Hi all! I've been working on this Contra style shooter for what feels like forever now, and it's still under construction, but is very playable with a joystick!Screenshots: Title:
Continue? Philly Under FireDescription:
Based on the web show "Continue?" play as Paul, Nick, or Josh in this 8-bit Contra style shooter! Blast the shit out of a ton of bosses in 3 levels of run and gun action to save Philadelphia from annihilation!Platform:
31.13 MBDownload Continue Build RC 21https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhwbygun98gjnhd/Continue_RC_21.zip?v=0mcnState of the game:
The game is being worked on, but it can be played all the way through. Here's an abridged list of things still being worked on:
1) Joystick support is working in 1P mode, but there is no keyboard support yet!
2) 2P mode is not functional
3) "Dom Mode" is not yet functional
4) Powerup drop capsules are sparse in level 2
5) Online highscore submission is disabledAbout the show:
Here's a link to a recent show, just to give you an idea what the show is like:
In a nutshell, the show stars 3 friends that sit on a couch and play a retro game, and at the end will give it a thumbs up (or Continue) or a thumbs down (Game Over). It isn't really a review or "let's play" show however, it's more just 3 guys goofing off and making jokes while playing games in a improv kind of style.Feedback:
At this point, we're still focused on making sure all the mini-boss and main-boss fights are fun and that the level design is solid. Here's a very brief breakdown of what I feel is working and what isn't. Any feedback, disagreements, and recommendations are more than welcome!Level 1:
The big challenge in this first level is teaching the player what to do in the last section of the level. I'd go into further detail, but I don't want to skew how you react to it
Let me know what issues you run into
The bosses are listed in the order they appear.Level 1 Bosses:
1) Drill Worm: I'm happy with this one, he's basic, but he's supposed to be.
2) Blade Beatle: I think this one is fine, I might rework it's sprite art.
3) Eyeball Boss: This one seems fine too, it's a bit long for a first boss, but that's part of the identity of the game.Level 2:
Overall it's not bad, but it could be better. I feel like it goes for too long, but I've already cut it down quite a bit! Looking to see what areas drag the most.Level 2 Bosses:
1) Robo Fish: This one might be too tough, but otherwise is solid.
2) Alien Wizard: I like this one, but it feels that the pattern might be too unforgiving.
3) Robot eye: This just goes on for too long, looking to distill it in some way.Level 3:
I feel that level 3 is solid, but the area before the snail boss might be too tough.Level 3 Bosses:
1) Ceiling monster: I feel like this one works fine, let me know if you think otherwise.
2) Snail boss: I'm happy with this one for the most part.
3) Triple Gauntlet: I'll be the first to admit it's totally insane, but that's sort of intentional Wrap up:
This game has been quite a lot of work! With some of your feedback and guidance, I think we can get this thing to be something really special for the show! Thanks for taking the time to read all this, and thanks for playing!