Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:36:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookThis Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: This Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]  (Read 83062 times)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2008, 06:50:55 PM »

I've tried it on Vista and XP, and both of them just stop when I meet the slime-covered guy in the intro. It doesn't freeze (slime's still animated), or crash (I can minimise the game, run it in the background etc), nor do I get an error message - it just becomes totally unresponsive. No text comes on screen, no inputs work.

I'd use the K-cheat, but I'd rather figure out what's going on than ruin a perfectly good atmosphere.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2008, 07:04:20 PM »

Loved the ending. :D

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2008, 07:38:37 AM »

Okay, I got a response back from the guy who makes Construct:

Quote from: Ashley

Quote from: deadeye
Hey Ashley, there's a lot of people in my compo thread reporting that the game has no sound and crashes for them during sound-related events.  I've asked them to post their OS and specs and stuff.  Anything I can tell them that might help in the mean-time?

Have they definitely got the August 2008 DirectX update?  It ought to prompt if they don't have it, but they might be missing some of the files (like XAudio2_2.dll).  Ask them to install the latest DirectX end user runtime.

So... maybe if it's crashing make sure to run a DirectX update, hopefully that will take care of the audio-related crashes.  I know it's a hassle having to install extra crap to play a game, I apologize.  But hey... at least it's a real, useful Windows update Smiley

As for my hard drive crash, I was able to recover all of my work from the drive.  I swapped my master and slave drives and installed Windows on the ex-slave.  Thankfully it still reads my old drive, it just won't boot.  So that's a bonus.  I might be able to get a video up in the next day or two once I have everything sorted.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »

DX 9.0c nov08: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=886acb56-c91a-4a8e-8bb8-9f20f1244a8e

Vista users should get DX10.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »

Hahaha :D

This was great. Good work.
scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2008, 11:58:46 AM »

This seems to be kind of a generic error I'm having, but I'm getting the following error when trying to start the game:

"An unexpected error occurred and the application was terminated. We apologise for the inconvenience. Please report this bug to the application vendor."

(Very informative.) I'm actually also getting this error with The Lake and Afterlife Consequences (from those I've tried so far), which are also built using Construct. I know you don't need to help me, it's not specific to your game, but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea. I'm using XP. I installed the newest version of DirectX 9.0 (it asked me to anyway) first the web version, then the local version, then I tried rebooting, and the error persists. It seems to be related to Construct, but I downloaded a Construct tech demo and it worked. Google says I'm mostly alone on this one. I appreciate any help.

I want to play this game. Sad
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »

This seems to be kind of a generic error I'm having, but I'm getting the following error when trying to start the game:

"An unexpected error occurred and the application was terminated. We apologise for the inconvenience. Please report this bug to the application vendor."

(Very informative.) I'm actually also getting this error with The Lake and Afterlife Consequences (from those I've tried so far), which are also built using Construct. I know you don't need to help me, it's not specific to your game, but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea. I'm using XP. I installed the newest version of DirectX 9.0 (it asked me to anyway) first the web version, then the local version, then I tried rebooting, and the error persists. It seems to be related to Construct, but I downloaded a Construct tech demo and it worked. Google says I'm mostly alone on this one. I appreciate any help.

I want to play this game. Sad
Remember that with the local version, the file you download only unpacks the installation files, you have to run them from where you unpacked them.
scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »

Remember that with the local version, the file you download only unpacks the installation files, you have to run them from where you unpacked them.

Yes, I did.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2008, 01:54:21 PM »

Haha, the ending is fantastic! Everything about this game is so smooth. The cinematic before the island level is beautifully animated, too.

Anyway, this is pretty much a milestone for me, as it's my first complete game ever.
Congratulations! Beer! I'd definitely like to see a post-compo version.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »

For those of you who can play it, I'm glad you're enjoying it.  That's the most I could ask for Smiley.

I asked the devs about this one too, so we'll see what they say.

tweet tweet @j_younger
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »

I didn't get any errors thank goodness, 'cause I've been waiting for this one.

Great entry man. This pretty much lived up to all the hopes I had for it, and you made it in time too!

Can't wait for your Construct tutorial; if it actually winds up helping me to make games like this, you'll be even more amazing. Tongue

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2008, 07:07:02 PM »

Okay, since there are a lot of people who can't play through because of the sound, I've decided to compile a no-sound verison.  With all the sounds stripped out it's actually pretty light on the megabytes Tongue

Anyway, download here.

Same rules apply, you should have Windows XP or Vista, you should have the latest DirectX installed, and you should have some kind of 3D graphics card.

Hopefully this one works okay for you guys Smiley.  But really, if you haven't installed the newest DirectX update, I recommend you at least try that first so you can hear the sound.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:47:14 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2008, 02:53:58 AM »

Thanks to your no sound version, I was able to play and complete the game. Nice work! I enjoyed it a lot. The ending was strange...
i stole your car
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2008, 06:13:25 AM »

Well I played it...

There were a couple of points where the dialogue was not very legible or it was vaguely frustrating due to deaths that were not my fault thanks to falling directly onto an enemy but overall I guess it was pretty fun and had a nice little atmosphere about it. The ending however was pretty bizarre and a little unsatisfying.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2008, 10:20:16 AM »

Good to see the no-sound version runs at lest.  Hopefully the Construct devs can sort out the issue by the next build Smiley.

@i stole your car:

I can't say I'm surprised you didn't like the ending, I made it just a couple hours before the compo deadline.  It's not the original ending I had planned.  Since I didn't have time to wrap up the story (I had to cut an entire scene out) I decided to make a bit of a joke out of it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
i stole your car
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »

I can't say I'm surprised you didn't like the ending, I made it just a couple hours before the compo deadline.  It's not the original ending I had planned.  Since I didn't have time to wrap up the story (I had to cut an entire scene out) I decided to make a bit of a joke out of it.

Yeah it seemed like a bit of a rush job, the game was of a pretty high quality up until then and it's wrapped up in such an odd way. It's definitely forgivable where deadlines are involved but do you have any plans to go back and expand on this at all now that you've released it?
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2008, 11:20:33 AM »

Maybe, but not for a while.  I want to take a little break.  I got kind of burned out on it, especially the last few days of the compo where I was pretty much working on it every spare waking moment.

tweet tweet @j_younger
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »

Alright, I finally got around to playing it. It's fantastic! Really good stuff. But I also wasn't satisfied by that ending, so add me to the list of people who want to see your game in complete form, deadeye.

Yeah, my mom's computer gets the same error, very strange. Maybe it's a video card thing. It really is too bad.

Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2008, 08:09:56 PM »

For any one who has problems running this game or the other Construct ones (like "The Lake"):
The installer that you're being linked to by the error message didn't work for me, so instead I installed the 80mb redistributable and everything was fine.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c1367bc3-4676-481a-bfaa-5c15d1d7199d

I actually found the ending pretty funny on the spot. I was expecting the story to end in a cliche way with the dead sailor coming back for the heart or something, so I was taken by surprise. I can understand how it could appear a bit cheap though... I found the captain really likable for some reason so I'm glad he didn't die  Tongue
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2008, 10:20:09 PM »

this game is fantastic, good job dude.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic