Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:34:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookThis Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: This Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]  (Read 82829 times)
Introversity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »

This was my favourite in the competition, except that it's not really complete.

Brilliant graphics and storyline, right up until the end.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »

Deadeye I can't play your game!  I get an error about a plugin 0.csx or something.  I tried skimming this thread but I must be too stupid to find anything.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2008, 09:55:30 AM »

Argh Angry!   I can't wait until Construct is at v1.0 so I don't have to worry about this stuff any more.

Have you done the DirectX update thing (Bob le Moche posted a link a couple posts up)?  Have you tried the no-sound version?  Have you sacrificed a chicken while dancing around a fire and chanting voodoo rituals in your underwear?

If none of that works then post the whole error message and I'll ask the Construct devs what's up.

this game is fantastic, good job dude.
This was my favourite in the competition, except that it's not really complete.
Brilliant graphics and storyline, right up until the end.
I actually found the ending pretty funny on the spot. I was expecting the story to end in a cliche way with the dead sailor coming back for the heart or something, so I was taken by surprise. I can understand how it could appear a bit cheap though... I found the captain really likable for some reason so I'm glad he didn't die  Tongue

Thanks for the kind words, guys Smiley.

tweet tweet @j_younger
scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2008, 02:41:45 PM »

So I decided to give up and play the no sound version. Really great, though I wish I had sound. Smiley

I have been trying to make this game work since the beginning of this week (as deadeye knows) and I admit that that pushed my expectation a bit too high. Even so, the graphics are just awesome, especially the creature at the final cave room. I feel like there could have been different monsters and things on the main cave, but considering the period of time for this compo, the way it is is great. The ending was quite neat, especially considering it's somewhat improvised. Smiley If you develop this game further, I'd like to see a more Lovecraftian kind of ending (the current ending would work well as an alternate ending, though).

I would really like to see this one further developed. Excellent work. Beer!
mirosurabu
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »

Played it and completed it.

I've noticed people complain about the ending. Well, I am not one of them. Actually, for a short game like this I think it's very good (and certainly better than the ending of my entry lol) and I have to say I didn't expect such scenario when I read the comments. (I expected something like what I did..)

I just can't say much about graphics. They are great. I can see that animations are not really following quality level of artwork but it's fine enough to be enjoyable.

I could also notice at which point and how you rushed the game. The level of detail you have put in the beginning of the game drops as you play the game. Auditory ambient at the beginning was perfect, I can say. But, once I reached caves, I started wondering whether I downloaded no-sound version or complete version. And sadly it was complete version. :D How did that great Lovecraftian auditory ambient disappeared?

In short, caves part was fun, but soundless.

Nevertheless, it's one of my CPB favorites. Good work overall. Beer!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »

I liked the ending. Deadeye could have contrived some stupid cliched ending and we would've forgotten about the game immediately. At least this way you come away with something to remember.

Besides, I loved self-referential humor when it's pulled off well, and certainly did so. The sudden change of direction went well with it too.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »

Pretty cool stuff. Graphically, the game was quite good and the engine felt smooth and responsive. I wasn't expecting a humourus ending but that doesn't mean it was altogether bad. I'm not so worried about an expanded version really. Maybe just a director's cut with the missing scene and original ending chucked in.

Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2008, 10:23:31 AM »

Impressive entry!

The aesthetic is definitely strong... and the execution is flawless.

I'd love to play more.

Daniel.
Ludomancy
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2008, 07:04:18 AM »

I'm having my head in platformer clouds today; Eversion, Lost in Eldritch, Verge and now This Cursed Rock.

very neat game, loved the narrative (that you bothered to do two different sprites for the captain) and the visuals (especially that Shub-Niggurath thing - what did you use to achieve the waving effect btw?). no complaints about the ending on my part either.

I'd love to see a complete version if there's one in the pipeline.
Gentleman
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:44:15 AM by !CE-9 » Logged

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »

Thanks everyone  Grin

I'd love to play more.

I'll finish up the version that I planned originally, but I won't be adding any new levels or anything.  I plan to resurrect this instead:

Now that I have a finished platformer (sort of) under my belt I'm going back to one of my "big projects."

that Shub-Niggurath thing - what did you use to achieve the waving effect btw?.

Construct has hardware acceleration so it can do fancy stuff like sprite mesh distortions on the fly.  I just told it to start distorting and plugged in someone else's math because I suck at math (sin and cos something something... thanks David Smiley).  This was in lieu of actually animating it, because I didn't have time, though I like how it came out so when I do animate it for the full version I'll keep the effect as well.  There were a bunch of examples of what you can do with mesh distortion posted when the feature was first added a while back.  Waving flags, pond ripples, folding cloth, etc.  But the math is beyond me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:52:52 AM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2008, 12:24:15 AM »

This crashes for me once I get back to the house and reach the puddle of water  Cry

EDIT: Nevermind, it worked now. I beat the game, very nice, dude! Great pixulz.  Gentleman
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:36:26 AM by battlerager » Logged
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2008, 02:14:42 AM »

that Shub-Niggurath thing - what did you use to achieve the waving effect btw?.

Construct has hardware acceleration so it can do fancy stuff like sprite mesh distortions on the fly.  I just told it to start distorting and plugged in someone else's math because I suck at math (sin and cos something something... thanks David Smiley).  This was in lieu of actually animating it, because I didn't have time, though I like how it came out so when I do animate it for the full version I'll keep the effect as well.  There were a bunch of examples of what you can do with mesh distortion posted when the feature was first added a while back.  Waving flags, pond ripples, folding cloth, etc.  But the math is beyond me.

Thanks, man. It really is a neat effect and quite possibly looks better than frame-based animation. I'm looking at doing something similar in OpenGL but there seems to be no easy way. (Yeah, I kinda suck at maths too. Undecided )

Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2008, 05:58:39 AM »

!CE-9, I've been thinking about that kind of stuff as well. On some of the old consoles they did all kinds of effects like that because the hardware had an interrupt on horizontal blank. This allowed you to change the position of the sprite between each scanline, allowing all kinds of cool effects.

From what I've found the only way to do something similar on modern hardware without using shaders is to use a distortion mesh. So instead of using a textured quad for your sprite, you use a textured mesh that you distort the way you want. Unless you have pixel-sized triangles, this might only result in a linear approximation of the effect you want however. (I think this is what construct does?)

The other way is to use shaders, where you can have a texture offset at each single pixel. This is how you do effects like parralax mapping in 3D games.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2008, 06:18:17 AM »

Unless you have pixel-sized triangles, this might only result in a linear approximation of the effect you want however. (I think this is what construct does?)

Undecided Uh... me click mouse.  Make game.  Magic fairy make game go.  No magic fairy, no game go.

tweet tweet @j_younger
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2008, 10:34:36 AM »

Hey, deadeye--did you use the zoom function for the pixelly look or did you just scale every graphic? I wish there was a 'truer' way of making a pixelated game in Construct... (Unless there is one and I don't know about it.)

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2008, 01:21:20 PM »

Everything was made in 2X scale ahead of time, then imported.  And instead of point sampling I used linear so the sprites could move smoothly at sub-pixel increments.  The edges do actually blur, but since they're pre-scaled you can't really tell, whereas if I'd just used 1X sprites and zoomed the display 2X I'd have to either use point sampling - which would keep things crisp but since it's zoomed it would make for blockier motion - or use linear sampling, which would make the sprite edges blurry.  It was just a design choice that worked for what I wanted to do.

Plus scaling things up ahead of time allowed for smoother 1X effects like the gradients and some of the shading, and the mesh distort is smoother as well.  I could also get away with smoothed text and it didn't look totally out of place.  I don't think it does, anyway.

Mostly it's just a habit held over from earlier builds of Construct where there were problems rendering zoomed displays properly.  I know at least most of that has been fixed by now, but since this was under a deadline I wanted to go with what I knew for an absolute certainty would work.

tweet tweet @j_younger
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »

Zoomed text still looks like crap.

Thanks for explaining, makes sense for what you wanted to do, and indeed the text does not look out of place (I had to run the game to realize that it wasn't pixelly).

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2008, 11:51:52 AM »

The end.... Yeah.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »

Hey, I got a mention... on... I don't know what this site is...

http://miyamotofanscrew.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/en-tigsource-han-hecho-una-competicion/

Uh, gracias I guess :D

(And if I'm not mistaken that comment is someone complaining about DirectX errors in Spanish Tongue)

The end.... Yeah.

Yeah.  Either way, good or bad, "yeah" pretty much sums it up. Beer!

tweet tweet @j_younger
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2008, 01:47:54 PM »

Yeah I read that as "Miyamoto Fan Screw"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic