Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:51:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookThis Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: This Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]  (Read 83068 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2008, 05:49:53 AM »

After the three periods, should there not be a capital letter?

increpare
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2008, 09:04:48 AM »

no
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2008, 09:20:30 AM »

It should actually be "Disgusting. What manner of foul beast is this?," correct? But eh, technicalities.

deadeye, it's looking beautiful. I studied your Little Hitler in Toyland a bit when making my entry for the compo, but it was so complex, I got little mileage out of it. Now that I finished my game I might be able to understand it a bit more, though. I don't know how you do all this beautiful stuff in Construct, but it's still great!

increpare
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »

It should actually be "Disgusting. What manner of foul beast is this?," correct? But eh, technicalities.
Tradition has it that "Disgusting....  What manner of foul beast is this?" would be the most correct way of writing it.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2008, 10:55:38 AM »

I studied your Little Hitler in Toyland a bit when making my entry for the compo, but it was so complex, I got little mileage out of it.  Now that I finished my game I might be able to understand it a bit more, though. I don't know how you do all this beautiful stuff in Construct, but it's still great!

Hehe, I'm sorry you had to do that.  It's not a very good example of how to make a game Tongue.

That game was so messy and hacked together it's not even funny.  A lot of the code in that was to overcome bugs in older versions of Construct, and is way obsolete.  In fact, a couple Construct builds were released while I was making LHiT that made code I'd just written obsolete.  Hell, the .cap file won't even run any more in the newest version of Construct because they've changed so much.

This game is a lot cleaner as far as hacks go, because Construct itself is a hell of a lot more stable than when I made LHiT.  The only hacky things I've had to do this time around have to do mainly with the XAudio2 plugin, but it's a pretty new addition so they're still ironing out the bugs.

My game code is pretty messy though, I really should have taken more time to organize my stuff before diving into the engine.  I don't think I'll release the source for this the way I did with LHiT, but I'll definitely answer any questions on how I made stuff over on the Construct forum if people are curious.  It's a pretty straight-forward game though, there aren't really any fancy tricks in it.  The fanciest things I have in the game are a couple additive shaders and a little sprite mesh distortion.  The rest is just basic platforming.

tweet tweet @j_younger
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »

I'm not fond of the 4 dot ellipses. I usually write with ... even at the end of the sentence, instead of the more common....

I think part of it is most publication houses that I've dealt with have given me the same advice: "there are only three periods in an ellipse". Some of that is because you'll find writers who do........ long...... ass..... pauses in their writing, and that is what the comment is directed to, but I've never had an editor correct the... at the end.

However, I do make a point of ending a paragraph on an ellipse for the end of a sentence, so that is probably related to that. Otherwise, I don't capitalize after an ellipse since it really is just a pause in the middle of a sentence (well not in this comment).

I think the difference between "Disgusting. What manner..." and "Disgusting.... What manner..." or even "Disgusting... what manner..." comes down to preferences in writing and tone. For me, they have a slightly different feel to them and most people don't seem to really care that much one way or the other. Some do, obviously, but when I pay people to edit my stories, they don't bring it up as long as I don't use........ um.... yeah...... Okay, I hate more than three in general. Smiley
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2008, 11:18:49 AM »

no

I had no idea, thank you Smiley

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2008, 11:50:24 AM »

no

The linked rules are for an omission ellipsis, not a trailing ellipsis.  If the character had said, "Disgusting, filthy-minded people make me wonder what foul manner of beast is this?" and it was shortened by omitting the middle part, it would be written, "Disgusting ... what foul manner of beast is this?" with a space before and after the ellipsis.

This is clearly two separate thoughts with two separate, capitalized sentences, so it should be, "Disgusting...  What foul manner of beast is this?"

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
increpare
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2008, 11:54:05 AM »

no

The linked rules are for an omission ellipsis, not a trailing ellipsis.
No, it covers both, in some detail, giving variations of the rules.  For omission ellipses, I use '[...]'.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »

The only hacky things I've had to do this time around have to do mainly with the XAudio2 plugin, but it's a pretty new addition so they're still ironing out the bugs.

Seriously? Because I found plenty of bugs (like these two, submitted in a hurry because I had to work on the game, but I found many more). I'm not complaining, though; it's still in beta, and I like how the program is structured, overall. Can't wait till it gets out of beta!

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »

Seriously? Because I found plenty of bugs (like these two

Well, I have found a couple new bugs since I started, mostly with the IDE and XAudio2.  And now that I think about it I did have to make a hacky workaround to get the running animation on my enemies to work right (it wasn't reporting when they were on the ground properly so half the time they'd still be stuck in their "falling" animation while sliding along the ground).  But I haven't run into any opacity issues like you've reported, and I'm using opacity changes a lot for scene fades and such.  All in all it's been pretty headache free.  Though I keep expecting a serious game-breaking bug to pop up at the last second and ruin the whole thing Sad

tweet tweet @j_younger
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2008, 11:54:35 PM »

Whoo, man... I'm cutting it close.  I posted my entry with just ten minutes to spare.

Update in first post.

Edit:
I didn't have time to get the ending I wanted in there.  In fact, I cut out an entire scene between the island and the house.  The ending I originally had in mind was much different, and much more serious.  And even though this one was just sort of thrown together, I think it's actually an okay ending Smiley.

I've spent the past few hours trying to track down and kill one very annoying bug, and, with just a half an hour left in the compo, I think I finally succeeded.  It didn't pop up in the last few times I played through it, anyway.  Basically what was happening is when one enemy's dying animation was playing, sometimes bullet hits wouldn't register on another enemy.  I think I got everything sorted out on that though.

Anyway, this is pretty much a milestone for me, as it's my first complete game ever.  It might not look as fancy as I wanted, and it's not as grand in scale or story as I'd planned, but I'm still feeling pretty good about it regardless.  Hopefully it's somewhat enjoyable.  I can't really tell, having played the thing over and over and getting really annoyed with the damned bullet collision bug has kind of worn me down.

Anyway, enjoy.  If there's interest, I might work on a non-compo version that has all the story and stuff that was originally supposed to be in there, but it won't be for a while, and I'm definitely not going to be working my ass off around the clock over it like I have these past few days. Tired
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 12:12:30 AM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2008, 12:13:58 AM »

Yey! Congrats :D I'm really looking forward to trying this out tomorrow morning!

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2008, 04:36:25 AM »

I was looking forward to this a lot, but sadly it now freezes my computer when I encounter the slime.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2008, 07:23:25 AM »

I like this one! The beginning cut scene definitely had a nice feel to it.

-Music would make this way more awesome.

-The monsters are pretty fun. The way they chase you across screens once you've seen them once is cool.

-The island does get repetitive after a while, and it can be hard to figure out where you should be going at times.

-Variable jump height would be cool.

-I loved the ending! :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:28:44 AM by GeneralValter » Logged
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2008, 08:53:48 AM »

I was looking forward to this a lot, but sadly it now freezes my computer when I encounter the slime.

Oh no Sad.  Do you mean in the house level when you come back in from the outside?  Does it happen when the door closes?  If so it might be an XAudio2 issue with turning off the background sounds.

Anyway, here's a cheat for you so you: Press 'K' at the menu to skip to the island level.  That way you can at least play the main game.  Hopefully that at least won't crap out on you.  It skips over the first flashback scene, though. 

I like this one! The beginning cut scene definitely had a nice feel to it.

-The monsters are pretty fun. The way they chase you across screens once you've seen them once is cool.

Ah, good Smiley.  I was worried they'd be a little too simple.  Their AI isn't very complicated at all, but I did try to make it a little more complex than just "follow the player."

-The island does get repetitive after a while, and it can be hard to figure out where you should be going at times.

I was afraid of that.  I had to cut a lot of corners on the island.  There was a lot more scenery planned for it, but I just didn't have time to draw it all up.

-I loved the ending! :D

Awesome Grin.  I figured if I couldn't resolve the story the way I wanted, might as well try to make it entertaining.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:57:02 AM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
increpare
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »

is there a fullscreen button? (having trouble finding my way around...going to try it again in a couple of days...intro is very impressive...)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 04:17:59 PM by increpare » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2008, 05:32:06 PM »

Same problem here, unfortunately. Except it freezes when I go into the next room. Also, there's no sound at all. I'll try on another computer, perhaps.
captainbinky
Level 0

My dog's got no nose...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »

Same problem here, unfortunately. Except it freezes when I go into the next room. Also, there's no sound at all. I'll try on another computer, perhaps.

I'm afraid I get the same problem - room with the slime, and freeze. I suspected it would be an audio-related issue as the credits mentioned music and I was getting no sound at all.  Undecided

It's a shame, I really liked the screenshots. Any chance of a YouTube playthrough vid so I can at least see it in order to vote?

edit: Never mind - I've just seen your 'K' cheat so I've played through it now. Love the ending Beer! (still, it was a shame not to be able to hear sounds or see the complete opening to get the full atmosphere though). Great stuff!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:57:20 PM by captainbinky » Logged

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2008, 06:34:27 PM »

For everyone who's having the audio crash issues, could you post your OS and specs?  The developers of Construct should know so they can look into the issue.  It sucks that you guys are having this problem, I'm really sorry about that.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make a video for the game... it seems that my computer has died rather unexpectedly.  One second it was working fine, then the internet cut out, so I reset my router and computer.  Now when I try to boot it up it comes up with "Disk read error."  Wonderful.

Well, hey... at least I finished my game before the hard drive crash.  Usually you hear it the other way around :D.

@increpare: Sorry, there's no fullscreen.  I didn't code any in, it's windowed only.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic