Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:19:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookThis Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: This Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]  (Read 83054 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 02:57:13 PM »

:D

However, you might try using some changes in tone and brightness to make some objects, like the bed for example, appear longer in the direction of the z-axis. I mean, it's not a huge deal, but the foot of the bed gives the impression of being about the same distance from the viewer as the end table.

Yeah, I see what you mean.  The bed does that generic-rpg thing where the front of the bed is on a layer above the player, but it could probably use some more depth cues.  I'll add that to my "If I have time" list.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 06:44:04 AM »

This looks lovely! I'm really digging the art, and the premise is a really interesting one.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 07:06:44 AM »

That is very sexy.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2008, 07:10:01 AM »

Yeah, this is coming along great. I look forward to playing this.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2008, 11:59:57 PM »

Alas, there is no update this day.  I feel the gray mist of apathy descending, and see therein the forms of languorous devils which render my mind numb and listless.  They mock me ever so halfheartedly with their muttered, off-hand remarks about my lackadaisical work ethic - and their incessant yawning.  Always the yawning.  It's enough to drive a man lazy...

But I swear, I am not lazy.  You must believe me, dear reader, for these slothful and indolent creatures are real.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2008, 12:16:55 AM »

Being new here, i'm stumbling upon threads to see if anyone needs help with anything.
I played the game and the engine is working a-ok for me (lol bald cap), if you need any help with original music or pixel art let me know, i could ease the workload a bit, if not too much.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2008, 12:59:25 AM »

Always the yawning.  It's enough to drive a man lazy...

But I swear, I am not lazy.  You must believe me, dear reader, for these slothful and indolent creatures are real.

I see I'm not the only unfortunate soul to cross path with these foul beasts. Maybe we should get the little guys to meet up! Throw a tea party or something.

The screen shot is rather nice - gives out a lot of charm and warmth. Pajamas are a nice touch.

Also, Mir@k, that scrolling thingamajiggus in your sig distracts my eyes from your actual post. Perhaps you could centre or shrink it?
That was quick. Much better.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:07:09 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2008, 01:06:03 AM »

I find no use for it anyway.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2008, 12:07:13 AM »

Er, okay... for those who saw the previous post that was here in place of this one, it's been changed.  There was a little snafu with my build, I think it's all sorted now.

Anyway, here's the latest version: [link removed].  Windows only, DirectX 9.0c
Press Z to select menu items and to jump.  Press Up when the magnifying glass icon appears to inspect an item.

This is basically the whole (really short) first level up to the end cutscene (which has been temporarily replaced by something far more hideous).  To get back into the swing of things after my period of laziness I decided to do some sound work, so that's mainly what this build is about.  That and the inspect-item feature.

And yeah, I know there's not much to play, like I said before the main portion of the game will be played as a flashback.

Sometimes the game crashes when selecting "Start" from the menu, I think it has to do with XAudio2 not stopping the ocean sound properly before loading the level.  Luckily it only seems to happen rarely.

Feedback welcome, and let me know if you encounter anything weird.

@Mir@k:  Thank you for the offer, but I'll be going this one alone.  I've set a challenge for myself on this, to see if I can actually complete a project.

Edit: fixed broken link
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:40:38 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »

It looks and controls brilliant. I assume returning to the end is as far as is done. Can't wait to see more.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2008, 07:04:47 PM »

It takes about two minutes to either open or close the application. I'm using Vista, and this sort of thing happens to me often, so I can cope. Just make sure I can play the finished game in one go or something!
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2008, 08:15:10 PM »

Works fine for me, also on Vista.

Actually laughed out loud at the ending. OMINOUS.

Seriously though, controls nicely, looks great, even builds some atmosphere. It's very similar to what I envisioned when reading the idea! Yay.

Reccomendations: I think that "...until that terrible night" is laying on the FORBODE a little too thick. The chest is more than enough.

I think, at this Captain's somewhat advanced age, his jumping's a little too high - especially since you said most of the game is played in flashback? Young Cap'n should be capable of such athletic feats, but feeling a little frail may help the old-age tension. Just a thought.

Also, the slime's fantastic. Translucent, and kind of viscous. Jus' saying.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2008, 09:40:10 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, guys Smiley

As an aside, is that normal behavior for Vista?  I'm still using XP, so... Undecided

Reccomendations: I think that "...until that terrible night" is laying on the FORBODE a little too thick. The chest is more than enough.

Hmmmm-maybe.  I was actually thinking of cheesing it up even more.  I mean, this is Lovecraft we're talking about here.  He's not exactly the master of subtlety Tongue

I think, at this Captain's somewhat advanced age, his jumping's a little too high -

You're absolutely right, of course.  I just swapped the old man sprite into the young captain's movement engine.  I considered changing the jump but then I thought "eh, why bother?  What's a platformer anyway if you can't jump seven times your own height?"

Anyway, on the production front:
I didn't get anything done today because I had to take my girlfriend to the hospital.  Tomorrow: Halloween party.  Sunday: hangover.  Monday: back to work on the game.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2008, 03:36:22 AM »

Really nice-looking, and really atmospheric! I also laughed out loud at the ending. It plays like a cross between a platformer and a point-and-click adventure at the moment, which is nice.

I also have a suggestion, though. The way the captain swings his legs forward during the second frame of his jumping animation looks a bit odd. It might look a bit more natural if he brought his knees up instead.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
medieval
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2008, 12:43:56 PM »

Hilarious ending :D

It's very atmospheric, and I love the textboxes!
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2008, 03:13:11 PM »

This is great, keep up the good work. The ending was absolutely HIDEOUS! Tongue

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2008, 02:07:11 PM »

played the newest version looks great. few suggestions though.

can you possibly make a smooth scrolling transition as the player walks to the edge of the screen as opposed to the "move to next room".

I would slow him down a little bit especially if you want this game to be more ominous and spooky. he moves at like Mario speed, and something slower would probably fit better with the atmosphere.

also i would suggest adding a couple in-betweens in the walk cycle animation. that would smooth it out a little bit, the animation of the dripping water is so smooth and his run is very clunky. I can post some examples if you need anything, maybe even switching to a walk instead of the run.

Reecer6
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2008, 02:42:31 PM »

I can't believe Hideous hasn't seen this yet. I like how you put "The picture" Over the slime. lol
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »

This is excellent so far!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
mirosurabu
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »

Yes, the artwork is very nice. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic