Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 02:15:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogslifeless: ECHRO
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: lifeless: ECHRO  (Read 16508 times)
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »

I wasn't trolling, learn to take criticism; current version gets tedious very quickly

"other was miles better" isn't criticism, now go away for reals.

@Pemanent yup.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »

yeh it is

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »

yeh it is

it would if he actually stated what the problems where instead of just saying "f u"
tigs is a nuclear reactor.

poe
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »

yeh it is

it would if he actually stated what the problems where instead of just saying "f u"

So sort of like what you did to me? Except this is different because it's you? Gotcha.
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2013, 01:42:58 PM »

yeh it is

So sort of like what you did to me? Except this is different because it's you? Gotcha.

"the official logo is stupid" isn't valid criticm, but the explaination i gave afterwards was.
* Cellusious facepalms at you, tigsource the nuclear reactor

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2013, 01:56:03 PM »

I wasn't trolling, learn to take criticism; current version gets tedious very quickly

The gameplay mechanic (clicking around and bumping into stuff before they bump into you or attempting to dodge them) might be unique and but that doesn't mean it's fun, interesting or good, it's plain and banal

There is no proper UI; I can't see what my enemies' status are, disregard that - I can't even see my own status, making their and my own actions feel very unresponsive. At least take your time and show that the enemies are taking damage

Again, this one can be related to one above; it's fairly boring as there's no feeling of progression (I don't mean this under the context of "Oh neat, a new procedurally generated floor!"), which makes it very tedious simply clicking on things until they die

On top of that the game requires no skill, none, which makes me think that the "hard mode" is just a weak attempt to provide some challenge for the user which got tired of the normal mode

The first version was a lot better as it at least looked like it had some gameplay. Platformer shooters require you to act quickly to many situations and reward you for good play. The new version is obviously a complete remake, however doesn't even live up to what the first one seemed to be

Lastly, please fix it. For some ambiguous reason the game cooperated with me very rarely and only ran once in every 20-30(?) tries

Sincerely,
internet troll

P.S: I read Instructions.txt

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »

The gameplay mechanic (clicking around and bumping into stuff before they bump into you or attempting to dodge them) might be unique and but that doesn't mean it's fun, interesting or good, it's plain and banal

There is no proper UI; I can't see what my enemies' status are, disregard that - I can't even see my own status, making their and my own actions feel very unresponsive. At least take your time and show that the enemies are taking damage

Again, this one can be related to one above; it's fairly boring as there's no feeling of progression (I don't mean this under the context of "Oh neat, a new procedurally generated floor!"), which makes it very tedious simply clicking on things until they die

On top of that the game requires no skill, none, which makes me think that the "hard mode" is just a weak attempt to provide some challenge for the user which got tired of the normal mode

The first version was a lot better as it at least looked like it had some gameplay. Platformer shooters require you to act quickly to many situations and reward you for good play. The new version is obviously a complete remake, however doesn't even live up to what the first one seemed to be

Lastly, please fix it. For some ambiguous reason the game cooperated with me very rarely and only ran once in every 20-30(?) tries

Sincerely,
internet troll

P.S: I read Instructions.txt

That's much better! thanks.

Yeah, a lot of those points are to be fixed in futher updates, adding a better and more ui, actual progression and such will be fixed with procgen (which is almost done, trying to nail down some weird gen bugs).

"On top of that the game requires no skill, none, which makes me think that the "hard mode" is just a weak attempt to provide some challenge for the user which got tired of the normal mode

Lastly, please fix it. For some ambiguous reason the game cooperated with me very rarely and only ran once in every 20-30(?) tries"

Oh, i thought keeping a *rhythm*, dodging back when the enemies attack and attacking, placement and such was a bit of skill. I don't agree that there's no skill involved but there are things that can be fixed to raise the skill curve. For me i think it has the same "greatness'es" (not greatness, more like good things, positives) as the orginal one, rewarding you for good play but it's quite monotone as said at the moment. different level props and enemies that require more kinds of strategy should fix that.

Oh, what os and bit thing do you have?
It (should) currently runs fine on; (all tested)
Win7 64bit
Win8
Linux (wine) (has issues with sound)
Mac (wine) (has maybe issues with sound, it runs atleast)

placing the instructions in a txt file is a dick move by me, the instructions will be in the game as an actual help menu or something.

Any other points/pointers to what to add/fix/change to raise the skill cap and make it less monotone. Updates will hopefully fix these issues but you never know :<

Game isn't "done" but it's a framework for me to add stuff to. read http://lifelessechro.com/ for info.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »

I'm running Windows 8 64-bit, I have no idea

also, just make the elements respond to your action. It'll make the game more "alive"
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:48 PM »

I'm running Windows 8 64-bit, I have no idea

also, just make the elements respond to your action. It'll make the game more "alive"

Gaah, here's a build that https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34397004/Echrotest.zip should work on win8. It's an issue with sound thing (i think it's the directsound thing, another guy said that was an issue).

Also make the elements respond?
I' was thinking about adding grass which moved when you moved trough it, and such.
most crit at this point is things to add :3

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »

At least take your time and show that the enemies are taking damage
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »

At least take your time and show that the enemies are taking damage

ah  Embarrassed will fix that in 1.04 (in two days or so)

antoniodamala
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2013, 07:20:39 PM »

Let the guy breath a little, for christ sake.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2013, 10:55:30 PM »

The click-to-move/attack mechanic is interesting but it seems like the only meaningful choice to make is where to engage groups of enemies. 1-on-1 it just devolves into a punching game, which is how a lot of roguelikes do it I guess. Might be cool if hitting an enemy hard enough interrupted its cooldown, or if facing an enemy with your arrow thing improved your defence, etc, there's a lot of ways you can spice it up mechanically.

Visuals are cool, although I'm not a huge fan of the scaled-up enemies.

Music is good, but when I got a gameover it started playing over itself.

It is very hard to get through doorways. It's usually better to have hitboxes around the feet in games of this perspective.

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2013, 04:11:50 AM »

I'm disappointed, but that's my fault for wanting to play games solely based on visuals. What isn't my fault is that you started this project holding too much ambition over your head and failed to deliver. Sorry Cell, no game made under your name should look this bad, you're better than this.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2013, 04:40:53 AM »

wow rekt
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2013, 05:06:11 AM »

I'm disappointed, but that's my fault for wanting to play games solely based on visuals. What isn't my fault is that you started this project holding too much ambition over your head and failed to deliver. Sorry Cell, no game made under your name should look this bad, you're better than this.

+10 bonus points to me for managing to piss you off.
Last time i checked i was the one making the game, making the choices, making the aestheic choiced. you're free to crit but nonsensical blabber doesn't do anything; And if i wanted i could make an ascii game.  i'll alter the art so it looks worse than it currently does how about that?
Smiley

@Quarry - got no idea what rekt means

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2013, 07:14:34 AM »

Wrecked
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2013, 07:17:44 AM »

top rekt

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Blambo
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2013, 07:45:51 AM »

+10 bonus points to me for managing to piss you off.
Last time i checked i was the one making the game, making the choices, making the aestheic choiced. you're free to crit but nonsensical blabber doesn't do anything; And if i wanted i could make an ascii game.  i'll alter the art so it looks worse than it currently does how about that?
Smiley

@Quarry - got no idea what rekt means

Can't believe this is an actual beef. Over video game art.
blackarm
Level 0

VALHALLA

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »

Blah, blah blah. Sorry Cell, no game made under your name should look this bad, you're better than this.

wow rekt

This much butthurt in someone else's devlog. Take the trolling somewhere else, there's no place for it here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic