Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:46:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookThis Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: This Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]  (Read 82818 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2008, 03:18:02 PM »

Finished!  And posted with just ten minutes to spare Cool

Download: http://www.box.net/shared/7lvituzn3h

Requirements:
Windows XP or Vista
DirectX 9.0c (At least the August 2008 update!)
Some kind of hardware accelerated graphics card

Jump with Z
Shoot with X

Full controls and credits in readme.txt

--------------
Update:
--------------
For folks who can't get this to run even after updating your DirectX, here's a no-sound version:

Download: http://www.box.net/shared/jlmvysm68q

--------------
Original post:
--------------

186 Thing from sea—in dark house, man finds doorknobs etc. wet as from touch of something. He has been a sea-captain, and once found a strange temple on a volcanically risen island.

An old ship captain wakes in his home one night to strange noises.  When he goes to investigate, he's greeted by a horror from his past.  The story will span ten years.  Most of the gameplay will take place as a flashback.

It'll be a pretty no-frills platformer (jump and shoot) with a few cutscenes for story.  I'll just gut one of my current project's platforming engines and use that.

I'll also be taking a few elements from some of the other Commonplace Book entries and melding them into the story.  After finally locking in on the subject, the story took shape in my head rather quickly, and I can (hopefully) accomplish it in a relatively small game.  I'll keep the bulk of the story secret (wouldn't want to spoil anything Wink) but I'll probably have an engine test up tonight or tomorrow.

Not much to show for now except a few sprites (critiques welcome, I'm not much of a sprite artist):

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:27:43 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 05:00:31 PM »

great sprites Beer!
The balding demographic will be pleased for once.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »

Hey thanks moi Smiley

Okay, I have the basic platform engine working: [link removed]

Jump with Z.  Esc to quit.

Before I get too deep into the game I'd like to do a little test to make sure I've got my timedeltas down right.  If a couple people could try out the engine and compare it to this diagram I'd appreciate it Smiley

Just check to see if, you know, he jumps about that high.  Also when jumping from point A as indicated, you should just about land at point B, no more or less.  I just want to make sure this is running accurately on different refresh rates.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:37:49 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 06:16:43 PM »

Graphics look cool Smiley

I tried to run that, but apparently I need a pixel shader 2.0? Shocked

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 06:21:29 PM »

Graphics look cool Smiley

I tried to run that, but apparently I need a pixel shader 2.0? Shocked

Oops!  Gimme a sec, I'll disable that.

Okay, here it is:  [link removed]

(I had shader effects in the engine I scrapped Tongue)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:38:10 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 06:24:20 PM »

Yep, things work pretty much as you described! Smiley This is looking promising!

The acceleration of the main character seems a little slow for my liking though; it takes way too long to turn around at the moment... I dunno though, I guess it depends what you're going for - it's obviously way too early for feedback Tongue

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 06:47:04 PM »

Yeah, it works fine for me too. Good luck with this, it looks great!

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 06:56:40 PM »

I think the acceleration for the character is fine but turning will feel better if there's another 'animation' (quotes because it could just be one frame) for turning around.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 08:35:10 PM »

Thanks for testing it out, guys.  I suppose I could have just changed my refresh rate and tested it myself but my brains are tired and I didn't think to do that Tired

@Terry:  Yeah, the acceleration and speed and stuff isn't locked in yet, once there's more interaction in the game it'll be easier to dial in on the final numbers.

@chutup:  Thanks Smiley

@Kobel:  I agree 100%, it would look much better with a turning-around frame.  I'm slow as hell at spriting though, so it's probably not likely to happen.  If by some miracle I have time for polishing at the end of development I'll try to work something out.

Edit:
Oh wow, we have a month now?  Tears of Joy
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 08:43:08 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 08:51:32 PM »

Ohh, this caught your eye too, ey? The movement's quite smooth. Captain is a rather cheerful looking fellow. Will he age throughout the game, p'raps?
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 09:01:32 PM »

Captain is a rather cheerful looking fellow. Will he age throughout the game, p'raps?

Yep.  His beard will be gray and his head will be even more bald in the opening and ending scenes.  (He'll also be in his jammies Smiley)

tweet tweet @j_younger
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 11:50:50 PM »

More games need to star sea captains. Gentleman

Sprites look good. Nice palette. The cross-legged walking animation feels a bit weird in-game, though that might just be the speed.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 04:04:47 AM »

Works as advertised.

His bended legs when jumping look a bit strange to me, but otherwise it's just fine.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 10:20:06 AM »

Tried to run it but it wanted me to download some DirectX stuff in order to run, and you'd better fix that for the final release because I don't play compo entries that want me to download stuff or change things in the windows installation  Gentleman

Otherwise, love the sprites.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
medieval
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 10:38:34 AM »

Woo for balding.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 10:40:45 AM »

Tried to run it but it wanted me to download some DirectX stuff in order to run, and you'd better fix that for the final release because I don't play compo entries that want me to download stuff or change things in the windows installation  Gentleman

I think it's pretty much expected that anyone who plays games has DirectX on their computer.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 11:30:12 AM »

Yeah I guess I should mention that you need at least DirectX 9.0c to play (and also it's therefore (obviously) Windows only) Tongue

Sorry moi, not much I can do about that.

tweet tweet @j_younger
increpare
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 04:44:28 PM »

the movement feels pretty satisfying  Beer!
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »

You sound as if you don't know what directX is.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 08:30:59 PM »

Runs ok

I need to shoot the gun.

Make 'X' work kthxbye

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to: