Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:23:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookThis Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: This Cursed Rock [FINISHED] [Update: No-Sound version added]  (Read 82827 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2008, 08:07:29 PM »

i would suggest adding a couple in-betweens in the walk cycle animation. that would smooth it out a little bit, the animation of the dripping water is so smooth and his run is very clunky. I can post some examples if you need anything, maybe even switching to a walk instead of the run.

I'm choosing not to animate it further.  I could, yes.  I even went to school for animation, not that you could tell from this game.  It's just that I'm so slow at pixeling I have to draw the line somewhere. 

Plus I kinda like the jerky animation.  I think it's funny.

As for the hideous guest, here's the real uninvited guest:

I'm not too happy with the color on the dialogue box though so it's likely to change.

tweet tweet @j_younger
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »

Looking really good so far. I had a problem reading the texts, though; I'd press up to read, and then I'd move a bit to the side and the text would disappear, not letting me finish it. A possible solution to that could be making the zone where the text is still displayed larger. I'd also make it possible to read them more than once.

Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2008, 02:59:00 AM »

I'm not too happy with the color on the dialogue box though so it's likely to change.

IMO it fits perfectly there. It was something that struck me when I watched the screenshots and made me think of redesigning the dialogs in one of my projects - if I ever get to that. Just saying, methinks the box is good as it is.

Per aspera ad astra
captainbinky
Level 0

My dog's got no nose...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2008, 03:06:04 AM »

Yeah, I'd add my support for the nice green colour of that dialogue box. Seems to fit well if you ask me, and the blue version is lovely too.  Gentleman

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2008, 06:59:19 AM »

Okay then, I'll take your guys' words for it and leave the green.  Of all the colors green is the trickiest for me, I can never really trust my judgement on it.  It's my least favorite color, so it always looks a little off to me.

Looking really good so far. I had a problem reading the texts, though... I'd also make it possible to read them more than once.

Done!  I don't know why I made the decision to have the targets destroyed after reading them in the first place.  Seems silly now that I think about it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2008, 12:25:14 AM »

Aw dodongos. I was about to tell you about that. Yeah, being capable of examining things various times would be nice. Also, maybe some descriptions for the examinations can change depending on the events unfolding?

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »

Urgh, I finally got level 1 100% complete with a transition to the next scene and everything, including all the sound.  From here on I'm going to just do all of the graphics I need before I continue with the rest of the game.  Once I have the graphics done, it'll be (relatively) easy to just plug them in and go.  So here's the first art asset on this next leg of my journey.  The Magdalena:

This boat took me three friggin hours to draw WTF.  As always, critiques welcome.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »

Grin

Nice. Looks like it's made out of Clay, actually! Solid Clay, but clay none the less. I can't say I've got any critiques, either. Nicely detailed.
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »

3 hours well spent, it looks great. Can't pick out anything wrong with it.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2008, 09:50:15 AM »

I'd also make it possible to read them more than once.

Done!

Awesome! And good job, you seem to be moving pretty fast, all in all.

Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »

The ship looks awesome, maybe it could use some people on the deck but it looks great already.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2008, 03:46:30 PM »

...people?

It's manned by THE SOULS OF THE DAMNED.  Okay, not really.

Here's the pilot house (work in progress):

Baby steps...

tweet tweet @j_younger
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »

Looking good. Can't wait to play this.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2008, 08:15:21 AM »

Great detail! The compass on the map, feathery pen near the log book, everything's there! I would'nt trust that sailor though...something about his stare, looks like he's hiding secrets...dark, disturbing secrets  Smiley
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2008, 09:02:36 AM »

looks good the only thing I would watch would be the wheel and speed really stand out do to their dark outlines, if they will be animated or you can interact with them it might be okay but right now they really pop, I noticed them before I noticed the guys.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2008, 11:43:09 AM »

i really like how this all looks im very impressed good job!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »

the wheel and speed really stand out do to their dark outlines, if they will be animated or you can interact with them it might be okay

You're right, I'll turn down the contrast on the wheel. 

And actually this is just for a cutscene.  The game doesn't really start proper until the Captain gets to the island. 

Speaking of, I'm starting to get kind of worried about having all this story filler before the action starts.  I see no way to do away with it entirely because it's a setup for the ending.  The game is very story-driven but will have only one level of actual "game" in it, if you don't count the first level.  I guess I'll just try to keep the scene brief.

i really like how this all looks im very impressed good job!

Whoa... coming from such an accomplished artist I must say I'm flattered Tears of Joy

tweet tweet @j_younger
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2008, 12:26:12 PM »

Well, you might try to put some playability into the intro cutscene, even if it's little more than the game's basics.  I don't exactly how your game's gonna work, but a story's intro is also a convenient place to implement a tutorial of sorts.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2008, 12:32:43 PM »

if the story is good who cares how long the intro is. Metal gear solid 4 has like a  26 minute intro cutscene. go for it.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2008, 01:44:07 PM »

Yeah, but the game will only have one truly playable level.  The first level is basically just an interactive cutscene.  Yeah, you can run and jump, but it lasts all of thirty seconds.  Oh well, screw it.  I suppose I shouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, the pilot house is done:

From here on out I don't think I'll be posting any more screenshots or WIPs for fear of spoilers.  As for the previous statement I made about posting a demo engine of the combat... well, I guess I'll just have to hope it's good in the final product Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic