Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:16:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookThis Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: This Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]  (Read 82837 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 03:08:39 PM »

Runs ok

I need to shoot the gun.

Make 'X' work kthxbye

Soon... hopefully.  But probably not until there is something to shoot.

Started spriting the title screen yesterday, and after a few animation problems finally got the ocean waves working just a bit ago.

Also sprited an iceberg and some clouds.  I haven't had much time to work on this with real life leaking into my production time.  I'm way behind where I originally projected I should be on day 3, all I can say is thank god for the deadline extension.

Might have a finished title screen so show later tonight or tomorrow.

tweet tweet @j_younger
azeo
Level 1

Blank slate!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 08:52:24 PM »

The platforming works great. You say everything is still viable to change, but if you fix the turning around, I'd say it was pretty good.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 03:54:10 PM »

Screenshot:

Title screen test (w/animation and sound): [link removed]
Windows only, DirectX 9.0c, Press Z to select a menu item, blah blah you know the drill
(Edit: File replaced, my timedeltas were wrong after all!  I tested the game at 75mhz and it ran too fast.  This should fix it.)

Going with a really minimalist style so I don't have to spend forever on sprites.  Also, yeah... that's a lotta blue.  It's going to be a theme.  When in the "real world" most everything is going to be in blues and greens, but when in the other place it'll be browns and reds.  That's the plan, anyway.  (And yeah, the hat will play a small role Wink.)

Also, writing out the script warranted a title change so as to make use of a certain titular line in one of the monologues.

Next up:  more spriting/tiling, and working out the cutscene flow control.  I don't know when I'll have a full and proper engine demo up.  I really should write up a plan or a checklist or something.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:39:05 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »

That artwork is spiffy Smiley

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 04:17:36 PM »

This looks really cool.
Retro nautical Lovecraft games for the win!

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 12:20:04 PM »

Thanks guys Smiley

On the development front:

I've had to take a major step back and am currently in the middle of redoing the entire menu screen from scratch.  The development platform I'm working with (Construct) is currently in beta, and there's a new beta release pretty frequently.  I started this project under one beta release, then continued in the newest when that came out, as it had a few bug fixes that I needed.

Unfortunately it also introduced a new development-breaking bug in the IDE that wasn't apparent until after I finished the menu screen.  I know these are the risks when using a program that's still in beta, but still...  Cry

Long story short:  I could no longer continue working with the newest beta release, and games made with the latest version can't be opened in previous versions.  I'm basically back where I was on day one.  *sigh*  It shouldn't take me as long to remake as it did to make though, so that's a plus.

Edit:
Welp, I was almost done remaking all of my work when I took a break and checked the Construct forums.  Lo and behold, they released a hotfix for the bug in question Smiley.  Moving on...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:36:45 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 02:26:01 PM »

I'm also really digging the sprites.  It reminds me of the Lucasarts adventure game days like Monkey Island and Fate of Atlantis.

Can't wait to try this one.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 08:02:58 AM »

Hideous uses Construct.

He says it's pretty early in its development so it's quite unstable, especially for large games.

Either way, good luck!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 09:16:38 AM »

Deadeye introduced me to construct, Melly Tongue

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 09:52:20 AM »

Hideous uses Construct.

He says it's pretty early in its development so it's quite unstable, especially for large games.

Either way, good luck!

Actaully, it's pretty late in it's development.  They're at version 0.97.6.  The next release will be 0.98, and will be feature-locked.  The rest of development will just be concentrating on bugfixes until v1.0.

It's actually pretty stable right now, barring of course the occasional flub like with the latest release.  But they had a hotfix available in about a day, so hooray Smiley

I'd say it'll probably only be a couple of months before it's ready to ship.  And about time too, I've been beta testing this thing for almost a year now Tongue

As far as the game progress is concerned, I finally started tiling last night, and plan to spend all day tiling once my coffee has kicked in.  Hopefully I'll have some new screens to show.

tweet tweet @j_younger
HP Sauce
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 10:39:02 AM »

Oooh just looked at Construct... looks nifty.

It would be great if people mentioned what they are making their games with in their opening post.  As a newbie I was wondering how so many people had crazy rapid development times... While I was still writing animation handling code a few people had posted finished projects!

Trawling through the posts, I've learnt about the existence Gamemaker and now Construct... it would be greatly informative for "beginners" (like me) if people advertised what they where using in post #1.
As it also serves as an endorsement of the software; I could google for "game making apps" and get 10 thousand results... but if i see people here making games with them , good looking, fun games; then it really helps show what, out of all the dross apps, actually works. 
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 11:41:15 AM »

I haven't hyped up the dev program for this simply for the fact that it is still in beta.  I wouldn't want people to try it out and then say "eh this sucks, it's buggy as hell" or something like that (which has happened).  Some folks don't seem to understand the concept of a beta release and just end up getting the wrong impression.

But as soon as v1.0 launches you bet your ass the first thing I'm doing is posting a thread here at TIGS along with some examples and tutorials in order to pimp it out.  It's a pretty easy program to get the hang of, and I think a lot of newbie game devs would benefit from it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2008, 01:40:14 AM »

Mockup time:

tweet tweet @j_younger
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »

Mmm... pretty! Loving the color scheme. Very atmospheric.

increpare
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 06:19:52 AM »

It's looking pretty solid dude: I look forward to playing it some Smiley

Also, does the title make anyone else think of the following?

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2008, 06:45:42 AM »

Thanks guys Smiley

I've been pixeling away, albeit slowly.  I've spent the last day drawing one stupid tree (and I'm still not happy with how it turned out Angry). 

I've got all the tiles for the first level done and in the game.  Now to work up some half-nekkid old man sprites and the dialogue/item inspect engine.  So aside from the tree debacle I'm making some progress.  Once I get all the tiles and cutscene graphics done it should move along much more quickly.

It's now 7:45am and I've been up all night.  Time for bed Tired

tweet tweet @j_younger
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »

Got the inspect-item stuff coded in.

Yeah right, old man... you're toast.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »

You never check outside old man. Not unless you're a half-naked teenager.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »

I dig the art style. All the objects seem to pop really well from the background.

However, you might try using some changes in tone and brightness to make some objects, like the bed for example, appear longer in the direction of the z-axis. I mean, it's not a huge deal, but the foot of the bed gives the impression of being about the same distance from the viewer as the end table.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 02:45:59 PM »

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic