Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:53:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookStrange Visit (30) [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Strange Visit (30) [FINISHED]  (Read 27554 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 06:32:49 PM »

doesn't work on my comp at all; just crashes on startup (no window ever visible, just standard windows crashy crashy box).  Alas Sad
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 09:46:13 AM »

If anyone wants to get download the full 15 minute version of the soundtrack, you can get it here: http://www.zshare.net/download/51732815f434e8e5/

Yes, this. I trimmed the included version down to 4 minutes because the full length doubled the file size of the game and the game is frankly not that long anyway, but I felt really bad about it. Sad

doesn't work on my comp at all; just crashes on startup (no window ever visible, just standard windows crashy crashy box).  Alas Sad

Eek! If you (or anyone else having crashy crash problems) wants to help me solve it, you can download the Debug executable at http://dphrygian.com/bin/StrangeVisit-Debug.exe. Throw it into the installed folder (alongside the usual exe) and run it instead; you'll get assertion messages and a log dumped to strange-visit-log.txt. I probably can't do much about it now, but it will help get my engine in shape for the next project I do.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »

It ran okay for me except I think there's some transparency issues on the blood pools (there's a black rectangle around them) and around the flame on the candle.  And maybe the player shadow, I'm not sure if it's supposed to but it shows up as a black square.

I thought the atmosphere was pretty nice though, and since just wandering around and looking at stuff is my favorite thing to do in FPS games it was pretty enjoyable.  I think there should be more non-combat FPS's.  (Well I guess then they would just be FP's, eh?)

Anyway, not too shabby.  It could use a little work in the texturing and modeling department, but I think you know that.  Also, sliding slowly down the stairs is kind of annoying.  But overall I enjoyed it, so good job! Beer!

tweet tweet @j_younger
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008, 09:36:32 PM »

FPG (First-Person Game), FPE (First-Person Explorer), FPH (First-Person Horror), etc. Smiley

Also, got it to work, finally. The atmosphere is awesome, and the simple 3D style of the game seems to enhance it. I was half-expecting to see Alone in the Dark creatures to pounce me at any moment, or some kind of crazy dude. The fact that you never meet anyone enhances the atmosphere. (there needs to be more first-person games focused on solitary environments. I remember that being one of the things I liked the most in games like the first Unreal)

The only problem is that the game lagged for me and had uneven framerate. Still awesome though. Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 10:14:54 PM »

After quite a time lurking, I've decided to post.

This was amazing. I kept thinking, knowing, that there was something behind me, and turning around. Especially in the cramped halls.

And spoiler I had a chill going 'till I got out of the house.

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 12:24:18 AM »

This was great, and the use of sound was awesome too. I was almost shitting myself every second.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »

Really creepy atmosphere. I like more gameplay-oriented games, but I think you succeeded in what you set out to do.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 10:56:45 AM »

This was quite good. Very nice atmosphere. Wish you had taken out the jumping and the crouching and the leaning to the sides from the controls, though, as they're never needed and just clutter up the control scheme. Still, your engine runs great!

David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 11:56:57 AM »

This was quite good. Very nice atmosphere. Wish you had taken out the jumping and the crouching and the leaning to the sides from the controls, though, as they're never needed and just clutter up the control scheme. Still, your engine runs great!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear the engine is working well for some! I'll still need to do a lot of optimizing for everyone else, though (and probably default to fullscreen mode in the future, as it performs way, way better on some systems).

You're absolutely right about the controls--I removed certain inputs like weapon firing that had absolutely no function in this game, but never did a full pass on it. Several other less obvious things got held over from my main project as well--the gear icon, the profile system (invisible unless you hunt around in the installed directory), the art deco font... Funny enough, the icon is the one that really bugs me, because it's such an obvious thing and I actually intended to replace it but then I totally forgot. Ah well.

increpare
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »

just installed directx9 to be sure, but getting the error

Initializing Clock
Console initialized
Resetting display
Initializing Clock
Initializing Direct3D...
Creating Direct3D device...
Assertion failed: "Result == ((HRESULT)0x00000000L)" ()
in D3D9Renderer::D3D9Renderer in c:\dev\engine\code\libraries\3d\src\d3d9renderer.cpp at line 97
Device created.
Creating default render target...

David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »

Thanks for testing that. It's failing the CreateDevice call, probably because of something I put in the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS (unsupported depth-stencil format is my best guess), but what I've really learned is that I need to log more about device capabilities in Debug mode because guessing is no way to debug something.

cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »

Wow, this was a hard game to play all the way through. I did the hall sweeping/turning around thing too and held my breath for much of it.

Funny thing about this game though. As I got closer to the castle the framerate started to drop so I started to slower as I got closer. I thought that was part of the game and it had a pretty good effect. Worth experimenting with. Dropped the resolution and the framerate sucked but was playable.

Either way, I loved this. Good job!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic