what you guys think. oh, and i forgot that redundant synth line over the chorus part.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46477897/muzik/beat61_3.mp3

Oh cool, Hip Hop. This is pretty much my area of expertise.

I like the overall feel, and i'm digging the Geniune sample. Now for the critic.

The biggest quarrel I have with this track is the generic sounding piano later in the track. It doesn't have that vibe to get you into the sample. Maybe try not having a full on piano stab, as it is more alarming at the moment than it is jazzy or RnBish (for lack of a better word.) Also, maybe offset the notes a bit to give a roll to it.

That snare roll at 1:00 is very overused, and to be frank, it sounds corny. I'm not against using snare rolls as a transition, just try to make it feel more fluid. I know it's easy just to throw a snare roll together and call it a day, but making a distinguished roll goes a long way.

The very high pitched choir melody during the verse is not up to par, if it were me making the track I would've scraped that part. I would just go through those again and make them on point. No real advice on what to do with them, as that's up to you.

Hope I helped a bit.    Toast Left

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2013, 04:49:36 AM »

Hey, I would be happy if you guys can comment about this track:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqynd43b6oxza6r/Sky%20Knight%204%20-%20It%27s%20the%20Jungle%2C%20Baby%21.wav

It's a fast pace android game, where you just shoot enemies while riding a motorbike. This stage is in the jungle. A futuristic jungle!

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »

This is a cool tune but the guitar and drum sounds don't seem quite right for this style of music. The drum kit almost sounds jazzy or something, but the song seems to call for something a bit more propulsive. The guitars seem a little bit thin and tame; they don't cut quite like they should.

That said, it doesn't sound bad at all, and I like the guitar melodies a lot.

Hey BroAnd! Thanks for your ears. As obvious as it might seem these are things I wouldn't have thought to fix.

The guitars were an ESP EC-50 (cheapy thing) into a Peavy Windsor and a Thiele 1x12. As I go I'm finding that the Windsor is more of a hard rock amp than a metal amp. I mean I love the sound of it in my room, but it doesn't seem to translate when I stick a 57 in front of it. I've noticed when looking at the waveforms that the attack is actually pretty slow. So what sounds like crunch in the room comes off as kinda just mush on the recording.

You're a guitarist, have any advice for that? Other than just getting a 5150 Smiley. I tried using a harder pick today and it gives it a big attack sound like I think I want (actually, it was not just a hard pick but a hard serrated pick from these guys. It sounds rad but it's impossible to up-pick with this thing Huh?). Also probably should have used my tubescreamer that day as well. Maybe using a LCD a foot+ away.

As for the drums, well, they're live, recorded on my drum kit with old-as-heck skins, triggered to one of the metal kits from Steven Slate 4.0 blended with some other samples for idiosyncrasy. So I should probably just pay more attention to what I'm blending. Though the crappy kit being heard by the room and overhead mics probably doesn't help. Glad you dig the tune!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:38:08 PM by Audiosprite » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic